Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable air compressors

Portable air compressors

I'm in the market and thought I'd ask for advice first. Seems to be quite a range of styles (tanks, pancake, dual tanks) and prices from $89 - $400+. I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred give or take, but want to make sure I get a good one (quiet, fast refill, etc). Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edit - I'll be using it almost exclusively to drive 16 and 18 gauge pins/staples.
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 01-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.

I have a PC pancake as my portable... I love it except for the fact it is VERY loud. It is fine when working outside, but when inside, I try to put it in another room than where I am working where I can close the door. Lots of great options out there, but I think finding a truly quiet portable will be the challenge. Have you thought about the CO2 option?

None of the popular portable compressors are quiet... not by a long shot. Among oilless compressors the only brand I know of that is quiet (down to 40 decibels... which is pretty darn quiet) is Silent Aire but you pay a heavy premium for that feature.

I've had Makita and Porter-Cable twin tank compressors. Both are very good for portable compressors but the Makita is quite a bit quieter and at $300 it feels like a pretty good value.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    I'm in the market and thought I'd ask for advice first. Seems to be quite a range of styles (tanks, pancake, dual tanks) and prices from $89 - $400+. I wouldn't mind spending a couple hundred give or take, but want to make sure I get a good one (quiet, fast refill, etc). Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edit - I'll be using it almost exclusively to drive 16 and 18 gauge pins/staples.

Any significant advantages of various tank designs? Unless there's something I don't understand, seems like bigger would be better, meaning more pins driven between times it starts. Would a 6 gallon pancake need to cycle significantly more frequently than a 20 gallon horizontal? If they're all noisy, maybe the best strategy is to buy the one that runs the least.

bigger tank is better but when it does cycle the compressor has to run longer to fill it. A good solution is to have a 10 gallon auxiliary tank that you run inline with the compressor for when you expect to be doing a lot of work with your air tools. Oilless compressors generate a lot of heat when they are running, which is why you should never fully enclose them with sound insulation.

At any rate, a 3-4 gallon tank doesn't cycle that often unless you are doing something like spraying (which can be done with the right gun) or driving a framing nailer.

If they're all noisy, maybe the best strategy is to buy the one that runs the least.
    If portability is not needed a larger compressor is a great idea, you get more bang for your buck in general with the larger units. I personally have the PC pancake only for its portability (working in construction), I have a larger upright plumbed in the shop.

oil-less compressors are noisy and cheap... they are not designed for heavy duty use... after my Craftsman oil-less compressor shot craps I took it apart and I was going to put in new pistons... saw how cheap the whole set up was, I ditched it for a larger, better,better, cast iron, oil filled unit. Much happier. BUT, if you're going to use it occasionally to drive finish nails, then that is exactly the right market...

If you can afford the $400 range, there are some 60 gallon, 3 horse models that may be over-kill... but will last you forever.

i love my thomas air compressor. a little pricey but way less noise than that awful PC pancake although i love the nail guns it came with.

I have the PC 6 gallon pancake. Works great, but it is LOUD. Craftsman makes a small 3 gal. oil type, not too loud, more than enoough pressure for nailers. Harbor Freight also sell the Central Pneu. 8 gal. oil type. Can't comment on the noise, but the specs indicate plenty of air to power nailers.
    Measure twice - cut twice - Still TOO short!

I have a little 6 gallon Pro Force from Menards. Have had it about 3 years, and trimmed out 3 houses with it. I wouldn't call it quiet, but it is tolerable. Plenty of volume for nailers and such, with wheels to roll it around. At around $100, well worth the money. I have a 60 gallon in the shop.

I have two portable compressors for on site work. My Hitachi twin tank, which uses oil, works extremely well, is fairly quiet, and is a quality built unit. However, it is heavy and rather hard to carry. I also have a Senco portable compressor, which is oiless. It has a small tank that needs to cycle often. However, it is extremely light weight, very easy to carry, runs quietly, and for using finish nail guns, is perfect. Unless you are firing a lot of nails in a short period of time, you may have to wait from time to time for the tank to refill. Although I have never tried it, I don't think its the best choice for framing nail guns, blow guns, and definitely not for spraying.

I have a Makita air, built like a wheel barrow, very high quality. Decided it was time to change oil in the compressor, and it was still clean. Not as easy to move around as a lightweight, but many times better compressor.

I have a Campbell-Hausfeldt from Tractor Supply Company. It is an oiled compressor, 27gal capacity, and it works for anything that I have needed so far, including your nailers/staplers.

Try searching for Compressor Advice on the Creek. There were numerous threads when I bought mine about a year ago.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Why not spend about about $250 and get the Bostich pancake with 3 guns. Don't know how old your guns are but it never hurts to have spares and the price is not much more than a decent pankcake alone.

I would just get an inexpensive pancake unless you plan to use it a lot, if it is for a hobby shop it will last you for years not hurt your wallet although they are a little loud.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-11-2010 at 5:31 AM.

Look at the Rol-Air bull series. They have all sizes and configurations, and they make a good compressor. Mine is quieter than any other small compressor I have seen. Not to say it is quiet, but the sound is not grating.

http://www.rolair.net/products/spec_...002.html#specs