Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Hope Chest W/Pics

Cherry Hope Chest W/Pics

About a year ago I started building a bedroom set for a friend of mine. It is consists of a <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5192" TARGET="_blank">chest of drawers</A></EM></font>, an <A HREF="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5967" TARGET="_blank">end table</A></EM></font>, a head board that I haven’t posted here, and another side table of sorts that I also never posted here. Anyway, my friend just celebrated his 26th wedding anniversary and decided that a hope chest might be a nice way to fill a spot that they still had open in their bedroom. It just so happens that the Woodsmith plans that I was designing from had plans for a hope chest. With the go-ahead, I built this in two and a half weeks. They went to Florida for vacation to celebrate, and when they came back, her new gift was waiting for her.

Anyway, this isn’t my first love style-wise, but I continue to get a kick out of building these legs. I highly recommend giving them a shot if you’re building a project in this style. They make for a good combination of hand tools, power tools, and elbow grease.

The nickel hinges are from Horton Brass – best hinges around IMHO. The lid support is from Rocker and it closes on it’s own. Even my friends college age kids got a kick out of playing with this feature. I went this route because I wanted something that was nickel colored, unlike the brass chains. Turns out this was the best part of the project! And the lid won’t slam shut?! How cool is that?

The wood has a good deal of curl to it. The drawers were also made from curly soft maple that I had laying around. Alas, the dovetails were not cut by hand, but some day…. For now, me and the Leigh have a good working relationship.

My life has been pretty fast paced of late, so it's nice to finally post a project here again! It was a lot of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is beautiful Jason, you put a lot of detail and hard work into this project and it shows.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Beautiful work! I especially like the work you did with the drawers. Nice job!

Thumbs up Another homer!

Once again Jason you have hit it out of the park. The chest is beautiful and the workmanship is superb. So glad you are able to get back in the shop. It is always good to take time to smell the wood shavings Very nice!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Jason,
    You keep turning out work like that and FWW Magazine is going to have to give you a permanent page. Great craftsmanship really seems to have pulled this project off BIGTIME. Cherry is one of my favorite woods and I'm in awe.
    John

You did a wonderful job on this chest, Jason. While I know (and you stated) that the style isn't your preference, the quality of the work, material and finish is outstanding and you'll definitely want pictures of this in your "portfolio" anyway! Beautiful!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great work as usual...sigh...we all sound like a broken record when you post your stuff...get your butt out West...we need ya!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Well, nothing out of the ordinary from the Tuinstra Camp! Magnificent work, as always! I'm thinking of making something similar in the future for my step-daughter, but want to wait until her kids are a bit older/bigger.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Jason, that's a beautiful chest. I like the way you carried the design from the front onto the back. The chamfer detail on the corners is also nice. I actually love those types of feet and am planning on using that style on my next project - dressers for my 2 girls. What plans did you use to make them? I've kinda been trying to wing it with some prototypes using the tablesaw and bandsaw. Not quite there yet though. Anyway, again, great piece.

Be well,

Doc

Don, go for it. I'm sure you'll enjoy making these legs. You can download a copy of the plans for the legs for free from the Woodsmith website. I'll send you a private message with the link as I'm not sure if this is within the rules to post it here.

Jason, very nice once again. I always open your "pictures posts" with eager anticipation.
    Chad

Another beautiful piece Jason!

I'd be happy to have half of your talent...
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thumbs up

Jason
    All I can say is WOW!!!!!! I can see why your work will be in Fine Woodworking. The detail looks absolutely stunning. Keep up the pics they are inspiration to try harder to achieve that level of detail.

Thanks Tom

Jason, you amaze me. Outstanding work!

Jason,
    fantastic work love all the details and especially the legs, great selection of wood, just a joy to look at

Thanks Neil