Thread: Interior trim finish

Interior trim finish

Hi Everyone,
    I've got several questions, and I apologize in advance because I'm sure they're covered in one form or another here already. In searching, I seem to be getting more confused.

I'm making the trim for our new house. We're going to have red oak hardwood floors in parts of the house with a "natural" or "clearcoat" finish. The floors will be prefinished. Kitchen cabinets will also be red oak with a natural/clearcoat finish. I'd add though that both of these finishes have a more "yellow" look than any clear finish I've ever used on oak. My experience has been with wipe/brush on poly mostly. Both cabinets and floors are actually American oak, and not chinese or imported.

The trim I'm making is going to be wormy red oak, with flutes and rosettes. I'm looking for recommendations on what to finish it with. I'd like to ultimately spray the finish (which will be the subject of the next post) since there will be a good bit of finishing to do. I will have a space to do the spraying. Since it will be trim around doors etc., durability and cleanability of the finish will be important. SO, any recommendations for a durable, cleanable, sprayable, clearcoat/natural finish? I'd probably prefer a water-base, but I'm open to all suggestions.

*Edit-Also if anyone has any thoughts on the process, like shellacing first or something, that would be helpful too.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Dave Norris; 01-17-2010 at 2:04 PM. Reason: Additional info sought