Thread: Ideas needed

Ideas needed

Hello everyone,

I work in the natural gas industry, specifically with underground pipelines. Just before Christmas one of my crews was working in the oldest section of our city when they found the valve in the photo below. It was long ago abandoned and is most likely 90+ years old. Solid brass this one. The crew cleaned it up and gave it to me for Christmas. I'd like to mount it on a nice piece of wood and display it in our office but I'm not sure of the best way to do this. It's heavy so the attachment method would have to be strong.
    Any Ideas? I'm kinda stumped....

Jan13_0002.jpg

that's interesting!!!

You'd definitely need a good strong 'backer' board. I'd suggest starting with at least 1.5" thick hardwood. You should probably 'through-bolt' some sort of hanger or support, since any sort of screwing or adhesive would not work. And make sure it gets mounted extremely securely to the wall - right into a stud, or a brick wall.

Instead of mounting it like a plaque, how about some sort of glass-enclosed box (wood bottom, with framed glasss on the other 5 sides) and display it on a desk or a table? You could even make a small stand/table solely for it.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

You could mount it on a piece of 3/4" hardwood....a plaque of sorts and drill through from the backside of the valve. Insert a washer and nut inside the valve to hold it. I would use at least 2 bolts ....one at each end.

If the metal has softened to the point of not being able to support the valves weight, you might use a plaque with a shelf of sorts on it. Adhere the valve on the shelf using an adhesive of some kind....say clear epoxy or clear silicon caulk.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What size valve is it?

Is the valve threaded? What size is it?

How about getting two short nipples, threading them into the valve and using u-clamps to secure the valve and nipples to the backer board? This display would make the valve look more like it would in service.

If you don't want to use pipe clamps, stainless steel cable ties secured through slots in the backer board should be strong enough.

MK

Blog Entries
    +1 for a shelf type of plaque. Antique enthuasists say don't modify or alter it. Adding anything to it or around it that was new would take away from it.

Blog Entries
    I think I would try to inlay the valve part way into the plaque. It would be harder to do , but would look really nice. A couple of dowels into the threaded ends would hold it in place.

Or:

Make a couple of wood pipe elbows and insert them into the ends of the valve and attach the elbows to the plaque back.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute