Thread: Blade height above cutterhead in G0490

Blade height above cutterhead in G0490

All,
    I finished the assembly of my jointer but ran into an issue I could not find a good answer for. In the manual that came with my jointer, it showed that you first set the outfeed table 1/16" (0.062) above the cutterhead, then adjust the bladess to the same height as the outfeed table. Effectively, the bladess are then 1/16" above the cutterhead.

The new manual for this jointer available from Grizzly has no such measurement. In contrast, the manual for the Delta DJ-20 shows this to be 0.010 and even mentions this is a critical measurement. Someone assembling this jointer from the new manual could end up with a random height, and that makes no sense to me.

It appears that the blades are protruding out from the cutterhead farther than they need to be with this setting, and that this height could be reduced a bit, say to 0.050 or 0.040. I am wondering if this would make the blades more stable or not.

So, for all you jointer old timers, what blade height should one target? What type of settings result from Jointer Pals? Any other rule of thumb?

Thanks,
    Bill

I have a G1018 8" jointer. May be similar.
    Did you get the knife setting jig with it? I got one from a GREAT fellow Creeker. (Thanks again David).

I thought I saw a height recommendation of .051 when using their jig, but can't find where I saw that.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 01-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Most gibs which hold knives in their fixed position also double as a chip breaker. The less knife protruding from the curved edge of the gib, the more effective the chip-breaker function.

Less protrusion may give a minutely more solid setup. But, in all reality, as long as all knives are set to equal height from the cutterhead, AND the outfeed table is set exactly with the arc of the knives, the jointer will function as it is intended. Doubtful you will see any difference.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip,
    That is good to hear. I kind of thought that would be the case, but thought I would ask just in case. I did not really want to go through the knife setting again since that was the most tedious part of the whole setup. Guess I am ready to rock and roll now. If I only had my 220 hooked up...

I did get a knife setting jig with my jointer but did not use it. The manual indicated that it, too, set the knife height to 0.062 which jives with the other information. I also found a manual for a different jointer that had a jig that once again used .062. But from looking at the knife protrusion, I think .051 might be a better number.

Maybe if I do this again I will try a slightly lower knife height and see if there is a difference.

Bill

I went to the shop and measured the jig.
    The knife rest is 5/32" higher than the feet.
    .156"
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Myk,
    Any chance there is curvature on the jig that affects this number? Just curious since it seems like a big number.

Bill

I'm wondering if the jig is for a 6" jointer.
    It does sit pretty high on the head.