Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: woodworking and RVs

go neander: a saw, a chisel, a vise and some wood are about all you need

We lived full time in a motorhome for nearly 15 years and I have enjoyed woodcarving all this time. Tools are small and items made can be complex or simple. I have sold items and given away items. I do a 9" band saw for cutting blanks for carving. I use basswood for carving and have never been questioned about bring wood from out of the area. You can carve inside the rv or outside. A lot of the campgrounds have woodworking shops with equipment for cutting larger blanks.

Bob

Check out this site http://turningaroundamerica.com/

Beth Ireland outfitted a van to carry lots of equipment and she also lived in it while touring the country teaching woodworking.

that was a seriously cool link, ellen!

We lived in a 31 ft. 5th wheel for 6 yrs. after retirement. Toured the US. mostely out west. I had a scrollsaw and probably used it for 25 or so hours a week. never did stay in a campground that had a workshop. Sold some cuttings and gave some away. I did mostly pictures of wildlife as it is hard to cut a straight line for boxes etc. It is doable if the desire and planing is there.

6. I think it really depends on how much and what kind of work you want to do. If you want to do enough to do craft shows and sell stuff, a box trailer shop would be nice. What tools would be in it would depend on what you plan to make. Finding some kind of niche that you are interested in where there is demand for a smallish product is the key IMO.

If your niche is something like carving or scroll sawing you can get by pretty easily without the trailer and not much in the way of tools. Just drag out what you need and work outside.

I always thought something like the old DeltaShop would be pretty cool for use on the road, if you could find one. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=34626
    A Shopsmith might also be an option and they are still made. Old ones are pretty available used.

Blog Entries
    The extent of my woodworking while camping consists of sitting around the campfire making tinder out of a block of cedar & a block plane. For me, it's one of the most relaxing things there is.

i have a fully equiped shop at home. when we travel I take along my carving tools and some precut blanks and carve. very relaxing, no noise, no dust, some chips. I think the only thing you might ever need would be a small bandsaw to cut blanks. everything you need can be carried in a fruit box size container. When we were on our annual winter vacation to Maui, every year at the same beach there were two couples setting in the shade doing craftwork. the two guys were carving and one of the ladys was painting some sort of big gourds. looked like a nice way to pass the time, people are always interested and would stop and talk and I think it would be very easy to sell a few things if you wanted to. as for us, we went snorkling, also a good way to pass the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Staehling View Post
    I think it really depends on how much and what kind of work you want to do. If you want to do enough to do craft shows and sell stuff, a box trailer shop would be nice. What tools would be in it would depend on what you plan to make. Finding some kind of niche that you are interested in where there is demand for a smallish product is the key IMO.

If your niche is something like carving or scroll sawing you can get by pretty easily without the trailer and not much in the way of tools. Just drag out what you need and work outside.

I always thought something like the old DeltaShop would be pretty cool for use on the road, if you could find one. http://www.vintagemachinery.org/phot....aspx?id=34626
    A Shopsmith might also be an option and they are still made. Old ones are pretty available used.
    You sure the guy is still checking for advice after 9 years?