Thread: New Laser up and running

New Laser up and running

Hello everyone

I have been lurking for some time and have learned much about lasers and Corel Draw from reading current and archived postings. Thanks for your generous sharing and support.

After a month of cabinet building, electrical wiring, duct work fabricating, trip after trip either up into the workshop attic or the lumber yard/hardware store/plumbing supply and back again suddenly everything was in place and the laser was ready. What now?

I reread the start up chapter in the owner's manual and using that as a check list started the laser and cut some samples. I was prepared for problems, but everything cut and engraved perfectly. Wow...

I have now moved on to producing finished samples for my client. I believe I'll knock his socks off. Design changes, adjustments, etc. are far easier and require much less time that previous methods. It's almost too easy. I am looking forward to the first production runs.

Bill B.
    Epilog Mini 24, 35 watt

Welcome to the Creek, Bill- nice to see someone new dive in and not hit a rock. What kind of work are you doing with your new toy? We'd love to see pictures if you have some!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Hi Bill,

Welcome to lasering. I have the same model laser you do, but an older brother. Using it really is simple, if you follow the directions in the manual! You'll outgrow the manual soon enough.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blackwell View Post
    I believe I'll knock his socks off
    With that attitude I'm sure you will!

Gary

Now you walk around looking for things to Laser. Everything you see will become a "maybe I can laser that"! I think if affects everyone that way.

'And' as the old joke here goes, your cat is probably hiding already

Welcome..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a single OEM customer of many years standing. Primarily I will be cutting and engraving various hardwoods. Mostly small detailed filigree work and fine detail engraving. The laser will allow enhancements to a long standing product line. I work out of a small shop behind my home. I am exclusively OEM and have no plans or desire to solicit projects from the public.

I spent considerable time researching various CNC routing machines. They are highly capable. However, I concluded that for the small scale detail work I do the CNC routers could not compete with a laser.

Fortunately I started with extensive experience with Adobe Illustrator and even Apple's MacDraw. That has certainly given me a quick start with Corel Draw. Even so, I learn something new about Corel Draw every time I read your various postings. (Thank you for your generous help.) I often have to go back and try to figure out how I did something that I completed a day or two ago. I hope that gets better with practice.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    'And' as the old joke here goes, your cat is probably hiding already

Welcome..

I once knew a song about a Mister Johnny Verbeck and his wonderful sausage machine and how all the neighbor's cats and dogs would never be seen no more... Perhaps Mr. Verbeck has now become a laserhead.

Hmmmmm
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

If you have extensive experience with Adobe, why are you using Corel in your Epilog? The more recent drivers run Adobe perfectly. I do all my laser work in Adobe.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    If you have extensive experience with Adobe, why are you using Corel in your Epilog? The more recent drivers run Adobe perfectly. I do all my laser work in Adobe.

Dave
    I used Illustrator prior to my retirement. All of that hardware and software was returned to my former employer. It was much out of date anyway. I am using Corel Draw in order to be compatible with my client and a large chunk of the rest of the world. Either Adobe or Corel would work fine. Corel Draw was available and already installed on the PC I have now. The graphics I require are pretty basic outline drawings. There is probably free software available that would work just as well.