Thread: I have heat!

I have heat!

In anticipation of the coming cold spell I ordered a Dimplex #DGWH4031 4000-Watt Garage/Workshop Heater from Amazon last week. It arrived yesterday and I installed it using my table saw 220 line. When I turned it on , the shop was 45 degrees, two hours later it was 63 degrees. I was looking at the Dayton G73 but this one was half the price. I mounted it about 6' high on wood storage shelf.

Very nice.

I am in a desperate rush to get my shop sealed up. With everything contracting due to the extreme cold, I now have daylight throwing gaps around both roll up doors, any heat I generate is going straight out the holes, and being replaced by 26 degree wind...

I have been around 30 before, but never this cold... I have never seen the gaps like this. I am heading to the BORG after work to try to grab a couple of garage door seal kits (not something commonly installed on Texas garages...)

Sorry if it looks like I am stealing the thread not meant to... Just wanted to share a potential problem with you... Unless that heater is a blast furnace, you really need to seal up and insulate to make it effective at all. I ran my oil filled radiator all night next to my water softener, I couldn't tell that I had any heat in there more than 5' away from the heater...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David, my shop is a well insulated 3 1/2 car detached garage that I divided into 2 rooms of 600 and 250 sq feet (for spraying). The ceilings are 10 feet which is not optimal for heating, but I can spray above 60 degrees. BTW our normal temperature this time of the year is 72, I have never seen it this cold that's why I didn't have heat before.

My question is, if you used your table saw 220V live to hook up the heater, what are you using to run the table saw?
    Chuck

Congrats! To you and everyone else suffering from unexpected cold snaps.....stay warm!!
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Chuck, it powers both at the same time. I tested it and the saw does not bog down. When I have the time I will run a separate line for the heater.

come on up to wisconsin it was -20 last night, a few nights of that and 25 or 30 is short sleeve weather

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    My question is, if you used your table saw 220V live to hook up the heater, what are you using to run the table saw?

I was hoping he had a squirrel cage rigged. . .Adapted and sized for wild hogs. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Robert, Do you think it would heat a 430 foot shop, from about 15 degrees to the mid fifties?

Thanks, John

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by John Reimers View Post
    Robert, Do you think it would heat a 430 foot shop, from about 15 degrees to the mid fifties?

Thanks, John
    John:

A 4,000 watt heater is approximately 13,000 btus of heat ( 4,000 x 3.41 ) is the formula. Should be no problem as that is over 30 btus per square foot - that is, if you have some insulation and everything is sealed up tight. Insulation and proper sealing is what is critical - - enough insulation and you could heat it with a lot smaller unit.

That being said, keep in mind the cost to run a 4,000 watt ( 4 kw ) heater - at a modest 10 cents / kw / hour, this equates to 40 cents / hour, $9.60 / day, around $300.00 a month if the heater runs steady.

ALWAYS be careful with wiring and electric heaters - if the plug or cord gets hot when it has been running for a while, there may be a problem; totally avoid extension cords on any heaters, and contrary to Roberts post on running both the heater and saw at the same time, well, damage to the TS motor windings / centrifugal switch / capacitors can occur - my opinion is I would shut the heater off while using the TS - yes, maybe a pain, but power ( voltage ) drop can be insidious and bite you later.

JMHO

Dave Beauchesne

John, Dave seems to have answered your post correctly. The heater is 13,648 and runs on a 240 volt 20 amp circuit. I don't run the table saw and heater at the same time, I only tested it. The heater has a thermostat but I'm not sure I would leave it unattended very long.

Hey Robert...
    Just as a heads-up, I have a small Dimplex heater in my shop too, but what works the best for me is to turn on my Jet air cleaner at the same time. The air cleaner circulates the heat really well. I'd swear it takes 1/3 of the time to heat up the shop and it stays warmer longer.
    Congrats on getting some warmth!!
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Garner View Post
    Hey Robert...
    Just as a heads-up, I have a small Dimplex heater in my shop too, but what works the best for me is to turn on my Jet air cleaner at the same time. The air cleaner circulates the heat really well. I'd swear it takes 1/3 of the time to heat up the shop and it stays warmer longer.
    Congrats on getting some warmth!!
    Rick

+1 from Chicago. I have almost a 1000 sq. ft. shop with 11.5 foot ceilings. My Jet air cleaner is mounted to the ceiling. I normally keep the shop at 45 degrees, and kick it up to 60 when I want to work out there. For heat I use a ceiling mounted HOT DAWG.

The air cleaner running pulls the warmer air at the ceiling and pushes it much more evenly around the shop. The shop heats up at least twice as fast with the air cleaner running.
    Wood'N'Scout

Great Idea Rick! I have a Jet air filtration system and will try that. I reverse my ceilings fans in the house so it should work the same.