Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book recommendations for beginners

Book recommendations for beginners

I was a little horrified to realize that I'm coming up on 3 dozen woodworking books on my shelf, below. ($500 worth of books??) Anyhow, the subject of good books for new folks comes up here a fair bit, so I thought I'd give my two cents on the subject and maybe inspire others to do the same.

My ground rules:
    -- I wanted a list of the most helpful books for a beginner, not the best WW books or even my favorite WW books. (Although I couldn't resist giving that too at the end.)
    -- I only included books I've actually read. That leaves out a gazillion books including many of the classics.
    -- I assumed that most beginners lean toward power tool woodworking rather than hand tools. My list would definitely be different for someone who knew from the get-go s/he wanted to go neander.
    -- I've said it here many times, but I'll say it again: the SMC archives have been the single most helpful resource for me, far more than any book.

My Picks:
    1. Small Woodworking Shops, FWW. This little book covers a lot of ground - what tools to buy, how to lay out your shop, dust collection, lighting, and a lot more. Nothing fancy, but for me it was invaluable.
    Workbenches, Schwarz. A mind-bogglingly good book about the most important tool in your shop. Fully lives up to its sub-title: "From design & theory to construction & use."
    3. Understanding Wood, Hoadley. I suspect this book would make more woodworkers' "top 5 books you need" lists than any other. Wood moves, and different woods move differently, and this book explains it all, simply at first and ultimately with more detail than my poor brain could handle.
    4. Measure Twice, Cut Once, Tolpin. Straightforward coverage of the basics of project design, which tools you need for marking and measuring, and how to use them. Does more showing than telling, which I like.
    5. Popular Woodworking magazine subscription. Okay, this is cheating, but it is what I'd recommend for a beginner. Every issue I've seen is filled with invaluable info that covers a lot of ground -- technique, finishing, reviews, projects, and a balance of power and hand tool material. It's about to merge with its sister publication Woodworking, and I predict it's only going to get better.

And my five favorite WW books:
    1. Workbenches, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Landis book, IMHO.
    2. Handplane Essentials, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Hack book, IMHO.
    3. The Perfect Edge, Hock. Blows the doors off the Lee book, IMHO.
    4. Understanding Wood, Hoadley. Doors firmly affixed.
    5. Woodworking with the Router, Hylton. An odd choice for me since I rarely use a router, but its just a great book.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Stiegler; 01-10-2010 at 1:56 PM. Reason: Correcting amusing (revealing?) error pointed out by Mike Henderson below.

Router Magic, Hylton, is another good read.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking - 3 book set
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stiegler View Post
    1. Workbenches, Schwarz. Blows the doors off the Landis book, IMHO.
    Having seen this book recommended frequently here on SMC, I bought it off Amazon without ever having flipped through it in person.

I've got to say - Schwarz's writing style bugs the heck out of me. It seems immature and unrefined. There's a "10 things you must do when building a workbench" chart. "4. You must stay married when building your workbench!". Haha - stupid joke - not funny. The book is just full of stuff that makes me cringe when reading. Anyhow - that's my rant. I suggest you flip through this book in person before buying it.

The best workbench reference I've seen is the "Show me pictures of your workbench" thread here on SMC.

I found Bill Hylton's Illustrated Cabinet Making very helpful when I started, and I still reference it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    I suggest you flip through this book in person before buying it.
    I think this is a smart suggestion. His writing has a more distinctive "voice" than most others in this genre, and if that voice annoys you it would be a distraction. If you don't have ready access to the book, check out his blog, his posts there will give a good flavor of how he writes.

For veneer work, "Woodworker's Guide to Veneering and Inlay" by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon.

The best way to learn the basics of veneering is from a person skilled in veneer work. This book is about the best if you can't get in-person instruction.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stiegler View Post
    A book that advocates exactly what I often do.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The Workshop Book by Scott Landis
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    For veneer work, "Woodworker's Guide to Veneering and Inlay" by Jonathan Benson. About $16.50 at Amazon.
    Only a woodworker as experienced as you, Mike, would think of a book on veneering and inlay as a top beginner choice.

I think every woodworker should read "A Reverence for Wood" by Eric Sloane and I think Tolpin's "Working Wood, A Complete Benchtop Reference" belongs in most every shop.
    James Krenov's "A Cabinetmaker's Notebook" is also pretty important.

I second for Scott Landis workshop Book, also his workbench book. Lots of great pictures and pearls of information

I think it's pretty important to define what one considers a beginner in these types of situations. For example, I may jump on your recs only to be disappointed because the resources listed are too simple or too advanced for my skill level.

I am what I would consider an advanced novice. Here are some I've found helpful.

For powered woodworking

1. FWW's Router Bandsaw Tablesaw: The Complete Guide to the Most Essential Power Tools, Three books in one by Pat Warner, Kelly Mehler and Lonnie Bird
    2. Woodworking with the Router by Bill Hylton.

Neandering

1. Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings by Aldren A Watson, I love the illustrations in this one.

Other

1. The Compete Guide to Sharpening by Leonard Lee, How to sharpen practically anything!
    2. Measure Twice, Cut Once: Lessons from a Master Carpenter . A little philosophy, a little woodworking. I just enjoyed reading this one.

+1 on Popular Woodworking. I like Wood mag as well.

Of course I'd also add SMC. Six bucks a year to be a contributor. So much info, so cheap.

Does anyone have a book suggestion for repair and refinishing of furniture?