Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop!

Sawstop!

I know a few members have owned these machines for a couple of years. What are the likes and dislikes for them? Would you do it again?

The only bad thing I have to say about the SawStop, at least the contractor saw, is that the blade guard stinks for at least two different reasons. I replaced it with a SharkGuard and everything works much better.

If I upgrade to a cabinet saw, it will absolutely be a SawStop cabinet saw. That sums up how I feel right there.

Everytime I put my fingers in the blade it keeps stopping the saw. It is getting hard to get my work done!

I've had a PCS sawstop since the field testing program started last April. If I had to do all over, I'd definitely buy it again. In addition to the safety brake, the fit/finish of the saw is excellent.

HTH
    Andy

Lowers insurance premiums
    Solid well built saw with no "cheaped out features"
    Saves fingers and expensive trips to the ER
    Gives you better peace of mind that your employees are working with the safest saw made

Dislikes:

None yet

David, the SS is fairly pricey, as such you can expect most users to be pretty defensive of their decisions to purchase. I have the PCS, and overall am very impressed. There is no doubt that their manual was written in English, not translated, and the assembly packets set a new level ( the screws are blistered packed so that each size is separate, and the cards are color coded so you know what section applies to each part) The overall fit and finish is excellent, the adjustability seems to be top notch. The only downside, IMHO, was the contractor and ICS seemed to have too high a price premium for the blade brake technology. In contrast, I think the PCS and the new Uni are comparably priced which means that you get the blade brake for free. I haven't heard anything which would maket the new Uni much better than the PCS, other than its riving knife adjustment is way cooler, but that is offset by the blade brake. Other downsides to the SS is you need a separate brake cartridge to use a dado, and you can only use standard sized blades - for ex. you can't use a 7 1/4 blade on the saw since it will sit too far from the sensor - neither of those apply to me, but they could apply to some. One final upside is CS is excellent - I assume you would get the same CS from Delta, but from what I have read, not sure about some of the other competitors. I was told by someone who used the SS ICS that you buy the saw for the brake, but once you get it home you realize you would have bought it even if it didn't have the brake.

I have the PCS and smile every time I walk into the shop. It is a pleasure to use. Only negative is the cost but I'm over it...

Got the contractor saw and would absolutely do it again in a heart beat. A wonderful peice of machinery.

I have had the PCS saw since March and would not trade it for anything at this point. The only dislike I have is the price. $3,000 is a lot for a table saw, but insignificant if it saves my or someone else's fingers. It is a really nice table saw. To be honest the best table saw I have ever used. With the dust collecting guard it is really the cats but. I guess my other concern is the saw is too nice to cut green treated on. So I have to use my neighbors old jet for that.

I have the big ICS. The saw is everything I expected. My only complaint is that it takes a little longer to change between a regular blade and a dado stack... but I knew that going in to it.

In the end, it will not improve your woodworking. However, it may save a body part!

What's not to like? I have the original SawStop table saw (now called the Industrial Cabinet Saw). I'm pleased every time I use it. The contractors I've had working on my house and garage/shop the past two years have all been amazed at how nice it is and how easy it is to use. I need to add, however, that I'm using an Incra fence with mine instead of the SawStop fence, but I think I'd be just as pleased with their fence. Yes, it cost me a lot of money. I feel that it was money well spent and would recommend a SawStop to anyone especially now that they have a choice of saws.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

I have the ICS version (for a few months) and love it. Very accurate and well built. Every think you imagine is adjustable on it and safety features are not just limited to the brake and riving knife. It has the largest table size and the fence is great.

The only complain I have is it takes a bit longer to change blades as I have to spend 30 second to adjust the brake if the blade sizes are different (some are 25cm and some are 10"). Also, changing to dado brake takes twice as much time since I have to change the brake too, but that's Ok.
    Overall, I think this will be my last table saw and I'll buy it again.

Don, I'm considering an ICS and I want to transfer my Incra fence over. Other than $70 for the new fence and base, are there any issues to watch out for?

I have the "old" 5 horse ICS. The saw is the best saw I have used, and I am not in the least bit unhappy with it. I hope to never test the brake feature. Every time I start the saw, it makes me happy. Never have to worry about cutting a finger off. I was beginning to get afraid of my old contractors saw. I personally know 3 people who cut parts of thier finger(s) off. Being afraid of a saw is as dangerous as being careless IMO. Having the peace of mind to not be afraid of the saw, is worth buying the saw. As everyone else has already said, the saw is a top shelf saw. NO regrets.

Dislike? Cost...... But you get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Rodriquez View Post
    My only complaint is that it takes a little longer to change between a regular blade and a dado stack...
    Does the blade break work with a dado? Or is there a special break for dados? That question has been in the back of my mind since I first saw the SS advertised.

Thanks, Brian