Thread: Assembling a Sawstop and G0490

Assembling a Sawstop and G0490

I have spent several days through the holiday season and this week assembling a new Sawstop PCS and Grizzly G0490 Parallelogram Jointer.

I'll post a pic or two to the workshop forum after the weekend, but it been such a learning process I thought maybe if I posted some thoughts and observations (one guy's ramblings!!!) it might spark some advice from the wiser woodworkers on SMC.

1) Having worked through the issues of receiving the machines...took more than one attempt to get a lift gate truck with jointer. I paid a few movers to ferry the parts through the bilco doors and down the steep steps into my basement. Some of the best money I've spent yet.

2) I had never put a machine together...it has been a very good experience...if they make clean precise cuts this process will become a major confidence builder. I rigged up a hoist-crane with parts borrowed from Harbor Freight (they have a great return policy!) and, pending set-up tool arrival, will get down to brass tacks on alignment, calibration, and tuning. I am going in to enjoy the journey.

3) I totally expect to spend the next several days squinting at measuring devices! Even as a total newbie to machinery setup (heck, I'm still pretty new to woodworking) I expect that any machine would require painstaking attention to detail in set-up. So much of woodworking "seems" (again my newbie status has me backing off authoritative generalizations) to be about developing tools, processes and work habits that deliver predictable results. Measure twice cut once right? I am surprised to see (certainly not all) many posts expressing desire to have everything correct upon unpacking...and making the quality of a tool at least partially based on its calibration at arrival.

3) Given the above...it really is amazing to compare and contrast the experiences of putting together these different machines. The SawStop is packed and packaged like the folks at NASA had a hand in it! Color coded cards that match the blister-packed hardware and tools for each assembly system (fence/rails in red, Tables in blue, mobile base gray, ext.) Each and every instruction has a clear reason WHY you're doing it, how you'll know when its done right (or wrong), how it fits in the overall scheme...and several color photos from various angles! Some steps are marked with cautions of importance.

4) Grizzly G0490 is a bit more of an adventure. Instead of NASA engineers, I think Carl Spackler (Caddyshack anyone?) packed it. Just getting the iron off the crate was a physical maneuver. The hardware was one greasy jumble in a baggy that thudded onto the floor when I unpacked the base. I can't knock though, because if it safely, predictably makes my boards S2 on command then that's what I bought it for. Its like a proud dad and two very different children.

4) Grrizly tech support was nice enough, if a bit dry, on the phone today. The dude on the other end of the line seemed genuinely surprised that was asking how I'd know If I had the motor and cutter head pulleys were accurately aligned. (Plumb bob it he said!) And even more surprised when I asked if was any issue that the motor mount bolts were touching the cooling fins of the motor itself when tightened. (no. Really, thats all he said, "no.") I thought for a minute about the fact that nothing inside the SawStop's cabinet needed my paws on it...and considered asking why the jointer's motor wasn't mounted to...the motor mounts...instead of some other place that had me and the LOML playing twister -- each with one foot inside a beige and green tool stand -- while I cradled a 3HP motor tethered to some other piece of sharp metal and aligned before shipment. I didn't...I had to get back to the basement!!

5) Is it just me...or is there is a kind of gap in the published literature...some seems to barely skim machinery set-up...and is mostly all about the next plywood-by-router shelf project. Other's get into it (FWW/PW) but the focus is more often than not about table saws and band saws. Perhaps even if it did make for interesting reading (which it likely doesn't), could any article really capture the tedium of making micro adjustments while something else moves slightly?

6) There is always another blade, bit, fitting, or tool isn't there? something that needs to be purchased...too late now...

Matt

G0490

I have a G0490 waiting in the garage for me to put together. I opened the packages to inspect and everything looks to have survived the shipping. I noticeed the motor is NOT mounted to anything though, it is just laying at the bottom of the box. Hope it still works, I'll find out soon enough.

Blog Entries
    Man, what is with these Grizzly horror stories of late? Someone in Q.A. get laid-off or what? Seems like I've heard more "oops" in the last month or so than in the last several years(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I bought a G0490 and it arrived damaged. It wasn't Grizzly's fault but they have handled it very poorly so far. As you describe, it was an adventure assembling it. EVERYTHING on mine was covered in grease the lifting mechanism, cutter-head, hardware and all the fence parts (not just the unpainted cast iron) an adventure to say the least.
    you can read about my experience in my post in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    I have a G0490 waiting in the garage for me to put together. I opened the packages to inspect and everything looks to have survived the shipping. I noticed the motor is NOT mounted to anything though, it is just laying at the bottom of the box. Hope it still works, I'll find out soon enough.
    Matt - sorry it's too late for you but maybe not Adam: Look at this post on my G0490. I did some quick searching here and found a simple way to mount the motor w/o playing twister:

Griz G0490 Asm (click on the photo)

If I paid $3000 for my jointer I would have been disappointed not finding color coated blister packs of fasteners but most of us paid less than 1/4 of that. Plus, there were only a couple different types of fasteners required. Assembly went quicker than I thought. Also, I have heard many complain about removing the cosmoline but I'd rather remove that than rust. If you plan ahead and read the instructions ahead of time and do a little reading at SMC you need to get some plastic putty knives, lots of clean rags, and clean it in the crate. Mine actually cleaned up quicker than I thought. I also posted some hints to save time on setting the beds (do a search on my name). Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kestenbaum View Post
    2) I had never put a machine together...it has been a very good experience...if they make clean precise cuts this process will become a major confidence builder. I rigged up a hoist-crane with parts borrowed from Harbor Freight (they have a great return policy!) and, pending set-up tool arrival, will get down to brass tacks on alignment, calibration, and tuning.
    Congratulations Matt those are some fine tools!
    But you really should not "rent" tools this way. Just take your lumps on craigslist. If everyone "rented" like this there would be no local vendors...
    Salem

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    If I paid $3000 for my jointer I would have been disappointed not finding color coated blister packs of fasteners but most of us paid less than 1/4 of that. Plus, there were only a couple different types of fasteners required. Assembly went quicker than I thought. Also, I have heard many complain about removing the cosmoline but I'd rather remove that than rust.

Mike
    No complaints about the cosmoline on my part...but as Jack commented it was EVERYWHERE and I did burn through a lot of rags and degreaser. And just to be clear, I didn't mean to say that I had expected everything to be in color coded harmony...I knew there were some calculated risks with delivery, assembly and tuning with Grizzly...I READ your assembly notes. But the motor cable was sort of twisted with the control cable and I did not have good balance with the blocks so...twister.

In fact, I was pretty stunned that SawStop did so! Does anyone else pack like that?? For anything?? But from one to the other was a very wide gulf. Is it really any additional expense for alignment pins/notches to help set the 8 cap bolts when mounting top to base? or locating the bolts such that a wrench can access them?

Like I said I am overall enjoying the journey...and do appreciate the grizzly value equation. Just taking notice.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Also, I have heard many complain about removing the cosmoline but I'd rather remove that than rust. If you plan ahead and read the instructions ahead of time and do a little reading at SMC you need to get some plastic putty knives, lots of clean rags, and clean it in the crate. Mine actually cleaned up quicker than I thought. I also posted some hints to save time on setting the beds (do a search on my name). Good luck and enjoy the new toy.

Mike

For some reason we have been conditioned to think that machines that come from overseas need to have the cosmoline on. Jet uses the crap too but not to the extent that grizzly does. The bandsaw and tenioning jig I bought from grizzly had gallons of the crap on them. Grizzly must have stake in a company that makes cosmoline.

If you look at sawstops they come from over seas. But the PCS saw I have, had zero cosmoline on it. They instead use the moisture absorbing paper that automotive companies have been using for years. So don't get to thanking grizzly for covering their machines in that junk. They could do a better job that wouldn't cost them anymore money. It is just another thing that annoys me when I buy inexpensive tools.
    Last edited by Paul Ryan; 01-08-2010 at 9:27 AM.

I, too, am a newbie to woodworking and large machine assembly, tho', as the owner of a video and interactive media production company, I have certainly assembled countless systems of very expensive high end equipment over the past 30 years. I was so impressed with the packing and set up instructions with my PCS that I wrote them to let them know theirs are the best assembly instructions I have ever read for any product I've owned. They were certainly better than the instructions and hardware for my US made Oneida portable 3hp DC. They were no where near as well done nor were the various components as clean and unblemished as the Sawstop. I do absolutely like the way it works though!

To me, Sawstop definitely sets the bar for the way to package and thoroughly explain the safe and proper way to get the job done.

I just recently put a Sawstop contractor table saw together. It was a pleasure to put together with everything laid out and color coded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron Carlton
    Dallas, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Carlton View Post
    I just recently put a Sawstop contractor table saw together. It was a pleasure to put together with everything laid out and color coded.
    What a great idea, I've never seen that done before.......Rod.