Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help keep Norm & NYW on the air

You can also watch the last few seasons of Roy right here (if you have better than a 64k connection ) http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2900/2901.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Rod,
    Do you get the additional digital channels from WNED? If you do, then you can see Roy. He is on the Think Bright channel at least a couple times a week.

Brian
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Thanks to everyone who is helping.
    Brandon put an interesting addition in his reply about his favorite episode. I'm not sure I could limit myself to one episode, but one of my favorites is NY0404 The Shaker Bookcase. Anyone else have a favorite episode, or something they built from a show. I built the shaker cherry cradle and it turned out great. It was really nice to build something off of a plan.

Loren

Russell Morash in an interview indicated he feels that future of shows like NYW are webcast/podcast rather than broadcast TV. The question then is there enough potential revenue from such a medium to make the production of quality shows worthwhile.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    I sent an email to NYW... made a suggestion to have Norm's shows available as a digital download as an option... and maybe for a fee a few dollars less than his DVD's...
    Great suggestion Dave Gaul!

Done. I am a huge fan of his show and too was sad to see it come to an end. The good thing is I still have several episodes DVR'd

I recently saw a show where Norm and his little buddy were applying clapboard siding with a framing nailer. The work was terrible, and I would fire anyone who did such work on one of my jobs, so as far as I am concerned, its no great loss. He is just a sellout to the tool companys...

6. I can't say that I've liked everything Norm has done, but I've never thought Norm has done a terrible job. Perhaps this was on This Old House? As far as a sellout to the tool companies? Please explain. Norm does not promote any specific tool on NYW. PBS controls the sponsorship and tools in the shop. In fact, Norm's use of tools in the shop rarely showed the labels. How many times have you seen him purposely set the Titebond glue bottle down with the label facing away from the camera? How many times has Norm said, "I'm using my Porter Cable Nailer today!" Granted, it's easy to tell it's Titebond glue and the tool colors often give the brand away, but Norm doesn't make it obvious. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm sorry you didn't get the same enjoyment out of Norm's craftsmanship that many of us have had. I do, however, doubt that you'd ever FIRE Norm Abram. And to say he sells out for the tools? How many tool commercials have you seen him in? How many stores do you see posters/standups of him holding a tool? He's not God, but he's done more for woodworking than many people have or ever will. When they talk about putting your workspace in the Smithsonian on display, I think you can safely say you've had an impact on your trade of choice.

Done! He has my support and thanks for posting!

Here's a suggestion...If you don't like Norm...skip over this thread...

I just noticed this morning that the NYW online is airing episode #2 the workbench. I also noticed they have an online schedule now for some upcoming episodes and their air dates. Keep up the good work emailing the NYW, I think it might be working.

Loren

I had already done so. I suggested a subscription based service like FWW Online.