Thread: Anant Vise quick release slipping

Anant Vise quick release slipping

I bought a quick release Anant Vise several years ago and it would slip when tightened. I tried to make several adjustments to correct it but did not help then recently I saw several posts commenting on the same problem. So I got the vise back out and tried to make those changes with no luck. I decided to take off the quick release part and replace it with Acme nuts matching the screw on the vise. That is my problem. I ordered Acme nuts 7/8 x 6 RH. They start to go on the thread but stopped with 1/4 turn. Anyone know what the correct nut size would be?
    Thanks
    dave

Gentlemen,you MUST stop buying stuff made in India. There is no telling what nut will work.I'd have to examine the actual vise. It may have something special,like a metric thread,or a unique thread form. The form of the thread may be incorrect for a quick release vise. Mine has a buttress thread. The side that does the locking needs to either be perfectly vertical,or even a bit hollow so the nut won't release.

If I had the vise,and had to use it,I'd make another vise screw for it. You can buy threaded acme screw rod,but unless you have a metal lathe,you couldn't turn the ends down where needed.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-12-2010 at 10:04 AM.