Thread: Torque Values

Torque Values

How can I tell the torque values of my Milwaukee 2601-22 Drill? What do the numbers on the torque selector correspond to in torque values?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Weiss View Post
    How can I tell the torque values of my Milwaukee 2601-22 Drill? What do the numbers on the torque selector correspond to in torque values?
    Hi to low... they are not designed for the kind of precision you are asking. It's a "feel" kind of torque. If the screw goes too deep go to the next notch. There are inexpensive and expensive torque wrenches and measuring tools from industrial supply places like McMaster, MSC, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Weiss View Post
    Probably not much. Not familiar with the tool but I use the settings to keep from setting a screw to deep or twisting one off. Battery powered drills it would depend on the charge left in the batteries.

Back to the same problem again....loud clatter on shutdown. Had not needed the jointer for quite a while since other issues were dominant. Have taken the sides off the G0490 to make a slow motion movie of the belt, and before doing so, want to torque down the set screws on the motor shaft. Torque value I find is 12-14 in lbs on the 3mm allen screws; does this seem correct? I tightened to this torque and it seems a bit low to me, but I do not want to strip the threads either! If I can get confirmation that this is a reasonable value, will use blue thread locker and torque the set screws, then continue with my investigation.
    Am also adding the sawdust chute closure at this time. Noticed that the pulley groove had uneven gobs of sawdust...wonder if that might be contributing to the problem.
    Any confirmation on the 12-14 in lbs? Using a Fat Wrench to set the torque since it is my only tool that has such a low range. Use for scope mounting so I have confidence in the numbers.
    Thread: G0690 Jointer clunking noise

Oops...posted to wrong thread. Intended to post to G0690 Jointer clunking noise. Was looking for info on torque and posted here by error. Move to intended post...answer to this question though is answered below. Work is done ...waiting for sealant to cure.
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 09-22-2013 at 6:26 PM. Reason: posted in wrong thread

Chris, 12-14 in.-lb is the correct torque for a 3mm screw that is “dry”, e.g. free of lubricants and thread lockers. A lubricated fastener should have the torque values reduced 25 - 30%.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce...will go with 8-10 which should be ok.