Thread: G0634Z vs Jet JJP 12" Helical Head Combo Machines

G0634Z vs Jet JJP 12" Helical Head Combo Machines

There are numerous threads in regards to combo machines for jointer/planers, but i have a few specific questions that i have only found sporadic comments in regards to. I have narrowed down between the Jet and the Grizzly with helical cutter heads, but am trying to finalize a decision for this coming year. My lunchbox planer has seen a lot more wood than I think it was ever designed for, and selling my G0490 for 500-600$ + the cost of a standalone helical head cutter planer (~1500$) i can justify spending another 500$ for a combo machine that would suit my use and space much better.

Primarily, there a few things:

-How does the fence function on the Grizzly operate? Is it their standard fence as on their jointers? I noticed comments on this in regards to the jet fence easily being out of skew due to it having each end on its on pivot arm.

-The swing up of the Grizzly jointer wings: Do they hold flat and square pretty well? I like the idea of the Jet machine having both wings attached on the same frame, so they swing up simultaneous, whereas the Grizzly's has each wing swing up individually.

-3hp vs 5hp? I think either would be more than sufficient.

- What is the purpose of the machining on the jet wings vs the normal ground flat standard on most tools? It is kind of a channeled machining, something unique i haven't seen on any other cast iron tops.

-I prefer the bridge guard the Jet has over the standard porkchop on the Grizzly. I have read comments the grizzly has to be removed for some operations. Any elaboration on this?

And for those who will sell me on the Euro Combo machines (A3-31), it is a nice machine with great customer loyalty, but a Jet Helical head for $2500 delivered, or Grizzly at $2630 delivered, I can think of a lot better use of the difference of $1000 than for the Euro machine. Unless they have a sale and i can get it for under $3000 shipped, it really isn't in my radar.

Thanks in advance. Any other comparisons or input/complaints/praises would be appreciated. Hopefully i am not repeating any information or questions already covered in another thread somewhere.
    Last edited by alex grams; 01-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I've got the JJP-12 (sans helical cutter head). The corrugated surface of the infeed and outfeed tables is supposed to reduce drag as you push wide pieces across. I use the Bostik products to clean and lubricate the tables. Makes for a nearly friction free experience.

I also like the bridge guard over the traditional U.S. swinging style. It took a little time to develop a routine for moving my hands smoothly over the guard but I like the extra protection it affords.

-Mike

JJP-12 fence

Yes, it's certainly not traditional. It doesn't stay aligned as it moves across the tables. Unlike a table saw fence, it doesn't need to stay aligned. Stock feeding across a cutterhead at an angle is not a problem, and can be a benefit. The Jet fence stays at 90 degrees once set which is what matters to me. If I used the jointer function for bevels it would be more of a pain; the 45 and 90 stops are 'approximate'. I just set mine with a good square and leave it, checking periodically to be sure it hasn't moved.

In a home shop setting, I'm not seeing what a 5hp motor would do over 3hp. I guess more brawn doesn't hurt except that the 5hp motor would require a 30A circuit vs. 20A circuit for the 3 hp motor. That could be a problem for some folks like me.

I'm considering a new J/P. Actually, I've been procrastinating a bit too much. I like the Jet because it has a more compact footprint and changeover between jointing and planing is simpler. Oh, and it runs on a 20A circuit.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I have the Grizzly G0634. The fence is very beefy and reliable, trade off is it takes up quite a bit space. I would prefer a euro guard as well, but the pork chop works fine too. No problem tables going back to square/level after change over. This machine is about the same design as the MM version other than the cutterhead, fence and the guard, so in a way proven design for jointer tables tilting up individually.

When I bought mine, no other J/P had helical head, so that made the decision for me. I would say try to see both in person to decide which you like the more. Seems like both work just fine, each with different strengths and weaknesses.

I have seen the jet model in person, but not the grizzly. The jet was nice and solid, just the fence seemed kind of awkward, and the beds were peculiar to me.

I may check with Grizzly if anyone in Houston has a 634 I can check out.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I wrote a review of the JJP-12. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine, each has some minor pros and cons. For me, the JET saves a lot more shop space, which ultimately tipped the scales in its favor.

Answers in bold below.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    -How does the fence function on the Grizzly operate? Is it their standard fence as on their jointers? I noticed comments on this in regards to the jet fence easily being out of skew due to it having each end on its on pivot arm.
    The Grizzly fence uses the regular rack-and-pinion system, which ensures it stays parallel to the table. The JET fence is secured via some knobs. It works fine, but it's something to get used to. Not having it parallel doesn't affect operations, but it's more difficult to adjust. On the other hand, Grizzly's rack-and-pinion fence makes the machine a lot wider (deeper), and the fence has to be removed when converting to planer. It's quick, but you need room to put it somewhere.

-The swing up of the Grizzly jointer wings: Do they hold flat and square pretty well? I like the idea of the Jet machine having both wings attached on the same frame, so they swing up simultaneous, whereas the Grizzly's has each wing swing up individually.
    I don't think there is any concern with them not staying flat, they're quite beefy. I have not seen any reports of the tables not staying square. Theoretically, I suppose having two separate tables means they could get out of alignment with one another, but that's pure speculation.

-3hp vs 5hp? I think either would be more than sufficient.
    The JET I have has 3HP, and I think it's plenty. I was able to joint an 11.5" wide board of Purpleheart without problems. I wasn't hogging off 1/8", but it wasn't 1/128" either.

- What is the purpose of the machining on the jet wings vs the normal ground flat standard on most tools? It is kind of a channeled machining, something unique i haven't seen on any other cast iron tops.
    The "ribbed" surface is supposed to reduce drag. I'm not sure it really does, but I don't dislike it It does prevent you from seeing scratches like you do on a flat table.

-I prefer the bridge guard the Jet has over the standard porkchop on the Grizzly. I have read comments the grizzly has to be removed for some operations. Any elaboration on this?
    I prefer the bridge guard as well. You don't have to remove the guard on the Grizzly to convert to planer mode, just the fence

Bas, nice review. I agree on the handles that lock the fence down, I replaced them last week with handles that sit above the top of the fence and am much happier. I don't know if the ribs reduce friction, I understood the ribbed table surfaces is due to the method used to grind them true. The only downside is the way you adjust the stops to get the fence to stop at 45 and 90 is very cheesy and imprecise. I set it to 90 and don't move it so that doesn't matter to me, but if you did change angles from time to time, this fence wouldn't shine. The Jet is an excellent machine, and very efficient on space. I don't have the helical heads because they didn't offer it at the time, and even if they did, I don't know if I would have spent the extra money.

Does anyone know if the helical head inserts on the Jet are a standard size? So I might be able to buy the replacements from say Grizzly? I am just looking at down the road...

Thanks for any information you may have
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

I finally found a reference in some Jet materials that refer to the inserts on their machines as Shelix, and after looking at more pictures of heads on the Jet's, I am going to assume that they actually are a genuine Shelix head, and not a Grizzly style Spiral insert cutter head without the shearing action.

So - I was really going back and forth still between the Grizzly and the Jet. I was on the Grizzly website and see the G0634 with spiral is $2339 with shipping. This model was replaced by the G0634Z with a price shipped of $2639. I cannot find any difference between these 2 machines other than in the picture of the "Z" someone photo-shopped out the decal from the G0634 picture.

But now I again have found the Jet JJP-12HH for $2500 including shipping with lift gate service from ToolsPlus.....
    Then throw in the standard JJP is $1800 delivered and that $700 buys a bunch of sharpenings and blades. - But does it buy 4 sets of blades and the aggravation of setting them?

I need to make this decision and fast!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
    I finally found a reference in some Jet materials that refer to the inserts on their machines as Shelix, and after looking at more pictures of heads on the Jet's, I am going to assume that they actually are a genuine Shelix head, and not a Grizzly style Spiral insert cutter head without the shearing action.

So - I was really going back and forth still between the Grizzly and the Jet. I was on the Grizzly website and see the G0634 with spiral is $2339 with shipping. This model was replaced by the G0634Z with a price shipped of $2639. I cannot find any difference between these 2 machines other than in the picture of the "Z" someone photo-shopped out the decal from the G0634 picture.

But now I again have found the Jet JJP-12HH for $2500 including shipping with lift gate service from ToolsPlus.....
    Then throw in the standard JJP is $1800 delivered and that $700 buys a bunch of sharpenings and blades. - But does it buy 4 sets of blades and the aggravation of setting them?

For me I would just get the HH version, I hate setting blades and prefer the finish of HH cuts plus the cutter is doing double duty so will get dull much faster than a seperate planer and jointer. Just me but the $700 is long term well spent.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 02-08-2010 at 6:35 PM.

In addition to what Van said, the advantage of jointing and planing figured boards with minimal tear out is a big plus. If I had it to do over again, the $700 difference would be easily overcome with the enhanced performance of the helix head. Not to mention that you're really getting two machines in one and so the cost of the upgrade is really justified IMO.

-Mike

Got this info when I was checking Friday. The Grizzly G0364 is discontinued and no longer available and the G0634Z is not in stock until May 11. The JJP-12 is no longer available and JJP-12HH is in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post

***EDIT***DOH! Had to add the item to to the cart to see the price***EDIT***How did you get the price to $2500? I checked their site and it's currently listed at $2999. For $2500 I'd take the Jet over the Grizzly, but from my searching I'd rather have the grizzy and keep the extra couple hundred dollars.

Also to the person who asked what the difference was between the G0634 and the G0634Z, the only difference is that on the Z they use slightly thicker carbide cutters. Otherwise the two machines are the same.