Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bosch colt

Bosch colt

Anyone have first hand experience. Looks useful and generally good reviews but bit change seems to be a recurring knock. Just handled one and I like it. My other Bosch tools are winners and the bad reviews surprised me. thanks

I don't have one, but those that do swear by them. Top rated tool.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

bosch router

John
    I have 3 of them which are VS.
    I use them in the CNC router
    other than the typical router wine
    they are the same as all trim routers
    have run them for 6+ hrs straight with no issue.
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

I use one in my remodeling business to cut hinge mortises and for small round overs. I love it.

AZCRAIG

2 Colts here...each has a different roundover bit. I won't change it out until it gets dull.

Overall I think they are a pretty good tool.

Ed

It really is one of those tools that for most jobs you do not HAVE to have but when you get one you find yourself using it a lot more than you ever thought you would. It is so much easier to handle and will work for most anything where you do not have to remove a lot of stock, but does have surprising power. I have used it to trim all kinds of things and I use it to trim my veneer in a shooting rig. I used it last week to do a hinge mortise for a neighbor and I chamfered a bunch of edges on a piece last month and it was the first thing I reached for. I have not had any bit change issues but I have seen it mentioned.

Probably doesn't do anything a full sized router can't do.

It's just lighter and easier to work with, changing bits takes a little bit, but never found it troublesome, the wrench that came with it didn't fit, but other than that, I like mine and would buy another one if needed.

I like the varible speed so that's the one I'd get.

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I Have one, I love it. I use it for almost all of my handheld routing chores. Anything it can't do is done on the router table.

I probably use mine for more jobs than I should, but I don't have a 1hp router. I have a big 2 1/4 hp plunge router and the table mounted router. Since I got the colt, I don't use the plunge router much.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I love this router too with the stock base - easy to control. I bought the larger round base that is used to hold template bushings and consider it unusable. It's hard to put in words but the design uses an "O" ring between the base/bushing/router to clamp the template. Problem is that after you tighten the base bolts to the router the base is warped. If you remove the "O" ring the base is flat but the bushing is loose.

Mike

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I love this router too with the stock base - easy to control. I bought the larger round base that is used to hold template bushings and consider it unusable. It's hard to put in words but the design uses an "O" ring between the base/bushing/router to clamp the template. Problem is that after you tighten the base bolts to the router the base is warped. If you remove the "O" ring the base is flat but the bushing is loose.

Mike

Mike
    Mike,

I bought a a round base for bushings at Rockler and mine didn't have the o ring you speak of. The bushings tighten against the base. No problems at all with mine.

Craig

From Sam Maloof's workshop:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Love mine. No complaints at all. Use it for darn near everything and anything I don't do on the router table.
    Robbie

I don't have the VS model, but i use mine all the time. Much easier to wrangle than my full sized router. Also, has plenty of power...

Anyone else have tp remove the collet to change the bit every time?

Blog Entries
    Love my VS model. The collet lock is a weak point. Bosch supplied a second wrench at no cost when I had the broken collet lock repaired (haven't used the lock since). This worked out great for me as collet locks always seemed clumsy to me. With two wrenches you don't apply torque to the motor body and they are so easy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler