Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has the best router dado jig?

Who has the best router dado jig?

I need to make dados across some 80" long plywood. I don't have a way of sliding in across the dado blade on the ts so I want to make a router jig so i thought I might look at some current examples if any one would like to share.

I searched it and found Glen bradleys jig but was wondering if there are other ways as i don't have a router with a collar set.

Blog Entries
    The original version of that jig used the edge of the router base against the guide. I just used the bushing as it does not give me problems if I rotate the router or use a different "spot" on the base from one cut to the next.

I don't know that this type of jig would be good for an 80" long dado anyway. That's quite a stretch. I would consider just ripping a piece of MDF or something on the tablesaw to assure a straight edge and clamp it to the piece as a guide. Commercial ones are available out of aluminum and such but I have not found them any more convenient than a shop ripped one. I have a 97" x 5" strip in my lumber rack right now that I use for such things.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cut an 80 inch (or longer) strip of plywood about a foot wide. Cut another strip just as long and a couple of inches wide. One edge needs to be straight. Measure your router base and screw the second strip on top of the first (wide) piece with the clean, straight edge of the second (narrow) strip 1/2 the router base's width from the edge of the first (wide) piece.

Put your dado bit in the router, and put the router on top of the wide strip with the edge of the base against the narrow strip, which is now your fence. Trim off the excess (and there needs to be a little excess to trim off) so the lower (wider) piece is straight and the egde is parallel to the upper fence piece.

To use, put the edge of the lower piece directly where you want to route your dado, clamp at both ends and use the fence to guide the cut. Note that this will only work properly with the same size bit you used to cut off the edge of the lower piece, so if you are going to make dados of different sizes you will need to make one jig for each size.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense and maybe I can post some pictures.

no no no .

Across an 80" long piece of plywood not along its length. If the dado was 80" long then the ts would be the way to go.

The plywood is only 25" wide and I need to make 5 dados along its width. sorry I didn't make that clearer.

Just clamp a square board flush with your front edge and rout away.

I've been asked about this jig so many times I have the source memorized...Shopnotes #76. They also have a video on the site. I have 3 of these: 1/4" bit, 3/8" bit and 1/2" bit (different routers), mainly because they were fun to build and use. Also use the 1/2" for sliding DTs.

Joe, I'm curious about the elliptical opening. What is it for; is it necessary or an added benefit for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Joe, I'm curious about the elliptical opening. What is it for; is it necessary or an added benefit for something?
    Rick,
    Here's how the magazine describes it: "Relief hole lets you set router in place without marring jig or workpiece".

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/076/...built-dado-jig
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 01-13-2010 at 7:49 PM. Reason: Added video link

Alex is correct, but the opening also helps to quickly locate the next line while sliding the jig up to the next dado position.

I have made one of the Shopnotes jigs and it works great. So I guess that means +1 from me.

Wayne

Here's a downloadable plan for a jig similar to the one above. Made it a few months ago and it works like a charm.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...bledadojig.pdf

You may need to sign up for their free weekly e-tips to get the plan (and others posted from the Woodsmith Shop TV show).

Festool router and guide rail. AAAplus.

Does anybody know where I would be able to get a copy of Shopnotes 76? I would like to build the above mentioned router jig.

Thanks,
    Rob

Modification of this jig

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Christ View Post
    Here's a downloadable plan for a jig similar to the one above. Made it a few months ago and it works like a charm.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...bledadojig.pdf

You may need to sign up for their free weekly e-tips to get the plan (and others posted from the Woodsmith Shop TV show).
    We all know that plywood thicknesss varies. Instead of running the router baseplate between rails, I use a top bearing flush pattern bit 1/2" diameter 1/2" cutting depth. Make the jig rails 3/4" thick. Clamp one jaw of the jig along the desired edge of the dado. Put a scrap of the shelf material between the jaws and clamp the other jaw of the jig snug to the scrap of shelf material. Run the top bearing router bit along the walls of the jig jaws. Perfect fit every time! The only downside to this is I haven't found top bearing pattern bits smaller than 1/2" so that's the narrowest dado this jig will cut. If you make the first pass really shallow there will be very little or no tearout.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 01-14-2010 at 9:13 AM.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd take a shot. Did you put the clamp on your jigs? i don't see it in your picture. I'm having problems making my clamp work and was looking fro some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scharle View Post
    I've been asked about this jig so many times I have the source memorized...Shopnotes #76. They also have a video on the site. I have 3 of these: 1/4" bit, 3/8" bit and 1/2" bit (different routers), mainly because they were fun to build and use. Also use the 1/2" for sliding DTs.