Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FRUSTRATED! Epilog changing home

FRUSTRATED! Epilog changing home

Not sure what is going on, I have had my laser for over a month, made hundreds of items... Was in the middle of a project last night and I notice that on the second pass of rastering on a project that the whole artwork had shifted over about halfway down... I scratched my head, threw the bad piece out, checked home which is now exactly the same amount offset to the right as the artwork is, I reset it and scratched my head... It ran all day just fine...

Fast forward to tonight....

I have a large piece of granite that I am working on for our church, I am on the second pass and everything is looking FANTASTIC, I turned around and worked on the workbench... About 2 minutes later I turn around and guess what everthing has shifted to the right about and inch and a half and now the granite is screwed....

I will be calling Epilog in the morning, anyone have any ideas? I have searched but can't find anything on the net....

Doug
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

I have heard this often, The reasons
    1) Dirty encoder strip or
    2) Bad ribbon cable on the X axis

Kim

Well its definately not dirty, I clean it every other day... still looks brand new... Where is this encoder strip you speak of?
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    Well its definately not dirty, I clean it every other day... still looks brand new... Where is this encoder strip you speak of?
    <chuckle> I assume if you don't know where it is, you've never cleaned it. I don't know how old your machine is, but if it's seen some dirty substrates (wood, plastic, etc.), it may be due for a good cleaning. Look under the top cap of the carriage rail... clear strip that goes across the entire rail.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Doug the encoder strip where you may have dirt is located under the gantry head cover, just above the lens.

http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_linearencoder.htm

for cleaning the encoder strip.

Get your manual from here and I suggest as Dan hinted you look to see what is required from you as the user
    http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_manuals.htm
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

That is a nice link Frank !!!!

Thanks,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    <chuckle> I assume if you don't know where it is, you've never cleaned it. I don't know how old your machine is, but if it's seen some dirty substrates (wood, plastic, etc.), it may be due for a good cleaning. Look under the top cap of the carriage rail... clear strip that goes across the entire rail.
    Your assumption is incorrect, just because I don't know the name of it doesn't mean that I didn't clean it. I followed the instructions on cleaning to a T... Do you know the actual technical name of everything on your car or do you just know how to clean it and use it?

Assumptions can often be very wrong.....

Doug,

Did you get a hold of technical support this morning and is everything back up and running? If not, are parts on their way?
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Quote Originally Posted by Peck Sidara View Post
    Doug,

Did you get a hold of technical support this morning and is everything back up and running? If not, are parts on their way?
    It has been in Intermittant issue over the past couple of days, I am going to clean it again in a few minutes...

One thing I know to be true out of this ordeal is that I have confirmation that I purchased the right product... I usually work all night ( a personal preference) and get to sleep about 5am for a few hours each morning then get up about 11am and get back to work again...

This morning I woke to a voicemail on my cell phone from Engraving Concepts who I purchased my laser from, I had an email too asking if I resolution on this problem that I posted... How refreshing it is to see a company that was so proactive to my needs. Someone there read the thread and contacted me! I know that we will get this irritating problem fixed but more importantly I will have support in the future if I need it...

THANK YOU Epilog and Engraving Concepts...

Doug

Blog Entries
    Doug,

I was joking, lighten up. Most people who dig deep enough into their machines to clean the encoder strip know what it is by that point... something went wrong and someone suggested cleaning the encoder strip, that's how people learn about it.

BTW, I do know what everything is called on my car, from the A-pillar to the A-arm, and the cam shaft to the cam follower. But I enjoy cars...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Doug,

I was joking, lighten up. Most people who dig deep enough into their machines to clean the encoder strip know what it is by that point... something went wrong and someone suggested cleaning the encoder strip, that's how people learn about it.

BTW, I do know what everything is called on my car, from the A-pillar to the A-arm, and the cam shaft to the cam follower. But I enjoy cars...

I'm pretty light, I know you were joking... it was a long night and I was tired when I typed the message.... Sorry if I came across wrong.. I have made a living always having the answers... This is the first "Job" I have ever had that I wasnt the Subject Matter Expert so I am not used to being dependent on others... I watched all the videos before I got my laser, had artwork, plans, all sorts of things like that then to be somewhat stuck at 3am was not in my schedule...

I did pull the cover off again and cleaned it again, nothing visible was on the Qtips so maybe there was just a small piece in the wrong place... We will see what happens over the next few days...

Thanks again all for offering the links and tips... I need all the help I can get, one day I will be able to offer something back to you...

Doug

Blog Entries
    Check the connection to the encoder strip sensor, too...a bad connection (or sensor) would have the same effect as a dirty strip.

Also try reversing the ribbon cable.
    Bill Jermyn
    Waterloo Engraving
    Kitchener, ON
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt, Corel X3, Photograv, Wacom Intuos 3 6X8 graphics tablet

Why We're Here!

THANK YOU Epilog and Engraving Concepts...
    Doug,

That's why we're here to help when/if we can! Thank YOU for your business. We're looking forward to working with you for many years to come.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    How refreshing it is to see a company that was so proactive to my needs. Someone there read the thread and contacted me!
    For the life of me, I will never understand why this forum isn't jam packed with reps and techs from companies. I also don't understand why laser manufactures don't advertise here either.

There are literally 100's and 100's of laser owners here and so many people that are looking for lasers go to google and Sawmill Creek comes up at the top of the list. It's one of the first places so many people looking for lasers come to see about machines and get educated.

Yet you can count on one hand, maybe going into the second hand, how many people like Jeanette and her company are actively using this forum to help customers and build relationships.

Great job Jeanette! That's what a company that takes $20,000 from you is supposed to act like! Well done!
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 01-08-2010 at 1:38 PM. Reason: typo
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.