Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plane Till Question

Blog Entries

Plane Till Question

My plane till project is getting closer to the top of my list. One question is does a plane till need a slight tilt?

The second question would be if it does need a tilt, how much?

Thanks in advance,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim - Just finished (almost) mine. Angle is about 7*, with "hooks" at the top that catches the toe + knob area of the bench planes. Without the hooks, I'd go at least 10*.

Block planes are weighted differently - I made a separate ledge to hold block + chisel that is at about 30*, and I had to make a separate bracket for large shoulder that's about 20*. These don't have any hooks - the planes just rest in their slots.

Edit - Jim - if you can wait a couple days, I can post photos, if you are interested. This thing started as a rack to hold 3 lousy saws, then I added the files for the saws, then 10 planes, then 12 planes (2 I dont' even own yet), then some LN screwdrivers I bought, then I decided I didn't like the layout of my tool wall, then I got more clamps, then I decided I didn't even like the brackets, etc for ANYTHING on my tool wall, so I had to remake all of those. No tangents left to pursue - some shellac on some brackets, and stuff is going on the wall. I gotta get a grip here.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 01-11-2010 at 3:59 PM. Reason: follow-up
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My plane till project is getting closer to the top of my list. One question is does a plane till need a slight tilt?

The second question would be if it does need a tilt, how much?

Thanks in advance,

jim
    Theoretically, no it doesn't - assuming you've made a catch pocket for the toe and heel.

But I can tell you as somone that has a concrete floor in my shop and a fair number of fairly valuable planes (both valuable to me and in the absolute sense), I'd be a lot more nervous if it didn't have a tilt.

Jim, the more important question is, "How many planes should a plane till hold?"
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I did put an angle on mine, because I prefered the convenience of easy and safe handling (no cleats, not laces, just lay the plane there). My angle is close to 1 in 2, only because it was determined by the depth of the case and the length of a #6. The "triangular" volume behind the board which holds the planes is also used, the whole thing is hinged and I have access to rarely used stuff back there.

peace

/p

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Jim, the more important question is, "How many planes should a plane till hold?"
    I am just making one for my bench planes. The rest will mostly be held in drawers or on shelfs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    The "triangular" volume behind the board which holds the planes is also used, the whole thing is hinged and I have access to rarely used stuff back there.

peace

/p
    I was considering this, did you use a piano hinge? is there a frame holding the till to hinge on?

More information would be appreciated as would pictures.

Thanks,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Red face

I keep my LN planes in their boxes and locked in my craftsman chest and locked in a closet in my locked garage.

In this or last months Fine Woodworking (Tools and Shops) there is a picture of Hack with 20 or so planes hanging behind him. It drove me crazy. Not if the planes fell from their pirch, but if they whole dang thing fell!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I was considering this, did you use a piano hinge? is there a frame holding the till to hinge on?

More information would be appreciated as would pictures.

Thanks,

jim
    Jim,

I didn't use a piano hinge, just two "regular" hinges, since the "door" is intended to be opened only when I have removed at least some of the heavier planes, then there is no need for a very strong hinge. My till holds #3, #4, #4.5, #5, #5.5 and #6, I would not lift the door unless I have removed at least 2 or 3 of the heavier planes. That said, my carcase has a thin plywood (yes sorry) back (1/4") in a groove running all around the inside of the case. This groove is about 3/4" from the back to allow for a french cleat to be attached to the frame and still make the whole case flush with the wall, does this make sense?

Anyway, I have another horizontal stick (maybe 3/4" by 1") parallel to the french cleat, doweled into the frame almost at the top, and I attached the hinges there (screws going through the plywood as well but not using the plywood structuraly). The two blocks seen directly above the #6 and above the #3, at eitehr edge of the "door" are also there to provide "meat" for the hinge screws, because the door itself is thin as well and gets its rigidity from the vertical dividers not from its slim thinckness.

This was one of my first projects, learned a lot, the surface where the planes sit, is darker only because I wrapped the plywood in some felt, to keep the planes warm

Hope this helps, if not let me know and I can get more pics over the weekend (I am traveling right now).

/p

Jim,
    My design is very similar to Pedro's, only just the center section lifts up for concealed storage. I would measure the angle, but it is buried in the garage with rest of my shop, patiently waiting their new home. I really didn't measure...just used what looked safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

till

You might try looking on You tube at the L-N videos . You can see a plane till behind Deneb as he works on a scrub plane . I'm guessing the tilt is about 22 1/2 degrees .
    I'm busy copying that design right now .

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, my thoughts were the panel with the planes swinging to the side not up. Up might be easier.

jim

This is a little different, but I need to store more planes. Here's mine, it's monted on a french cleat. I think I'm going to turn the planes on thier sides, that will let me add another shelf inbetween the current shelves and allow the blade to stay out and ready if I wish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

this one by Chris Gochnour, is at 5 degrees (uses string loops to hold the planes), and looks simple & cheap to make.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG....aspx?id=33075
    -Dan

Mine just sit on the shelf below my bench, it is realy handy, you can switch plane with out having to run around.

Here is a small till. The angle is about 20 degrees. There is a small lip that the toe slips in to. The angle seems about right.

It is Frenched cleated to a French cleated panel. I was concerned about the weight

Ken