Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sad Unisaw Story

Sad Unisaw Story

The company I work for has for as long as I have worked here had a 1950's Era Delta Unisaw that now reside in the scrap metal bin.

One of our main't guys had a nasty kick back accident and now the saw is being scraped. He was "ripping" a board much wider than it was long, the board racked slightly between the fence and the blade and now the saw is unsafe. Picture someone pushing a 2' long piece of 1" by 6" between the fence and blade.

I tried to recuse it but b/c it's a "safety hazard" it can not be sold.

I am not sure that this is in the right section so Mods, please move if it's not.

I am going on the assumption that the saw itself is fine/working and was just declaried a safety hazard because some idiot used it wrong.

Since this now resides in the scrap bin I would think that if could be fair game for a dumpster diver. They are not selling it that way or you could just buy it for scrap prices.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Perhaps you can educate them (lots of material - well documented online) as to the ONLY things that can cause kickback .. .. alignment & operator error.

Check the alignment .. show them the numbers .. offer to correct if it is out of alignment. Maybe do the demo that Marc Adams does so well in his demonstrations, using a piece of styrofoam board to show the dynamics of a kickback.

If they won't budge, try to make friends with their scrap guy and buy it as soon as it hits their yard. Tell him "they" have found it to be unsafe, and that you only want it for spare parts, 'cause you don't want an unsafe tool in your shop, and HE sure doesn't want the liability for having sold an unsafe piece of equipment to an unsuspecting customer who will probably be injured by it, with the resulting lawsuit and all .. .. ..

Right now it's sitting with a bunch of other dis-positioned equipment on a pallet. It will be picked up by the scrap metal people and presumably melted down.

It is a safety-hazard due to the fast it was used incorrectly. Just hitting your thumb with an unsafe hammer. It's a shame.

They've replace it with a SawStop Cabinet Saw, complete with a 52" fence, dust collection, all the bells and whistles. Still not safe to try and crosscut between the fence and blade.

Strip it down and buy if for parts then reassemble it in your garage.

Back up and take it.

Brian-

(the following is a joke).

If I were you, I would take that new SS and make sure I was the first one on it. With all the people standing around, I'd crosscut a 1x6, 2' long and have the same kick back happen. Maybe the board will catch one of the "decision makers".

I wonder what saw they would buy after the venerable SS had a kick back too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slupek View Post
    Strip it down and buy if for parts then reassemble it in your garage.

Good idea. Try it!

The Sawstop probably won't stop the kickback as described. Hope they don't think it will.......

9. Quote Originally Posted by brian c miller View Post
    Still not safe to try and crosscut between the fence and blade.
    You're correct there... So.. How much of his hand did he end up loosing to warrant such a harsh reaction to the saw.

When the truck pulls up, slip them $100 and buy the scrap metal from them.

I'd see if they'd let you write a letter and have it notarized, offering to take or purchase the "unsafe" saw for "parts", releasing your employer of any liability for any damages from the transfer of ownership or use of the saw.

As others have said, I would try to be around when the scrap metal guy comes along to pick it up. Hopefully $100 cash would be plenty. Heck, the driver will have less work to do (less to pick up) and may happily take it. If you can't be there, just find out where it's going to and buy it off the yard. It's not like they just back the truck up to a smoldering inferno and melt it down right away.

Your company should invest some money into training as well. Yes the SS is a great saw, but it's not like you can't hurt yourself on it.

Rescuing a Valuable Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    I'd see if they'd let you write a letter and have it notarized, offering to take or purchase the "unsafe" saw for "parts", releasing your employer of any liability for any damages from the transfer of ownership or use of the saw.
    Of the several suggestions offered here, I'd try this one first. However, it is likely not to work because the company legal adviser will see nothing to gain. Just saying "no" is safe and reliable for lawyers.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Yes the SS is a great saw, but it's not like you can't hurt yourself on it.
    Nothing like a board to the face or groin to solidify that, which I'm sure will be the case making unsafe cross cuts like had happened..

Stupid morons will realize they have spent money for nothing when the idiot operator has another accident! Don't try to educate the guy. Trouble is,I'm the kind of fool who would try to educate him. It never seems to work,though.

The Unisaw will sit out there and rust up. If the Saw Stop has a more powerful saw motor,it will kick back even worse!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-06-2010 at 11:54 AM.