Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Wife pulled a fast one on me

My Wife pulled a fast one on me

I got a phone call today while at work, it goes like this.....

Hi this is so and so from UPS and we would like to know what time would be good for tomorrows delivery.

ME:.... ummm any time I guess

Her: well this will be a freight delivery and some one needs to be present.

Me: OH?? Umm...

Her: (with a tone like, are you lost or something mister?) It's a freight delivery from Grizzly Industrial.

Me: Oh wow!! Well uh.. any time is fine what works for you?

And the rest is history....

So to rewind a bit, my wife had asked me about my table saw researching a week or so ago, and acted all interested and wanted to know which one I had picked. I told her it was the G0605X and she said oh that looks like a nice one.

Well little did I know that later that night she had placed an order with Grizz and now my saw will be here tomorrow around 12-4pm. I knew this was coming but had no clue SWMBO was going to pull the trigger for me

Gotta love that woman.

So what do I need to check for before signing for the grizzly boxes?

Aaron....first....pinch yourself and make sure you aren't dreaming. Once you know you are awake, check the boxes for any sign of damage. If there is the slightest sign of damage, don't sign until you have opened the box, unpacked it and inspected it for damage.

Then if there is damage, note it on the weigh bill or better yet, call Grizzly and find out how they want you to handle it.

Good luck!

It might help to give the little lady and hug and a thank you....and dinner out at her favorite restaurant followed by movie, etc.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Cool!! Ditto what Ken said. My UPS Freight driver actually notated the damage on the shipping bill himself.
    And you are a lucky dog with that wife of yours....I'll be lucky to get mine to sign for the replacement parts that are due here tomorrow from Grizzly!! (Just kidding! Honest!!!!) Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

You've got a keeper there, Aaron.

I purchased the G1023 saw on sale in mid-December. Picked it up at the UPS freight facility because they could set it on my truck with a forklift. There was some crumpling and a small puncture in the saw box, and a major hole in the fence box. I noted all noticeable damage to the cartons on their packing slip, as suggested by Grizzly's website, and headed home with the damaged boxes. When I got home I sent them an email notifying them of the carton damage and said it would be a couple weeks before they would be assembled. They replied the next day, said they created a case number, notified the freight department of the potential damage, and asked me to notify them of any damage I found.

When I finally got my shop wired for 240V, and the saw unpacked and assembled, there was no damage to the fence but one of the cast iron extensions was damaged and the cabinet was scratched. One email to Grizzly and they sent a replacement wing and some touch-up paint, no questions asked. Didn't even have to send the original wing back.

I also had a defective part on the Shop Fox mobile base, which was shipped separately. That part was also replaced, no questions asked.

Given this no-hassle experience, I would say it is not necessary to unpack everything before you sign the slip. Grizzly will make sure you are satisfied. Just be sure to note any and all damage you see - it helps them settle any claims with the freight carrier, which in turn, keeps us customers happy.

I have the G0651 (the G0605X's little brother) and love it. Be sure to have someone help you set it up, its a chore by yourself. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Larru View Post
    I have the G0651 (the G0605X's little brother) and love it. Be sure to have someone help you set it up, its a chore by yourself. Enjoy it.
    I tried to get my Firefighter neighbor to help out with the unloading tomorrow but he's on shift so It'll be me and the driver I guess. I won't get a chance to set it up for a few days though work first, play later.

And Ken, your spot on with the pinching. I was still in disbelief for at least an hour after hanging up the phone.

So I guess just note all the exterior conditions of the packaging and wave the driver goodbye then. I'll be taking pictures as I go so I guess I should be covered. I've read a ton (and now 1 more, thanks Shawn) of good reviews on Grizzly so I'm not overly worried about getting the shaft, I just want all bases covered.

Make your wife help. Its her fault!

With Grizzly, just noting exterior damage is sufficient, no need to open the box.

Wanna wife swap?

Craig

You guys are funny

Like my 4month pregnant wife is going to help move 500 lb boxes I suppose it might not hurt to ask....

And sorry Craig, unless yours comes with a 4x4 and a bass boat I'll have to pass.

You should've joked with her that you yourself ordered it a day before and were surprised they could get it to you so fast

Sounds like the wife is setting yo up for a new kitchen..

aren't wives wnderful. I saw a joke yesterday that applies:

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE:
    1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home,
    who cooks from time to time, cleans up and has a job.
    (and order you tools)

2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you
    laugh.

3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust
    and who doesn't lie to you.

4. It's important to have a woman, who is good in bed
    and who likes to be with you.

5. It's very, very important that these four women
    do not know each other.
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

You are probably going to get a hydraulic lift gate truck. The driver's responsibility is to get it on the ramp and on the ground. That will generally mean he has a hydraulic pallet jack. Offer him a $20 bill to roll it into your shop. That has never failed for me yet!

Good luck and congratulations...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Just read your post to my wife... just in case she picks up on how to razzle dazzle a husband... wish me luck!