Thread: Crown Molding Outside Miters

Crown Molding Outside Miters

I am planning my first crown molding job. I have read that some carpenters use fast-setting glue to secure outside miters. Is this a good idea?

I use yellow glue and a small brad pinner to draw the joint tight. If you use CA glue you have to squeeze the miter tight and hold it while the glue sets. Not fun on a ladder IMO.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

Thumbs up Molding Corners

For years now I have used HOT MELT glue from a gun applicator. Just a cheap version w/good high temp melting stuff. If dries hat in seconds and holds very well so you can get it into place to nail in. I generally use a pin nailer on corners that are really small otherwise the 18 GA nail gun w/1-3/4" brads. When using this glue a little goes a long way & if you put to much on a joint you will notice a space between so a little bit is best. Best thing is its dry or hard in a few seconds and you can rub or wipe off the excess or if a cut is off you just scrap off the glue with a knife and are ready to go again. Also works great on stain grade material as you can see the excess for removal (no questions as to if you got it all prior to in spot stained). Hope this helps you in your decision.

Troy B

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I like to use TITEBOND TRIM & MOULDING GLUE .. it's thicker so it doesn't run, and it sets up faster. Don't need much open time for this application. Some painter's tape stretched across the joint and a couple of brads or pins will hold till it does setup.

Thanks

Thanks to all for the feedback. I've read a lot about crown installs but have never tried it. I have something called an "Easy Coper" which is a plastic jig to guide a jigsaw in making coped ends. I may give that a try. I also bought a couple of the fastcap "third-hands" extension poles which a lot of folks seem to like for holding the molding without a lot of helpers. The room has two outside corners and six inside corners so I will get a lot "opportunities" to learn.

Jerry - Three things that may or may not have been in the books you read, #1 Make sure that your last pieces of crown end up on an outside corner. That way you do not have to cope two end on the same board.
    #2 Do not nail your inside corners until you have the boards middle towards the end - this way you can push the loose ends up or down a little bit to help your cope work better. #3 A lot of back cut on your cope helps. Good luck.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Thanks

John - Thanks for your suggestions.

also, take a blunt rod-like object like the shaft on a screwdriver and run it over the corner to fold the edges together to conceal the gap even more tightly.