Thread: Early Hollow'een treat...and rounds?!?

Early Hollow'een treat...and rounds?!?

With regards to learning about woodworking from more experienced individuals, it has always been my philosophy to maximize the use of my eyes and ears while keeping my mouth shut. This practice has given huge dividends over the years and I've applied the philosophy to other aspects of my life with measured degrees of success. I know, I know...you're probably asking yourselves, "what does this have to do with the title of your post?" I suppose the pictures have already spoiled it anyway.

This philosophy does not lend itself readily to gathering information from manufacturers about upcoming developments in tool design, etc. where an iquisitive mind triumphs over silence. Here is a case in point.

Guess who's currently developing kits for Hollows and Rounds?!? If the word "kit" is mentioned, you probably have already guessed "The Shepherd Tool Company". Yup. I kid you not. There's also some scratch bead stock and float action happening over there.

All Y'all know about as much as I do now...got the "all y'all" from another thread somewhere and it stuck...sometimes my philosophy backfires

Any more information will have to come directly from the horses' mouths...so to speak.

Again...I reiterate that I am not affiliated with the Shepherd Tool Company in any way...I just appreciate quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Tweet! Foul! Undue access! 10 yards and loss of down.

Ok, I see the rounds, and can make out the scratch beaders...but what is the thing in the lower left corner?

Looks like a ramped infill...or handle for a paint scraper
    ~Dan

Description of the tool photos...

In the third photo, there are some wedges sitting up above a set of funny looking profiles cut out of a thin strip of cocobolo. The lower left piece is a piece (two required) which applied to one side of the steel float handle (after it has been 1/4-rounded).

The larger profile (a cross-shaped piece) is one side of a 4-position scratch beading tool.

The steel for the two floats, and the 4-position scratch bead cutter are being cut at the moment and we will start building next week.

It is our intent to supply blanks in 1/4-sawn beech - we just had the coco lying around. We also intend to have the sole profiles roughed for each pair(designs for a half-set of Sims, London were completed over the weekend - 18 planes in all).

The iron profiles are done and I am working on a set of moulding cutters for the sole profiles.

Regards,

Doug

I don't think you are going about it the right way. CNC is not the way to go for most of the H&R's you will be ahead making the bodies from a molder you can run them in 8-10' lengths then cut them to length then all you will have to do with the CNC is to cut the throught part. you still might want do the wedges with the CNC but 16 sets of blades for a high speed molder and yopu are on you way to having most of the plane done. I've benn thinking about this for a long time but haven't gone with it

Hey Doug,

Are the kits going to bedded at 45 or 50 degrees? I am guessing from the Sim, London half-set comment that you going with 50 degree pitch. Any guestimates of when these item will be available? I am personally very interested in the floats. Keep up the good work.

Wendell

How to make H&R's

Hi Ernie - you are right. I will actually be using a moulding head to do the bottoms however, I havent shown another photo of something I am doing with these wood bodies that does require a CNC and makes the kit job a lot easier (I am trialing it next week). I agree with you - based on what I've shown so far... this would be way overkill (although the machine does zip them off in about 8 minutes apiece).

In a week or so, the rest of it will make some sense. I just want a running start here... as usual.

Cheers,

Doug

Bedding Angles

Hi Wendell:

The beds are actually 55 degrees. I used four text references to come up with this. As well, they are not skewed irons. They are patterned off an odd numbered set (rare).

I will try to render a picture of the floats and post it here.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Evans; 10-15-2004 at 9:42 PM. Reason: Typed "now" instead of "not".

One of the tricks...

One of the key parts of the trick is to get the mortise done fast and accurate...

Can a total novice (Ben can vouch for my total sub-noviceness...) pilot these two holes to the correct apex down below in 15 minutes without even a layout of the mortise scratched in?

Why yes... yes they can Billy-Bob!

I got two other do-dad's I'm puttin in though...

Cheers,

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Evans; 10-17-2004 at 6:04 PM. Reason: Pics didnt come up

O.K....as a longtime client...er...somewhat longtime client, I'd like to get right in there and offer you 50 bucks...US !!!...for a full half-set right now!!! Better jump on it Doug, this offer has a limited timeline.

I'm doing this sight unseen...taking a big chance and all...

...on a side note, would there be any benefit to milling these things in solid aluminum?!?
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

I got called to Dinner...

I'm having a little trouble loading the pics, so I will go one at a time.

Patience Louis... a few jiggers of the magic elixir passin thru the gob and we'll all be planemakers soon enuf...

Here's pic 2.

D

And Pic 3...

I got a little carried away with the chisels and started mortising the thing out.

D

About a half hour into it...

Easy now... that's Doug-time...

Basically, this plane is about a half hour in at this point, including cutting it out of the plank and cleaning up the edges.

I cant do much else until I've got the floats and the bottom rough-profiled.

Doug