Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Book recommendations for beginners

Someone asked for a good finishing book. I like Jeff Jewitt’s book, Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Beautiful Results. Which reminds me, I let a friend borrow this book a few months ago and needed it today. </SPAN>

Disclaimer: I absolutely hate finishing. I have no patience for it. But, the book is a good one. For beginner to advanced.

Matt,

You had one suggestion for a beginner DVD. I was thinking that as I came across that post. Since the Table Saw is usually the backbone of our shops, I found the DVD (just available as a video tape when I purchased it) "Mastering Your Table Saw" by Kelly Mehler an invaluable aid when I started out. I've watched some parts of it many, many times over.

First book that I bought was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by Feirer. It's a classic and a priceless shop book.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    A DVD suggestion is Mastering you Tablesaw with Kelly Mehler.

I love books and have a ton of great WW books but as for me learning the basics are always the easiest if you can see it. Plus check your local PBS listings for wood working shows Woodsmith Shop is a good one for a lot of basic tips plus it is free. I have tons of old edisodes saved and will play one when I have nothing better to watch and rarely do I not pick up something I can use.
    Thanks for the DVD recomendation, I also learn better by seeing something done. What's your thoughts on Kelly Mehler's tablesaw book or Tauntons complete illustrated guide to tablesaws??? For me probably a book with lots of clear photos or picutres would be most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Someone asked for a good finishing book. I like Jeff Jewitt’s book, Great Wood Finishes: A Step-by-Step Guide to Beautiful Results. Which reminds me, I let a friend borrow this book a few months ago and needed it today. </SPAN>

Disclaimer: I absolutely hate finishing. I have no patience for it. But, the book is a good one. For beginner to advanced.
    Jeff Jewitt’s new book and DVD on spray finishing is just out as well… haven’t read it yet but something to consider. Jeff is very smart when it comes to finishing (went to one of his two day seminars)
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

One of the most important things I have ever been told about woodwrking is that "you are the artist". I used to ask if a pen had to be a certain way or a bowl had to be a certain way and reply was "how do you want it to look?". I then started looking at masters and then looking at my ideas and seeing if we had anything in common...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Neely View Post
    First book that I bought was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by Feirer. It's a classic and a priceless shop book.
    I agree. Great reference. I was just looking at mine again this afternoon. I just ordered two more copies from Amazon (for one cent each plus shipping!), one for work and one to give to a friend. It's a school shop text so there should be lots around.

Thanks SMC

Ken,

You were the straw that broke the camel's back. I've seen these books recommended here for quite some time, but your recommendation finally prompted me to get the set.

Great books! Wish I had them five years ago!. Got the 3 volume set for $22.98 (including $3.99 shipping) from an Amazon seller goHastings. The set was immaculate!

Thanks to everyone here for the great suggestion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking - 3 book set

I didn't like the Mehler table saw DVD myself.

What about the new FWW archive DVD? I'm not sure it's really complete, but there's a lot in the old FWW magazines.

Rich

+2 on "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner. It is a very very useful book. The most useful book I have purchased. I have learned more from this forum though than any book I have read. This website is worth more than all of your books combined.