Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FRUSTRATED! Epilog changing home

Back to frustrated again.... Since my first post I have cleaned the machine as instructed and things have been doing okay. I havent had to do anything with multiple passes since the last granite debacle. I have worked on wood, acrylic, I have made dog tags and done some aluminum but nothing that required more than 1 pass.

I wanted to get this piece completed for the church that I am working for, I put in a second piece of granite tonight and the first pass was beautiful! Crisp clear defined lines and I was very excited... I started the second pass and everything lined up until about 2 inches down and the lines moved over just a small amount, maybe a 1/16 of an inch, then about 1 inch on down the thing jumped over about 1/8 of an inch wasting yet another pieces of very expensive granite.....

So we know the machine is clean, so it looks like a call to Epilog in the morning....

Here are a couple of pictures to show what it is doing...

DSC_0041-sized.jpg

DSC_0041-sized-cropped.jpg
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Have you tried flipping the ribbon cable on the x-axis? That is a temporary solution until you can order a new one.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Have you tried flipping the ribbon cable on the x-axis? That is a temporary solution until you can order a new one.
    Order a new one, this laser is only about 2 months old....
    "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
    On the Internet in some quarters, freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
    "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Quote Originally Posted by doug king View Post
    Order a new one, this laser is only about 2 months old....
    Doug,
    The ribbon cable could be loose, the connector holding the cable could have a bad/intermittent connection. Does it always happen in the second pass and at the same location? Are you rastering the same file twice. usually with bad connection it tends to shift and stay shifted.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    Doug,
    The ribbon cable could be loose, the connector holding the cable could have a bad/intermittent connection. Does it always happen in the second pass and at the same location? Are you rastering the same file twice. usually with bad connection it tends to shift and stay shifted.

Kim
    Well the last two attempts at doing second pass work this is what has occurred. 1st pass was perfect, the second pass started good but about 1/2 inch down it shifted ever so slightly to the right, about 2 inches below that it moved another 1/8 to 1/4 inch to the right..... I will check the cable, needless to say its getting old and expensive.

I've had brand new cables arrive bad right out of the package. I wouldn't rule out a 2 month old cable having problems.

When my cable went bad, at first I only noticed what you are seeing during large engraving projects and I thought it was a dirty encoder strip. As time went by, even short projects were bad and everthing shifted to the right.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Blog Entries
    Are you sending the same file twice, or are you reprinting from what's already in the laser's memory?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Are you sending the same file twice, or are you reprinting from what's already in the laser's memory?
    What is in the laser memory, but common sense tells us there is something wrong when it goes for 1/2 inch right on track then starts to shift over... It did it twice and you can very easily see that the job was on track....

Blog Entries
    If you've ruled out a faulty motor/connector issue, I would start to suspect the controller (mainboard) going flaky. If it never fails on the initial etch, but running a file from memory fails at some point, it would lead me to believe memory is getting corrupted.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Doug, I know you have cleaned the encoder strip. However, once I had this same type of trouble and discovered I had a small "dust bunny" in the contrast reader! The encoder strip is monitored by the contrast reader and it's optics. It is a slot type (black on my TT Epi) mechanism which the strip "rides" between. I blew it out and ran a lint free cloth through it and I could see some dust and hairs? on the cloth~~worked fine after that. HTH

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Doug, I know you have cleaned the encoder strip. However, once I had this same type of trouble and discovered I had a small "dust bunny" in the contrast reader! The encoder strip is monitored by the contrast reader and it's optics. It is a slot type (black on my TT Epi) mechanism which the strip "rides" between. I blew it out and ran a lint free cloth through it and I could see some dust and hairs? on the cloth~~worked fine after that. HTH

Bruce
    I thought about that too, I blew it out with compressed air and used a mirror to get as good a look as possible.. This laser is less than 60 days old and CLEAN! When I pulled the cover off to clean the strip there wasnt anything tht showed up on the Qtips... I use this in my garage with epoxied floors that I mop... The garage doors only go up when I am moving large media in and out (About twice a month)....

I flipped the cable this morning and I am running the same job again on scrap wood so I can try to recreate....

Doug,

All responses are good suggestions. To keep the frustration to a minimum, avoid having to scrap expensive items, wasting your time...

I recommend using compressed air to blow out the encoder reader. As Bruce suggested, "dust bunnies" can get lodged in between, causing intermittent reading from the reader to encoder (just saw that you tried that already. You might want to take it off completely and blowing air thru it again).

Contact technical support, order up the related components which can cause the shift. Replace one at a time to help determine which is the culprit (I would probably start with the flex cable).
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

I cleaned the machine again this morning, flipped the cable and I am on the 3rd pass and things are working as you would expect a new machine to work... I contacted Epilog and Brian was super informative and said we had done all the right things.. They are shipping me a new cable and I should get it tomorrow.. He said that the cables typically last a lot longer but they have been known to go bad... So far so good, I am going to run this artwork at least 3 times before I stick any more granite in there...

Hi Doug

It may not be the same thing, but I've experience the same problem as seen in your photo, if it is so, this should repeat itself at the same area with this particular drawing you are using if you laser another time (try scrap material) somethime the end results was ok, sometime the issue came back (intermittently). All of those transpose or (deportation) of some of the area of the drawing was there because my drawing was created using the Corel trace tool, and I had quite a few hidden lines that my Epilog machine did not like very much, make sure your drawing is clean and avoid the Corel trace if you don't understand or don't control like a hawk all the layers and lines in Corel. Once I understood all this, this problem never came back, ever!

But like I said in the beginning, this may not be your issue, so I've said it, just in case.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Levesque; 01-12-2010 at 1:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Levesque View Post
    Hi Doug

It may not be the same thing, but I've experience the same problem as seen in your photo, if it is so, this should repeat itself at the same area with this particular drawing you are using if you laser another time (try scrap material) somethime the end results was ok, sometime the issue came back (intermittently). All of those transpose or (deportation) of some of the area of the drawing was there because my drawing was created using the Corel trace tool, and I had quite a few hidden lines that my Epilog machine did not like very much, make sure your drawing is clean and avoid the Corel trace if you don't understand or don't control like a hawk all the layers and lines in Corel. Once I understood all this, this problem never came back, ever!

But like I said in the beginning, this may not be your issue, so I've said it, just in case.

Ben
    I completely understand what your talking about but I have to ask, if I ran the job from memory once and it worked fine then I should expect the same results on the second pass.

Right? or am I missing something?