Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought a shaper...sort of. Can you help?

I bought a shaper...sort of. Can you help?

I responded to a local Craigslist ad this weekend and finally went out this evening to pick up a Woodtek HS7 "Tilting Arbor Moulder" from a cabinet shop for a few hundred bucks. Good deal, I think, because it's a monster for my tiny shop. About 600 lbs, we guessed, and now it sits on the shop floor, looking great (thanks to the engine hoist to get it out of the trailer). (Attached is a pathetically blurry cell phone pic. Sorry)

It was purchased a long time ago by this shop with some plans in mind, I guess, and sat on its pallet for the last 18 years under a tarp. They wanted the floor space back, and I got a heck of a deal. It still had plastic and grease on it. It's never been wired (there was shipping plastic over the electrical box). All of the spindles and tools were still wrapped in their original wax paper, and it was still bolted to the original shipping pallet. So, honestly, it was new. At 5.5 HP, it's more than big enough for anything I can throw at it. Reversible...and tilting. WHY would you want to tilt the arbor? I don't get that.

The bad news - 1) It was made in 1992, so parts are going to be hard to find. They stopped selling that model somewhere around 8 years ago. 2) The manual says it only came in a 3-phase model. 3) Worst - it's missing the fence. They looked for it, but said they'd never seen anything like that with it, and guess it either never shipped with it or it just has been lost.

My plan is to use this as a souped-up router table - I have loads of 1/2 router bits, and I think (7k or 10k speeds) that they should be ok with this. It has a 1/2" collet I just mounted tonight, along with 3/4 and 1" spindles.

So, a few questions for those who know a little something about shapers -- I know this is "just an import", right? It looks semi-well finished, plastic handwheels, hammered metal, nicely ground and flat top. Did I just buy a well-known piece of junk? Or is it going to hold up alright?

Am I going to have any luck finding either an original or aftermarket adjustable fence for this? Is there any point in looking? Is this thing worth any time or money invested? I know I can slap a board and clamps on it and call it a fence, but do they sell (like Incra or someone) a shaper fence upgrade? Or should I keep my eye on the auction sites and see what I can find? I did email WW Supply - they sell these. Maybe they'll have some advice.

Lastly - the motor. All of this is relatively moot if this really is a 3-phase motor, since I only have single phase in the shop and don't know if I want to buy a phase converter to make it work for me. There's a sticker on the motor that says "220v" and there's a 4.4kw/5.5HP rating on the electrical box inside the base. The manual says it's only available in 3-phase, but I thought those were different voltages than 220 (208, 277/480?). Obviously, I know nothing about 3-phase stuff. The last thing I want is a fried motor or electrical fire in the shop. I haven't even opened the external panel - just curious if someone knows off the top of their head that 220 means 220, single phase, all the time?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shaper

I have 220 volt 3 phase tools. If you are familiar with motor sizes look at the motor. A 5 hp 3 phase motor is considerably smaller than a 5 hp single phase motor

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ross View Post
    I have 220 volt 3 phase tools. If you are familiar with motor sizes look at the motor. A 5 hp 3 phase motor is considerably smaller than a 5 hp single phase motor
    Well, it looks the right size to me. It's half-again larger than the 3HP motor in the PM2000, and has large cooling fins all around the casing. I know there's something about the...(sorry, I'm an idiot) external capacitors? Like you can count them to find out the difference? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

220 volt 3 phase is actually achieved by using two normal 110 volt poles and adding a third "high" 220 volt phase. My shop is wired for 240 volt 3 phase and all we did was, literally, add another line from the third phase cable outside my door.

So yes, you probably have a 220 volt 3 phase machine there.

Does the motor have any capacitors strapped to the outside? Also, can you count how many individual conductors leave the motor (are there 2 or 3)?

3 phase

Nathan.. I don't think either one of us will make it as an electrician. None of my 3 ph motors have capacitors that are visible. If you take the cover off the motor where the power is fed there might be a label showing the number of line voltage connections. If it shows 3 lines the motor is 3 phase. Please do not take any of my info as gospel.

Brian

Tilting arbor. Handy for making more profiles, especially arched molding.

WoodTec is Woodworkers Supply house brand. They import them to their specs.

http://woodworker.com/

Found the voltage plate on the inside of the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Conner View Post
    2) The manual says it only came in a 3-phase model.
    Well. The manual and the seller both lied. I went to get some photos to answer some of your questions, and I find that if I use a flashlight and scrunch myself enough inside the base and use a mirror in the other hand, I can read that it's a Ling Tang motor - 3 HP, single phase, 220. There's a name plate at the top inside.

Thanks for the voltage help, guys. This part, at least, is done. Any recommendations about the fence? I love the utility of the Jet extruded aluminum one, but...for most applications, I'm guessing the cost of a fence would pay for a lot of homemade ones?

3 phase motors don't use starting capacitors. If the motor has capacitors mounted on it, it is single phase.

John

THANK you, John. I don't feel like a complete idiot this go round, at least. I knew that had something to do with it?

Turns out it is a 220 single phase. The plate is nearly impossible to see, much less read, but I got it with a mirror and a headache.

Check with WWS.
    They might have a fence laying around for it.
    They have been having some huge discounts on new machinery lately, trying to reduce inventory.

First thing you NEED to do is call Woodwookers Supply. I bought an old Woodtek 15" planer about 8 months ago off CL. Their tech people are great. They had ALL the parts to replace everything I needed. Give them the serial number (if you can find one) and they can tell you everyting you need to know about it. If you look at their catalogue, I think you will rethink the title of this post and GLOAT will be in there somewhere. I'm not saying that their stuff is GREAT quality, but it CERTAINLY ain't cheap. Their prices are equal to or more expensive than Grizzly. Their quality is better than HF. Their CS is outstanding. Call them, really...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Adjustable fences can be very handy, some guys get by with plywood fences and do fine. others use the adjustable fences all the time, depends on the type of work you'll be doing. Then of course you could make your own adjustable with a little ingenuity.
    Basically any aftermarket or replacement fence will work You'll likely just need to drill and tap 2 holes in the top. Personally I think the Delta extruded aluminum fence is a nicely made unit, not sure what they run, but if you find a need for a good fence may be worth it. Stay away from the Powermatic fences, at least the style on the older 26-27 models, really not very good IMHO.
    good luck,
    JeffD

That model had a nice long run, so I don't think that parts will be much of an issue. Check eBay for shaper fences. Sometimes there are nice ones for sale/auction. Definitely a gloat.
    JR

Saw this on my local CL list, dont know if its a good deal or not but its a new shaper fence.

http://fargo.craigslist.org/tls/1544727504.html