Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas Gauge versus Tight Mark

Blog Entries

Veritas Gauge versus Tight Mark

In considering a new marking gauges, it comes down to being between the Tight Mark from Glenn Drake or the Veritas Wheel Marking gauge.

Any opinions about the differences between these two?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have both. And they both work well. I like my Titemarks a bit better as they seem to stay sharp longer and just generally cut a little better, but for the price difference .... that perception of better performance and handling might be kind of a thin reed.

Jim,
    I also have both, and since I got my tite-mark, the LV sits. I have both LVs, and would not recommend the adjustable one, very awkward to use; the standard one works nicely. The tite-mark just works well, and feels good. Well worth the extra dinero.
    That is my opinion,
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I had both at one time but I always pick up the tite-mark. The micro adjustment on the tite-mark works well. The LV adjustment is not as smooth. I ended up selling the LV gauge. It's like the difference between a LN and an old Stanley. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Jim,
    I have owned both and find the tite-mark much easier to adjust, especially with one hand. I sold my LV and bought a second tite-mark.
    Gary

If you are going to use the gauge for dovetails, especially half blind, it's nice to have two - one for the thickness of the material and one for the depth of the half blind.

Maybe buy one of each and then sell the one you don't like and buy one more of the one you like - and let us know which one you liked.

I have the LV and am satisfied but I've never used the titemark.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In considering a new marking gauges, it comes down to being between the Tight Mark from Glenn Drake or the Veritas Wheel Marking gauge.

Any opinions about the differences between these two?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

jim
    I've used the L-V adjustable gauge, and I own the Tite-Mark standard. If you intend on using the gauge with accessories, then the Tite-Mark is the only way to go - you can get slitting blades, fixed-width mortise blades, adjustable width mortise blades, and even convert the gauge to a more than passable panel gauge with the addition of the extension rods.

I have a strong appreciation for high precision and quality in tools, and the Tite-Mark is, in my opinion, a very inexpensive piece of incredible machining quality - there is no play that I can detect in the threads on mine, and the grip checkering is just right (not too sharp, but still very grippy).

I suspect there's a reason that you don't often see these for sale - no one wants to sell theirs.

I have both. For years I owned only the LV, then bought the Tite-Mark. Now I use only the Tite-Mark. It's one of those things where you'd probably be happy with the LV as long as you never tried the Tite-Mark, but once you try the Tite-Mark you say "Wow, I didn't know a marking gauge could be that good!"

Geez thanks guys, I only have two LV's and for some reason I can see a Tite-Mark in my future

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the input.

I guess this means I should keep an eye on the SMC classifieds for a used LV marking gauge or two?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Perhaps I'm not using it correctly, but I have the LV and don't care for it. Thinking it must be the blade, I tried sharpening to no avail so I bought another blade when making an order. I still don't care for it. I think it's the only LV item I have that I have no use for.

That said - I bought thier little 3 in 1 brass marking gauge and put the blade on it - it's great and I use it most of the time. I also bought LVs new mini-marker (more curious than anything) and it cuts much better than the standard wheel gauge. I actually find it handy for hinges because you can mark both depth and witdth with a single gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Thanks for all the input.

I guess this means I should keep an eye on the SMC classifieds for a used LV marking gauge or two?

jim
    I have one that I will sell you (or anyone else for that matter), shoot a PM if you are interested.
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 01-11-2010 at 8:23 PM.

I have two of the LV, and the Tite-Mark will be comming my way prety soon... I think from what I read here and there that it is just a better tool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Roderick View Post
    I have both. For years I owned only the LV, then bought the Tite-Mark. Now I use only the Tite-Mark. It's one of those things where you'd probably be happy with the LV as long as you never tried the Tite-Mark, but once you try the Tite-Mark you say "Wow, I didn't know a marking gauge could be that good!"
    +1. I have both, and those are exactly my feelings. Amazing quality and well worth the money.

I have the Tite-Mark, the LV with micro-adjust, the small brass 3-in-1, and the newest LV stainless one. Can't have too many marking gauges. I find the LV awkward to use with one hand, though perfectly fine with two hands. The Tite-Mark rocks, but is *pricey*.

My only complaint about the Tite-Mark is that the nylon drag screw is very sensitive. It's only a smidgeon of an angle between "too loose" and "too tight"