Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running your lathe in reverse

Running your lathe in reverse

Have a question as far as the reverse feature goes on your lathe. What do you guys use it for? I know sanding is one purpose but are there any others? And do I need a special scroll chuck if I run in reverse? Currently I have a brand new Oneway Talon sitting in its box waiting on my Delta 46-460 to arrive.

I run my Nova 1624 in reverse all the time. Firstly for the obvious sanding uses and secondly for inside turning of an undercut lip or something like that. It is much more comfortable to turn on the opposite side of the bowl if I am not bent all around with the gouge or scraper.

I am so used to this feature that I wouldnt even concider a lathe purchase unless it would do reverse.

No special chuck needed as long as the chuck has a "set screw" to lock it onto the spindle. Otherwise you'll have it in reverse and hear a higher pitched whirring sound for 2 seconds, right before the chuck and wood unscrew themselves off the lathe! (dont ask how I know that the set screw IS of vital importance)

heh. I'll be getting this lathe soon so I should check to see if my supernova 2 has a set screw, otherwise it could get expensive.

4. The Supernova 2 does have the screw. Whether it's still around is the real question .

I'm sure you can purchase one independent of the chuck, though, in the event that it has been misplaced.

I use reverse when removing a chuck or faceplate (after breaking it loose, of course). Always flip the switch back immediately, before taking a step to put the chuck on the shelf.
    Richard in Wimberley

I use reverse for sanding, and occasionally I turn in reverse when I have some really stubborn tear out to repair.
    I turn from both sides of the lathe, so turning in reverse is not as important to me, except for the stubborn grain thing.
    My SN2s didn't come with set screws in the inserts, so I drilled and tapped my own, instead of buying new inserts.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

My supernova2 inserts had them .....I just ignored them until the "whirring sound" !!

I recently installed a reversing switch on my Jet VS mini. I found it useful for reverse sanding and also unscrewing the long thread on my bowl buffs.

Jack - most of the time I use reverse for sanding but have used it a few times - at a very slow rpm - to unscrew a large blank. I have a Talon chuck and it came with 2 set screws. After having the chuck unscrew somewhat when reverse sanding - I have gotten in the habit of tightening them every time I use the chuck!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Super Nova 2

The Super Nova 2 has a set screw, but if you are using it on the Delta 46-460, then you need to make sure that you get a 1 X 8 adaptor that has a set screw also. Teknatool makes an adaptor with a set screw.

I do not have an adaptor with a set screw and I sand in reverse on my 46-460 all the time. I have never had the chuck back off. This is probably because I sand at a very low speed. I don't think I would try it with a gouge though.

Chuck for 46-460

Just wanted to say Delta sells a Nova chuck for the 46-460. Part #46-461
    James Paul

I sand in both directions and occassionally turn in reverse in order to see what I'm doing better on the inside of a closed rim. I've never used a set screw and I've never had a chuck or faceplate come loose. Doesn't mean that it couldn't happen; maybe I've been lucky. I also use a large wrench for tightening my 1 1/2" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Gaskins View Post
    Have a question as far as the reverse feature goes on your lathe. What do you guys use it for? I know sanding is one purpose but are there any others? And do I need a special scroll chuck if I run in reverse? Currently I have a brand new Oneway Talon sitting in its box waiting on my Delta 46-460 to arrive.
    Jack, your Oneway Talon has a setscrew opening, I don't recall if the setscrew comes with it though, it is metric thread BTW
    I do turn both directions and sand both directions as well, I turn outboard so either direction works for me.
    You should check where the setscrew will hit the spindle, if on the threaded part get a soft-tip setscrew or use a brass or lead piece under your setscrew, or else you will damage the thread on your spindle :-))
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

Grub screw cushion

I run my lathe (Nova DVR xp) in reverse often, mostly for sanding.To keep the grub/set screw from damaging the spindle, I put a #2 lead shot piece under the tip of the screw.

Another solution is to use a brass or nylon-tipped screw from some supplier like Winco http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn913.3/

15. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Sebring View Post
    I run my lathe (Nova DVR xp) in reverse often, mostly for sanding.To keep the grub/set screw from damaging the spindle, I put a #2 lead shot piece under the tip of the screw.

Another solution is to use a brass or nylon-tipped screw from some supplier like Winco http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section11/gn913.3/
    Yeah, I messed up the first 1/2 revolution of the first spindle thread (I have the same lathe as you) by not backing the grub screw out enough when removing the chuck. Had to break out the dremel and "erase" that part of the spindle thread. Kinda wishing they had used a softer metal for the grub screw (or a harder metal for the spindle!). ...