Thread: First project

First project

I've been lurking about and reading and finally after looking at all the fine woodworking I'm seeing here, I decided that it was time to try to make something that could actually be put "inside" a house.

This is a box I built for a gift. In fact, this is the first thing I have built that was of any higher degree than a deck or doghouse. There's a lot of mistakes and I found I have a lot to learn about finishing wood. All the wood is from trees I cut on my land and worked into lumber.

This box I made to hold a bible we gave to my brother-in-law for a wedding gift. It is made of Walnut, Oak, and Hickory; I found out the hickory isn't the easiest wood to work. It has a bottom that will lift pivot to reveal a chamber below.

Thanks for the inspiration to start, and hopefully, my skill's will grow as time passes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work, Darrell! I like the combination of woods, but you are right about hickory being difficult to work! Very nice history with the wood coming from your property and being hand milled to finish - fitting background for a Bible box gift to your BIL.

You should be very proud of this - I can assure you my first project didn't look this good!

Thank you John. The funny thing is that after I managed to get the tree(s) turned into plank and stacked for drying...I was so proud that I had told my self that the "hard" part was behind me....Now just "make" stuff.

I sure learned different.

Darrell, That being your first project, you are off and running. Your first project turned out great. I also like the history of the wood, and the purpose of the box, to house God's Word. Your gift will be enjoyed for years to come.

Good job, Sam

looks better than my first project, that is for sure. Nice job
    fledgling weekend warrior

Blog Entries
    Very nice first project. BTW, what is "Free Oklahoma"? I grew up in Okla but haven't lived there in a long time and haven't heard that term.

Again nicely done as I just commented on the other box...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    Very nice first project. BTW, what is "Free Oklahoma"? I grew up in Okla but haven't lived there in a long time and haven't heard that term.
    Thanks Jim!

Free Oklahoma? In the current political climate, we here in klahoma are becoming VERY state right minded.

And, I must say, woodworking is quickly becoming an endeavor to vent my steam on....

Back to the box, I do appreciate the kind words and am working hard to get a bit closer to the quality of build all you guy's are exhibiting!