Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The order of things - a new woodworker's toolkit

The order of things - a new woodworker's toolkit

As a young woodworker outfitting my first shop on a modest budget, figuring out which tools come before others has been difficult. Certainly the lack of a particular tool (crap, I have no way of slicing - resawing - this thick board down the middle???) becomes very obvious ALL the time to a newbie woodworker like myself, but being able to prioritize which large purchases ought to come before others isn't as obvious. I'm sure one day I'll have all the important power tools, but for now, I have to be able to build what I want to build without having all of them.

This article (5 Essential Power Tools) by Gary Rogowski from the FWW archives really made sense to me, and it's ultimately what prompted me to purchase my bandsaw (G0555 on the way) before my tablesaw. That, and my wife's insistence that the TS had to be a Sawstop made it a more practical decision as well, since $1800 wasn't going to materialize out of nowhere.

For those of you who don't have access to FWW archives (can't post the pdf due to size limits, and probably other reasons), the author makes the argument that the order of priority for new "large tool" acquisition for a new woodworker should be the following:
    1) BANDSAW
    2) JOINTER
    3) ROUTER
    4) CMS
    5) DRILL PRESS
    Most importantly, tablesaw is nowhere to be found in the top 5, and the argument that the bandsaw ought to be purchase #1 is interesting. Gary goes on to point out that as a first purchase, the bandsaw offers the most ability and flexibility, since you can rip, resaw, cut curves and many types of joinery. It also lets you do so more safely than a TS he says, since there's minimal chance of kickback events.

As Gary points out, most woodworkers would probably vehemently disagree, with the tablesaw being the heart of nearly every shop. But looking at it from the standpoint of a hobbyist starting out, what do you think? Was your tablesaw the first large purchase? Did it have to be? I'm sure this article created quite a stir when it came out in 2001, but I thought it would make a fun discussion...maybe for the second time for many of you.

I could do without my TS if I had to, but not without my planer.

I am sure the Bandsaw / Table saw debate will rage on, but the first thing that caught my attention was that the jointer was #2, and the planer didn't make the top 5.

I would rather have a planer before a jointer (think planer sled and router to replace the two functions of the jointer); but I really look at the two of them as a hard to separate team.

Now, you can always use hand planes to replace either (and probably use them anyway for the final touches), but that's a whole other issue.

I agree with the planer sled debate, seems like it would be a better option. I also agree with the bandsaw, but then again, I don't have one, and my tablesaw has been idle since using one of the guided saw systems.
    I am saying there are different ways to do things, AS WELL as different types of woodworking. Turners would MUCH rather have a bandsaw, and I can see a planer being MUCH less important, then a jointer for their pieces. You need to have some idea of what your interested in.

Most tools are purchased not because "I just can't do X without it", but because "I do X so much, life would be much easier with it."

You can do a heck of a lot with a circular saw, drill/driver, jigsaw, random orbital sander, router. I suggest you start there, and buy the big toys as you reach the limitations of these. This may also help you fall into the trap of buying 'starter' stationary tools, since you'll already have some experience / opinion by the time you go to buy.

You can always buy s4s stock until u get a jointer or planer or both.

There is one exception to this: a dust collector. Personally, I think that should be #1 on the list if you are planning to work indoors or in a garage with the door closed.

I agree with the bandsaw first logic, but if the list must be limited to 5, I would drop either the CMS or DP to #6 in favor of a thickness planer. Jointer is yin and planer is yang, one's not much good without the other.

I have heard the BS 1st argument many times the most interesting is the proffer that I have heard is that a pre-industrial revolution woodworker given the choice would take the bandsaw everytime.

In the end it comes down to what type of work you do. When I first started I used quite a bit of hardwood ply and used S4S where I needed solid wood. In this equation I needed a household iron a LOT more than I needed a bandsaw (edge banding). Since I did not have a jointer/planer resawing was a non-issue. In the end I am in the TS camp, I would just feel lost without a table saw, sure I could still build a lot of stuff but 90% of the operations would have me thinking "man I wish I had a TS". My last point is that I could see making the BS argument much stronger (for me) if the BS was a large one (18+ inches) but you almost never see a BS larger than 14" in a newbies shop.

My top 5 would be:

1. TS
    2. Jointer and planer (since non-Euro thus cheaper combos are on the scene)
    3. Router/table
    4. Bandsaw
    5. Drill Press

My CSMS and RAS sit collecting dust most of the time other than for a quick cut, trim or very long pieces I would rather use my table saw.

One thing I consider extremely important that hasn't been mentioned and it is a large purchase in new shop terms is dust collection, it would be 1A as in the same time as the TS purchase or as shortly after as possible, it runs more than ANY other single machine in a shop!
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-07-2010 at 4:26 PM.

In the same situation sans the awesome sawstop. A lot of this depends on your sources of lumber, I'm sticking to cheap pine projects as I learn - S4S from 'borg'.

It also depends on what you want to make (Assuming furniture?)

TABLE SAW - YES!

CMS - YES! This makes crosscutting less of an 'event' and is VERY useful for home renovations (portable, cut pvc, trim work, etc)

ROUTER - I'd get this before a planer/jointer/bandsaw/drillpress - you can make roundovers, rail+stile, you name it. very versatile tool!

PLANER+JOINTER:
    The planer and jointer should come together, and are really a part of your progression. (e.g. Non essential to getting started in my book)

DRILL PRESS - Depends on your preference of building - do you forsee using forstner bits a lot? You can do a lot with a piece of tape and a drill with a bubble level, or a pocket hole jig.

BANDSAW - Being able to resaw isn't gonna help unless you have a planer and a jointer (or respective handtools and time). Using a jigsaw for the tight stuff works well if you take your time.
    Last edited by Justin M Rovang; 01-08-2010 at 2:12 AM. Reason: Didn't intend mine to appear 'in order', now it is :)

Really it depends on what you plan on doing with the tools and what your "hobby" in woodworking is. Are you a cabinet maker, or do you make jewelry boxes? Do you build desks and tables or turn pens? It also depends on how much you want to pay for materials. Are you ok paying s4s prices or do you want to be able to work rough lumber. So essentially I reject the premise of this debate. Every individual is going to have what they deem important and it is ludricous that one would even begin to list in any official manner what tool is and is not important.

For me all my tools had to be purchased at the same time. It took several months to aquire all the tools and I did nothing in the shop until that had happened. I have a trailer full of non industrial tools, a portable TS, 12"scms, router, jigsaw, several worm drives, nail guns and such, but would have never dreamed of trying to build cabinets with them. I could have not bought the table saw and used a Festool track saw for cutting panels, I could also joint with it. So I wouldn't need the jointer if I bought s4s. But that would be a PITA and the rough lumber to s4s prices would pay for the jointer and planer in no time. I can agree with any tool being "the most important" tool after you give me your reason for why you feel that way. But I disagree with most tools on that list.

1 I think a bandsaw for a new woodworker is a ridiculous suggestion. The bandsaw is for resawing and complicated cuts and shapes that a new woodworker doesn't need to get into. Your capacity for ripping and crosscutting is severely limited and considerably less than accurate. If you need to make scroll type cuts get a jigsaw and that will work for a long time.

2 The jointer being on the list with out the planer is also silly. If you need to face wood, you will also need to plane it. So where is the planer? You can do your edge jointing on the table saw. You can use a block plane to start the face jointing then run it through the planer. So where is the planer? Again the planer and jointer go hand in hand.

3. You can also joint on the router table by shimming the outfeed side and using a straight bit. So using his logic, if the bandsaw is most important why is the jointer second. The router is a very versitile tool so it should be on the list.

4. The only thing I use my CMS for is rough crosscutting, but I can see it's benefit, so don't completely disagree with it being on the list. Rough cuts can be done with a worm drive or the table saw on a sled. The CMS is good to have but pretty much everything it can do will be more accurate on the table saw with a well built sled.

5. It is interesting how often I use a drill press. It just drills so much nicer than a hand held. For fine work this tool is a must. But I agree with it's position on the list.

I would suggest to a new woodworker -- who wants to have plenty of capability and not limit himself on what he can and cannot build with reasonable simplicity -- who is on a budget, to simply get smaller machinery. Home depot has a small jointer, and a small planer that will allow you to work with rough lumber. This will save you typically half if not more on lumber costs. A hand plane can take place of a jointer by knocking down high spots and krooks on rough lumber so it will feed through the planer. You can do your glue lines on a table saw.

So to save yourself money in the long run you need to work with rough materials. In no particular order because they are all equally essential to turning a fine product: Jointer, Planer, Table Saw, Router table, Drill Press. These machines will give you the most versatility and save money for future tool buys.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 01-07-2010 at 4:57 PM.

Hmm, some folks seem to think the bandsaw is only for resawing. It is an amazingly versatile tool. Space-challenged Euro shops make do with the BS only.

Aside from resawing, there's curve work, joinery, and, yes, ripping. Maybe not as clean and accurate as with a table saw, but much safer, less noise, and requiring much less HP. I did this for years before purchasing and rehabbing an old Emerson TS. I still use the BS for ripping pieces over 4'-long where I don't trust the TS.

With a decent, sharp blade properly tracked, my Ridgid BS (yes, Ridgid) is capable of acceptable rip cuts. Boards under 6"-wide (which most are, since that's my jointer width) can be run through the planer on edge to clean up the cut. It's also great for rough-edge-jointing really rough stock before taking it to the jointer. Finally, dust-control is much easier on the BS since it's not flying at 3450-rpms.

My essential 4 would be: BS, jointer, planer, router. Those first 3 really give you lots more options as to what kind of stock you use.

Quote Originally Posted by James Carmichael View Post
    Hmm, some folks seem to think the bandsaw is only for resawing. It is an amazingly versatile tool. Space-challenged Euro shops make do with the BS only.

Aside from resawing, there's curve work, joinery, and, yes, ripping. Maybe not as clean and accurate as with a table saw, but much safer, less noise, and requiring much less HP. I did this for years before purchasing and rehabbing an old Emerson TS. I still use the BS for ripping pieces over 4'-long where I don't trust the TS.

With a decent, sharp blade properly tracked, my Ridgid BS (yes, Ridgid) is capable of acceptable rip cuts. Boards under 6"-wide (which most are, since that's my jointer width) can be run through the planer on edge to clean up the cut. It's also great for rough-edge-jointing really rough stock before taking it to the jointer. Finally, dust-control is much easier on the BS since it's not flying at 3450-rpms.

My essential 4 would be: BS, jointer, planer, router. Those first 3 really give you lots more options as to what kind of stock you use.
    I may be one that gave the impression that I feel a BS is only good for resawing, if so I misspoke. I use my BS for all manner of things and would NOT want to be without one. I always look at the what to get next question figuring the person wants all the basic machines sooner or later. The real answer to that as mentioned above is what will you be using the most in the projects you have planned between now and your next major purchase. The bottom line for me and a BUNCH of other woodworkers is I could not imagine not having a TS for the kind of projects I do, I can work around a bandsaw for most every BS operation except resawing (which is why you are seeing resawing come up so much) but kludging BS operations is easier and more efficient than doing the same for TS operations. I will fight you with a bat to keep my BS, I'll get a shotgun if you try to take my TS.

Consider that he writes for FWW and from a hand tool users viewpoint the list makes sense. A power tool person would place TS first but that is not the emphasis with FWW.

The bandsaw is the most versatile of them all but in combination with other tools and jigs the table saw can more accurately do a lot.

I always say pick a project and how you want to build it, that will dictate what tools you need first.

If you eliminate all of the top 5, then all of the next 5, you can take up bowling, and park the cars in the garage.

I have a TS I rarely use. I dislike using it, and table saws in general. I'd much rather have a BS any day of the week. I feel happier using a circular saw for long cuts. It was one of the first things I bought and it sits there getting dusty most of the time. A BS would be getting a lot of use and once I have my next lathe out of the way, I'll be buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by gary butcher View Post
    I have a TS I rarely use. I dislike using it, and table saws in general. I'd much rather have a BS any day of the week. I feel happier using a circular saw for long cuts. It was one of the first things I bought and it sits there getting dusty most of the time. A BS would be getting a lot of use and once I have my next lathe out of the way, I'll be buying one.
    Don't hold back Gary. Tell us your true feelings about table saws.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night