Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning on getting a Festool TS 75 Need Feedback

Planning on getting a Festool TS 75 Need Feedback

I just returned from the service center for Porter Cable with the bad news that it would cost $75.00 to fix a manufacturing defect on my PC 323MAG saw. Yes it is out of warranty, purchased 5 years ago and has been used to break down six sheets of plywood but it has never been dropped or abused in any manner. The saw blade to base alignment is off by approximately 1/16" (or roughly the amount of the saw kerf ) measured from the front edge of the blade to the base, then the measured tooth rotated to the rear and again measured to the base.

I have always had difficulty cutting accurately with this saw but the problem became obvious when I tried mounting it to a plastic base for the AIO clamp.

I received some gift cards and money for Christmas and my Birthday so I am planniing on replacing the PC MAG with a Festool TS 75. Yes it is expensive but so are all the competitive track saws. Can anyone give me some advice on Festool vs Makita vs De Walt? Also other than the difference in depth of cut on the TS 55 and TS 75 Festools are there other considerations?
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

As far as tracksaws go, I have only used the TS55. That said, I love the darn thing. I noted in another thread recently that the folks I've seen commenting on TS75 v. TS55 have seemed to have given the tip of the hat to the '55--depth of cut and power don't seem to be much of a factor, and the light weight of the TS55 is a definite bonus.

Mine typically gets used for breaking down sheet goods. I used to allow 1/4" of slop and trim stuff square on the cabinet saw, but I'm getting more and more used to making final cuts using the Festool. It is that accurate and the cuts are that clean. Just don't drop your rails.

I think people like the TS75 instead of the TS55 for cutting hardwood since it has like 33% more power. It also comes with a 75" guide rail which will make cross cutting sheets easier than the 55" guide rail.

(You will think that a 55" guide rail is long enough to cut a 48" sheet easily, and it does do the job... however you need the guide to overlap on both sides so the sheet perfectly so the saw can enter and exit the cut fully supported. A 75" guide makes this a little easier IMO)

Sometimes I wish I got a TS75, but i've been 100% satisfied with my TS55. I've never needed greater cutting depth than 2" since I mostly use it for cutting sheet goods. If you plan to cut 1.5-2" thick material or like 3 sheets of plywood at the same time then get a ts75 for sure. A TS55 can cut two stacked 3/4" sheets of plywood or mdf with no problem at all.

Keep in mind that if you have a good table saw, then don't expect to be using the Festool that much since it's faster making repeatable cuts on a table saw.

The track saw excels at making plunge, angle, and very long cuts when attaching two guide rails end to end.

In summary, I think you'll be glad you got a track saw if you cut sheets a lot with a circular saw and straight edge. The accuracy and ease of use will just blow away your previous setup and your craftsmanship will have an immediate improvement.

Thanks Eric and Chris for your replies.

I do have a reasonable table saw (PM2000) but I rarely use it for the first cut on sheet goods as I find 3/4" sheets awkward and heavy for a 72 year old geezer to handle.

I hadn't considered the weight difference between the TS 55 and TS 75. I am going to try to get my hands on both to see which one seems appropriate for me. Thanks for pointing that out. I did think about the cost of blades but that wasn't a deal breaker.

I hope this purchase doesn't put me permanently on the slippery slope of Festool.
    Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school. Einstein

In my shop I remove the "S" from scrap wood.

5. One other thing to consider, Charles: you should get a Festool vac with whichever saw you end up purchasing. There are a couple of reasons for this:

-It's amazing to use a saw/vacuum combination which leaves virtually no dust after a cut.
    -You get a pretty significant discount on a vac when you purchase it as a package with a tool

I love my TS55. The TS75 wasn't out when I purchased it, but I would have made the same decision. The 75 is huge.

i have the TS75

I don't find the weight an issue. I like being able to rip a clean edge on rough cut hardwood and I have had instances where I was pushing the saw - not super fast but at a good clip - and noticed a change in pitch on the motor. If I had the smaller saw it might have been a problem.

for what I use it for the weight is not an issue - I could argue it is an asset - it sure nails the rail to the sheet goods without need for clamps. I pick up saw from a stand - put it on the rail, push it down the rail, put back on stand. this is not a saw you use on a ladder or overhead like a skil saw so the extra weight was not a factor in my decision.

I opted for the TS75 and I love the saw. I played around with the DeWalt and almost went that route, but Festool has been around longer and there are more accessories available for it so I opted for it instead. Cost-wise there was not much of a difference between it and competing brands. I liked the 75 over the 55 for the increase in depth for straightline ripping and for the increase in power. Weight is really a non-issue for me since it is sitting on the track -- these saws glide very smoothly.

I am sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.

Scot

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    (You will think that a 55" guide rail is long enough to cut a 48" sheet easily, and it does do the job... however you need the guide to overlap on both sides so the sheet perfectly so the saw can enter and exit the cut fully supported.
    Chris, remember it's a plunge saw... I use the 55" rail for cross cutting full sheets of plywood all the time and have never had an issue...

I have the TS55 and it is a great saw. I felt the TS75 being way to big/heavy especially if you're looking at combining it with a MFT table at a later time. If you get a chance try them both out.

If you talk to Bob Marino, sponsor of this site, then I believe it is possible to purchase a TS55 or TS75 with a specific rail length other than the one offered. It may not be clear on the festool web page but it should be possible to 'customize' it to some degree.

I have the 75, intended for breaking down sheet stock. Kind of wish I'd got the 55 instead, as it's pretty big and heavy. And it came with the 55" rail when I bought it. Wound up getting the 106 anyway to cut lengthwise. The 75 wouldn't help there anyway.

Been checking CL for a 55. Missed a great deal. I'd buy new if they sold them without the rail.

All that said, I did rip a bunch of 2" cherry with it, and it worked great. Getting the rail anchored and the saw supported was a challenge at times though.

Charles, not much talk about the Makita so far. I have no experience with it (I have the TS55) but there are a fair number of guys on the JLC forum that like it. It has a little more power that the TS55. Plus the Makita costs a good less. I'm not trying to talk you out of a Festool saw, they are of the highest quality, numerous accessories and great customer service. With the Festool you get a 30 day no questions asked return policy. That said it is worth looking at the Makita.

I have never used the Festool circular saw's before, so I was just wondering what makes it that much better than a regular circular saw. I know that it is a plunge saw & has the guide rail, but is that the only thing that sets it apart from other circular saws? You can purchase a nice circular saw with clamp & guides for around $250 - $300, and it looks like the Festool sells for over $500. Like I said I have never used the saw before & don't know a lot about it, so I am just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Killingbeck View Post
    I have never used the Festool circular saw's before, so I was just wondering what makes it that much better than a regular circular saw. I know that it is a plunge saw & has the guide rail, but is that the only thing that sets it apart from other circular saws? You can purchase a nice circular saw with clamp & guides for around $250 - $300, and it looks like the Festool sells for over $500. Like I said I have never used the saw before & don't know a lot about it, so I am just curious.
    This is one review of a track saw.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=94081

Other reviews are available as well on the web like 'thewoodwhisper' site.

What the TS55 has that others do not is the cut quality and the dust collection.

I have a 'regular' dewalt for rough work and both cut quality and dust collection sucks. It's huge but does have plenty of power. For fine work I turn to the TS55 every time. It is just a pleasure to use with the ct22 vac.

Also get the Vacuum

+1 on the opportunity to get the Vac with the saw.
    I have the TS55 and bought it with the CT22 vac.
    It is for sure the start of the slippery slope.

You will find yourself making the final cuts with the circular saw,
    as well as ripping a straight side on rough stock. I cut up my
    table saw rip sled. after I got the TS55.

It is terrific to make a safe cut, dust free.

Next will be the Domino..........

John

Charles, it definately is a slippery slope!!! but the tools are well worth the money, definately get a vac with either saw as dust collection is superb on festool products.

all that aside I got the 75 and have only needed the extra capacity and power a couple of times, its definately a larger saw so like you said put your hands on both and see what fits you. either choice is a winner in my book.