Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This looks cool!

This looks cool!

Anybody here have a "portable carpentry workshop?" Looks like a great solution for a small workshop.

http://www.rollingtrades.com/

It's a cool idea, but at almost $5K that's a lot to get a compact home workshop.

Yeah saw this on "Under Construction" on DIYnet.

Great product if you are a pro, I guess. high price makes it out of reach for most shop guys. 5K can buy me a lot of nice tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Anybody here have a "portable carpentry workshop?" Looks like a great solution for a small workshop.
    I see at the bottom of their site that they are looking for a firm to mass produce these. Yikes. Are they still in prototype?

Yep, this is a cool idea. This is a very heavy unit built for serious duffers with little space. It reminds me of those all-in-one contraptions that do it all, just not all at the same time. At a commercial site, you need to be able to use more than one tool at once when you've got 3 or 5 guys working. If you don't have 3 guys at the jobsite, you won't be able to get it off of the truck. I hope they split the concept into 2 units. A line of workers waiting to get at the miter saw is tough to put up with.

At nearly 5K it ain't cheap but if it lasts 20-30 years.....
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have been working on one of these for the last few days out of scraps I have had in my shop. I am only going to have about 50 bucks into mine. I am pretty sure 5,000.00 is about 4,800 to much for that.

Blog Entries
    I think most guys on this site are capable of building something equivalent to that customized to what they use or like to do or need for well under 5k.
    The problem I for see is that you need so many different configurations and locations for tools eventually this thing would stay on the truck. Currently I am doing flooring on a 3rd level of my house, it would not be easy of cost effective to walk down to my saw and back up.
    In my area alot of pros use small box trucks. This gives them enough room to have basically a rolling shop.

Another thought

My son said that your should never try to sell a product that someone looks at and says "I can make that" because they will make it, or won't pay the money for you to do it.

I like the concepts and I am surprised that no one has plans or what not. The parts are available at any one of a number of sellers, like Rockler, Woodcraft, Lee Valley.

I thank Jason for posting this.
    Thanks,
    Phil Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    I have been working on one of these for the last few days out of scraps I have had in my shop. I am only going to have about 50 bucks into mine. I am pretty sure 5,000.00 is about 4,800 to much for that.
    I'm figuring that the hardware alone is above $600.00. Price the 6" castors, hinges, latches, multiple drawer sides, door stays, rollers......

The price is only a little high if you compare to high-end shop boxes and benches. I'm guessing it weighs 300 pounds empty. That's a lot of steel.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

9. It's basically a mobile base for a table saw. In fact, someone just posted one with a Jet cabinet saw on it.. Theirs looked really mobile, too..

That said, it's nifty how they added in the miter saw. But beyond that, there's really not that much more functionality over a well thought out, home built mobile saw cabinet.

Yeah, the miter saw functionality is what really got my attention.

I'm with you guys, though. I'd probably try to make something similar myself before buying one.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    It's basically a mobile base for a table saw. In fact, someone just posted one with a Jet cabinet saw on it.. Theirs looked really mobile, too..

That said, it's nifty how they added in the miter saw. But beyond that, there's really not that much more functionality over a well thought out, home built mobile saw cabinet.
    Last edited by Jason White; 01-06-2010 at 7:46 PM.

Looks like you would have to invest in a power tail gate to get in or off the truck.

Would not want to try and ramp that up into a truck.

Greg

I'm a little slow in my old age; it took me two "watchings" of the video to note the big sign that said "Does NOT include tools." Whoa, that means you have to buy the miter saw, table saw, all those router bits and all the boxed tools shown in the little cubbyholes, in addition to the $4,850 for what amounts to a heavy duty rolling platform.

Seems a bit out of line for the non-professional. $6,000 to $7,000 will pretty well equip a very nice, basic workshop.

I agree, too, that hefting that thing on and off the truck would be the work of two strong men and a couple horses.

Doug

I guess I'm what you guys are refering to as a "pro" so I'll weigh in.
    I regularly set up a shop on my job sites, table saw, chop saw, router table, festool saw, shop vac dust collector, etc. I would have no use for this thing at all. It makes more sense to me to have individual work stations for each machine. That way they don't conflict, and I can set up the shop myself.
    Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
    PI

$5,000 worth of Festool on a $300 commercial cart would do a better/cleaner job in an indoor environment, on an outdoor worksite 2,500 in tools would do a better job and more than one person can work. Plus I got the impression it doesn't include tools so figure $1200 or so for the TS SCMS and router and it looks like a gimmick or at best "something I could build for less".

It looks like a three stooges skit waiting to happen. Larry is trying to miter some casing, Curly tries to rip down some trim boards while Moe is making some cove molding on the router table (mold one side and spin, mold the other). Yup, that little box will make any team of carpenters feel just like three stooges.

I notice in their adds that one is being lifted with a fork lift, another being hoisted by three guys with a lift gate. Can you say HEAVY? I guess any Knack box left on a job side is going to be heavy, and that might be more useful than a big hole full of tools like a Knack box, but that seems excessively expensive and excessively heavy for daily transportation, unless you usually bring a fork lift or a bobcat to the job site for the off load. And clustering the tools in one small area? Totally three stooges.