Thread: Better Quality Magnetic Closers

Better Quality Magnetic Closers

I'm looking for input and experiences with magnetic or clasp closers/ stops for Euro cup-hinged inset doors for a kitchen cabinet project.

My experience has been that the ones sold by Amerock and KV have a cheap sounding "rattle" to them.....anybody know of some better stuff out there? Or, has anybody fooled around with making their own?

I'm thinking that I may have to use a clasp closer, But I'd love to find a sturdy magnetic set out there.

Thanks in advance, Walt.

For a really clean appearance, you can epoxy rare-earth magnets inside the wood, and plug the hole with matching wood. I like to also use a rubber or cork bumper, so the door goes thunk instead of clank. Try to keep the plug as thin as possible, and the airgap as thin as possible. Magnetism doesn't cross big gaps well at all. The magnets are available in coin shape, but you generally can't put that easily in the cabinet. They're also available in a shape like a pencil's eraser, and that fits better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For a really clean appearance, you can epoxy rare-earth magnets inside the wood, and plug the hole with matching wood. I like to also use a rubber or cork bumper, so the door goes thunk instead of clank. Try to keep the plug as thin as possible, and the airgap as thin as possible. Magnetism doesn't cross big gaps well at all. The magnets are available in coin shape, but you generally can't put that easily in the cabinet. They're also available in a shape like a pencil's eraser, and that fits better.
    Magnetism drops off inversely proportional to the square of the distance.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

4. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Magnetism drops off inversely proportional to the square of the distance.
    What are the units in that calculation?

Meaning, if a magnet has 2lbs of force at 0 distance, how do you calculate the force at say, 2mm distance?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heath Markovetz View Post
    What are the units in that calculation?

Meaning, if a magnet has 2lbs of force at 0 distance, how do you calculate the force at say, 2mm distance?
    Sorry I don't have those formulas at hand, but roughly if you had one pound of pull at 1/16" you would have 1/4 of that at 1/8"
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute