Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut Oil ??

Here's some info Richard that you can use, it is from the Lee Valley site, HTH

Walnut finishing oil.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Thanks Leo. Very helpful information. Since I applied very thin wipe-on coats, I do not anticipate a problem with drying/curing. In fact the first coat was virtually dry by the time I made it all the way around the bowl. Thanks all for your help.
    Richard in Wimberley

As many as needed.
    The chart Leo posted is good advise ime.

But I differ on length of time to wait before topcoating.
    If you allow each coat to dry you can topcoat after the final coat is dry for about 2-4 days (depends on the weather).

I will say I've only ever topcoated walnut oil with shellac, oil based varnish or some other oil or oil/varnish blend, wax, or some combination of those.

Lacquer and WB finishes might pose some problems.
    If using them, test or wait would be the best advise I could give.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    Grocery store. Still not inexpensive and only one brand available. Two wipe on coats from this afternoon seemed dry so I put on one more coat this evening. Sunlight is in pretty short supply at the moment but there is no rush. Still have at least one more bowl to build. I would think that multiple very light coats would be better than one or two very heavy coats. Do not want to saturate the wood, just seal and protect the surface a bit. Will see what tomorrow brings.

How many coats do you usually apply?

Thanks Bob. Not planning a top coat. Maybe a little buffing on the outside. Will just have to see how it goes, having never used the walnut oil before. At this point am just happy to see zero sanding scratches.
    Richard in Wimberley

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madison View Post
    In fact the first coat was virtually dry by the time I made it all the way around the bowl. Thanks all for your help.
    Richard---It may have been absorbed by the wood quickly, but it takes time for it to actually dry, especially the grocery variety with no drying additives.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Thanks Dan.
    Richard in Wimberley