Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys up North survive?

How do you guys up North survive?

It was so cold in my shop this AM that the CA Glue wouldn't dry. How do you guys up North survive? I do have an Electric heater in the shop, but it took 3 hours to bring it from 13 degrees to 57. I'm comfortable with 57.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 01-09-2010 at 1:23 PM.

R-19 in the walls....R-38 in the ceiling and a Lennox 75,000 btu NG heater. Works well.

What tears this fat boy up is the 110ºF temps we get in the summer time. Our humidity is extemely low but I sweat so much that my glasses are constantly being soiled by the sweat and I can't see to work.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A few weeks ago we had temps of -40 and with the wind chill it was -54.

My shop has infloor heating with a natural gas boiler.
    The building is well insulated.
    During the winter I try and keep it at 15* C.
    My gas meter spins quite quickly during the winter..

My shop is 24x24x8 with R19 everywhere and a 100,000btu lp furnace. Does nicely. I don't heat it all the time, only when I'm working which is only a couple days a week and overall it stays pretty nice in there. Its been around 0 here at night and 10-15 during the day and rarely does my shop temp fall below freezing when I'm not in there.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    During the winter I try and keep it at 15* C.
    For those of us who don't speak Celsius, 15 degrees Celsius = 59 degrees Fahrenheit

This is the time of year where having your shop located in the basement really pays off! Temps in my shop remain around 58* in winter and stays around 65* in summer! The only thing I do not like about having the shop in the basement is the lack of natural light! You get used to it but would prefer seeing the sun every once in awhile!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Lots of insulation, hot wood stove, and snow flying outside the windows. Doesnlt get any better thanvthat!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    This is the time of year where having your shop located in the basement really pays off!
    As much as I'd love to have a larger and/or detached shop, I have to agree. A simple walk down a flight of stairs and I'm there. temp is usually around 60 or so, since that's where my heating system is.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Lots of insulation is good for both hot and cold. Small heater and big air conditioner in this area.
    Richard in Wimberley

Instulation in a SHOP

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    R-19 in the walls....R-38 in the ceiling and a Lennox 75,000 btu NG heater. Works well.

What tears this fat boy up is the 110ºF temps we get in the summer time. Our humidity is extemely low but I sweat so much that my glasses are constantly being soiled by the sweat and I can't see to work.

I aint got no stinking instulation in my shop. My shop is in the garage and down here they do not instulate non-living areas when they build houses. The average temp here this time of the year is 52 degrees and most of the time the shop is comfortable, but 13 degrees is another story. I like the garage shop most of the time, because all I have do is open the door and I am there. That is convenient, especially when I decide to piddle around with a project late at night. I don't like it sometimes, though, because of the trouble I get from the wife for tracking that stinking sawdust in to her house.

Bill,

I have a lovely wife who could have retired but continues working today to pay for my standalone shop. She doesn't like sawdust in the house either.

As you are finding out....no insulation...no heat....I couldn't work in my shop 5 months out of the year.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The one plus, if there is one in the winter, you can't spend much time outside so you have extra time to spend in the shop. Mine is in the basement with an egress window so I do get some natural light. I'll never get used to the cold, but only learn to tolerate it.

Bill, I have my shop in a stand alone 3 1/2 car garage that has 10' high drywall ceilings. I insulated the attic and both doors mainly for the air conditioning but it has come in handy this past 2 weeks. I installed an electric heater last week and it works well (65). My wife just brought our dogs in and they were covered with sleet! I live in SW Florida were our normal temperature this time of the year is 72. Tonight we are going down to 26 so I guess I'll run my pool pump all night. So much for global warming!

I'd love to have a stand-alone shop but in my location it would be difficult to justify. I would have to snowblow just to get to it in the winter - that's both to get there and then again to get back to the house sometimes! Plus the additional electrical bill I could do without - but the idea of having a Man-Shop would be great!

You guys with wives who do not appreciate sawdust/shavings brought into the house - now know why my shop looks as clean as it does!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

In the immortal words of Jeff Dunham's Walter "We're a heaaaaaardy people". I would call you a light weight , but I can't deal with your heat and humidity, so I guess we are even.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling