Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructions for PVC-based vacuum chucks?

Instructions for PVC-based vacuum chucks?

I'm building my own vacuum chucks out of PVC/ABS unions on 2" MDF backing plates with CA-reinforced, threads. So far I've made a 5", a 4" and a 2.5".

I just can't figure out what to use for the "gasket" material. I bought several types of weather stripping but none of them can make the curves, especially on the smaller chucks.

Here you can see where I tried to take one around the perimeter of the 5" and it just came off after the afternoon. On the 2.5" nothing could make the bend so I tried a "segmented" approach but it too didn't stick.

Can anyone point me to a good set of instructions? Or give ideas on good material to use?

Thanks in advance.

Below are a couple of pictures of the back for reference. You can see I thoroughly soaked everything important with thin CA.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg - I am sure there are lots of options but I use a thin sheet of closed cell foam (very light packing material), just cut a small slot in it for airflow and hold between the chuck and blank until the turning is seated. That way I don't worry about anything like glue or if the seal will hold.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have had a really good seal with just the PVC, having turned a nice rounded edge on it. Also used 1/8" thick closed cell foam, similar to wetsuit material, I found small pieces for sale at a foam shop.

In my area, Michaels sells sheets (about 4x6) of self stick foam. Works great and I sometimes use it for jamb chucks as well. My vacuum chucks look about the same as yours except white pvc. I use CA glue on the threads to help form them and then use shellac to seal the unit.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

my wife had an old yoga pad laying around, it was like 3ft x 5ft. made a great gasket, should be real easy to find now at target or somewhere.

I just used a closed cell foam.

Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com

Veneer suppliers sells tape made just for vacuum chucking and vacuum clamping.

Here is the link.

http://www.veneersupplies.com/produc...oducts_id=2320

I haven't tried any yet but plan on getting their vacuum chucking kit.

Quinn

vacuum chuck seal

I think you will find the thick seal shown in your pics will allow to much movement of your piece as you turn it. It is my experience that the thin material from Michaels is superior for this application and also cheap.
    Peter

Hi,

There is some foam that comes with the packing materials of any electronic equipment. This is about 1/32" white foam. I use it and it works great!

Hope this helps!

I got this idea from someone at the Virginia Symposium about three years ago but cannot remember his name. He suggested rubber/vinyl(?) hose from the big box store.

Carefully slit the hose length wise and secure the ends with electrical tape. No need to glue the hose.

It works,
    John

I use closed cell foam on mine. Seals great and cheap. Here are mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

+2 with What Bernie said. But....mine are prettier! I use blue ones...Bill...:-)

I have had no problems with the Fun Foam from Michaels. Here is a picture of my 3 chucks all with the Fun Foam at a buck a sheet. Mine are put on with spray adhesive. When they get a little ratty, they are easily replaced.
    God is great and life is good!

Greg,
    Don't use MDF in your chucks. MDF can separate quite easily and send your piece flying (DAMHIKT). Instead use any close grained hardwood and turn it with a shoulders to match the PVC fitting and your chuck.

As others have said, the thick weatherstripping you are showing is too thick and can allow the piece to shift as you turn without a live center engaged. White closed-cell foam sheets or neoprene will work well for the gasket material.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 01-07-2010 at 10:28 PM.

Thank you all for all your responses! I'm sure I'll find a solution in your notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hutcheson View Post
    I just used a closed cell foam.

That is what I used, Rick. Except mine was 1/2" thick by 1-1/4" thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    In my area, Michaels sells sheets (about 4x6) of self stick foam. Works great and I sometimes use it for jamb chucks as well. My vacuum chucks look about the same as yours except white pvc. I use CA glue on the threads to help form them and then use shellac to seal the unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lamb View Post
    I think you will find the thick seal shown in your pics will allow to much movement of your piece as you turn it. It is my experience that the thin material from Michaels is superior for this application and also cheap.
    Peter
    Ok, I need to go to Michael's for other stuff anyway. I'll pick some up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grounds View Post
    I got this idea from someone at the Virginia Symposium about three years ago but cannot remember his name. He suggested rubber/vinyl(?) hose from the big box store.

Carefully slit the hose length wise and secure the ends with electrical tape. No need to glue the hose.

It works,
    John
    I REALLY like this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    I use closed cell foam on mine. Seals great and cheap. Here are mine.
    Is that the Michael's foam?

GK