Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you guys up North survive?

Unattached, unheated one and a half car garage, no insulation, no shop time 'til March, unthrilled.

its 6* and feels pretty good form the -40 temps

I have a detached 20x40 shop that I built in 91 or 92. It is insulated, but that's wasted, because I got lazy, and didn't close in the eaves. Gets down to the outside air temp, if the wind is blowing. I have a pot-bellied stove, and a double burner infrared butane heater, and still haven't been in my shop more than 15 minutes at a time for two weeks.
    I keep saying that, "... come spring, I'm gonna close in those eaves." But then... come spring, I'd rather be turning. Such is the life, when your 69, and lazy.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Wow,
    I just open the garage door to set some warm air and sunlight in...
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Hey Marley,

We don't have earthquakes or Santa Annas and such.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have an uninsulated and unheated garage shop here. The only saving grace is that the garage door seals to prevent wind intrusion.
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 01-09-2010 at 6:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Hey Marley,

Geez that reminds me of when I used to drive truck and heading south on I-15 heading down into LA and having a big truck get flipped over in front of me from those santa annas winds.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Hey Marley,

Yep, the four seasons...
    wind, fire, mudslide, and earthquake.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Sorry

I was telling the wife of this post

She said its going to be a 3 dog night here.
    just to keep warm.

the 30 x 50 shop is insulated
    heated with either a wood coal boiler
    ( does both house and garage )
    or an oil furnace

ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Marley View Post
    Wow,
    I just open the garage door to set some warm air and sunlight in...
    Marley, you beat me to it.

I was doing some flat work today, so I put a table up in the driveway so I could work outside in my shorts and t-shirt.

I'm used to frigid and frosty 40s or 50s in the winter here in Central Tx. This morning I woke up to 12 degrees and it got worse from there. We ended up at 9. I'm sure that's tee shirt weather for a lot of you guys but for this
    California raised Texas transplant 9 is way too close to absolute zero where all motion stops. I went to feed the goats and their water tank had 3 inches of ice covering it. It took a long time to break through with a shovel. Anticipating cold weather (forecast was for 18) I put a tub in the barn figuring it's warmer in there and it wouldn't freeze. Wrong. Only had about an inch of ice so I broke through that easily.
    Both chicken's waterers were frozen solid. That necessitated a trip to the house because all the outdoor spigots were hopeless.
    The fun didn't stop there either. Our plumbing has easily withstood 20 degree lows but the 9 degrees today did it in. Insulated copper burst in 3 spots so I got to enjoy myself sweating copper all afternoon. To think I could have been cleaning up the shop instead.

Here on Cape Cod, it is humid and coolish in the summer, and humid and coldish in the winter. My free standing 24'x32'x9' shop has 6" framed walls, insulation on walls, floor and ceiling, and yellow pine flooring over a 4' crawl space. For heat I have a 50,000 BTU natural gas wall heater that gets air from outside. On the ceiling I have 4 rows of three 8' high performance flourescent lights. That's 96' of lighting. I turn on the heat in the AM at 20-25 degree outside temp (..F..) and after running for a couple of cycles, the lights keep the place 50-55 dgrees all day.
    Not only do I get great lighting, but a heat benefit as well.
    have a good Winter, all
    Fred

No matter where you are, it seems you learn to cope with normal highs and lows. It's when it goes way beyond that range that things go haywire. I have a well insulated shop with a portable electric that keeps it above freezing...maybe 39-42 or so. Then fire up a kerosene heater to get it toasty when I want to work in it. Yeah, it takes time to heat, but I dress for cold, so it's no big deal. Like others have said...yard work is done for the year, so I can spend more quality time with my tools

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schapansky View Post
    I'm used to frigid and frosty 40s or 50s in the winter here in Central Tx. This morning I woke up to 12 degrees and it got worse from there. We ended up at 9. I'm sure that's tee shirt weather for a lot of you guys but for this
    California raised Texas transplant 9 is way too close to absolute zero where all motion stops. I went to feed the goats and their water tank had 3 inches of ice covering it. It took a long time to break through with a shovel. Anticipating cold weather (forecast was for 18) I put a tub in the barn figuring it's warmer in there and it wouldn't freeze. Wrong. Only had about an inch of ice so I broke through that easily.
    Both chicken's waterers were frozen solid. That necessitated a trip to the house because all the outdoor spigots were hopeless.
    The fun didn't stop there either. Our plumbing has easily withstood 20 degree lows but the 9 degrees today did it in. Insulated copper burst in 3 spots so I got to enjoy myself sweating copper all afternoon. To think I could have been cleaning up the shop instead.
    Michael, your post made me laugh. Not at your misery... but the way you laid it out. I have that same sort of weather here. It was 6 this morning, but I don't have to feed and water livestock. But when I read your post, I had to laugh to keep from crying. I'm so tired of cutting firewood, already, and winter just got here. I have a lot of cured wood in my woodyard, and have to cut more about every two days. I've already burned about two cords. I'm getting to the age that my butt runs out of gas along with my chainsaw.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Only got down to 14 here last night (19 predicted tonight) but managed to freeze water lines to two commodes. Fortunately they thawed by about noon. Meanwhile the shop remained at a cozy 68 (where it was set) to keep the glue joints and shop cat comfortable. No water lines there to worry about.
    Richard in Wimberley