Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine jig, what do I need with it?

Wolverine jig, what do I need with it?

I got a Wolverine jig as a gift, and would love to be able to start using it, just wondered what I need to take full advantage of it. I would assume the Skew attachment, and dressing attachment (to make sure the wheels are true / round etc... What I am most curious about is the Vari Grind. Is it worth it?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The vari-grind is worth it if you use gouges that have a fingernail grind. Either spindle or bowl gouges. I use mine all of the time because it is simple, fast and most importantly give repeatable results.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

David - I use my vari-grind all the time and wouldn't be without it! The skew attachment I am not sure I would ever use. I use the small platform/table that came with the Woodcraft slow speed grinder for my skew and scrapers.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I mostly use the roughing gouges, bowl gouges, and I have a set of Benjamin's Best (PSI) Versa Chisels that I have ended up using in favor of the spindle gouge, and actually skews. I rarely use skews at all...

It's these....

Since the Skew gets such little use, I think I am only aiming at the Vari Grind for now then. Thanks!

David,
    I actually have two of the Vari-Grinds, one setup for bowl gouges, the other for spindle gouges. They both have been updated with the bearing, rather than the metal tab to hold the gouge in place (recommended).

I'm with Steve on the skew attachment. I use one because I have it, but I could get along fine without it.

You do need some way of redressing the wheels. Whether the Oneway dressing attachment or just a hand held version is your call.

Also, I recommend the balancing kit for your grinder. It does make things run smoother.

I like the skew attachment, cuts down on the limitations of my skills.

I highly recommend the Oneway balancer, it makes a huge difference.

Vary Grind

I use the vari-grind attachment all the time. I bought and then sold the skew attachment. Per your suggestion, you also need a wheel dresser.

Steve

I am like Philip. I have two vari-grinds that are for the spindle gouge and bowl gouge. The skew attachment you don't need as you can use the platform.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

The vari-grind (1 not 2) and the standard platform are essential. I would not buy either the skew jig or the dresser (skews are better done on the platform, and there are better dressing options).

I agree with Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    The vari-grind (1 not 2) and the standard platform are essential. I would not buy either the skew jig or the dresser (skews are better done on the platform, and there are better dressing options).
    What are the better options? I need a wheel dresser.

Doing it again, I'd buy the jig w/ platform and arm and the vari-grind jig. I don't use my skew attachment, it makes a bevel that isn't easily honed, and I find it very finicky to get a nice straight edge. Easier to use a normal platform. I also find the dressing attavhment poorly designed, it has minor flex in it that makes it annoying on fine grit wheels, and not nearly enough adjustment.
    I'd buy Bill Grumbine's dresser if I were doing it again (www.wonderfulwood.com). It uses the normal platform and seems like a good design.

The single-point diamond truing tools that work with the platform would be the best. There are a couple recent threads about those. If you just want something to clean and dress the wheels, any of the inexpensive T-bar (or other design) handheld tools on the market will do that job just fine.

Great advice folks!

Reading the instruction sheet for the Wolverine, they recommend an 8" full speed grinder with Aluminum Oxide wheels. Any idea why? I always thought slow speed grinders are what you want to use...

Through some Internet misadventuring, I ended up getting my wife the stand alone varigrind2 and the add on for the normal Wolverine (which I realized the day before Christmas Eve and made an emergency run to Woodcraft for the Wolverine).

How do the setups differ for the gouges? I looked at some PDF online, but I didn't see any change in the jigs, just how they were used...

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Morris View Post
    David,
    I actually have two of the Vari-Grinds, one setup for bowl gouges, the other for spindle gouges. They both have been updated with the bearing, rather than the metal tab to hold the gouge in place (recommended).

I'm with Steve on the skew attachment. I use one because I have it, but I could get along fine without it.

You do need some way of redressing the wheels. Whether the Oneway dressing attachment or just a hand held version is your call.

Also, I recommend the balancing kit for your grinder. It does make things run smoother.