Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid R4511 TS...Need HELP!! How do I get this into the basement??

Ridgid R4511 TS...Need HELP!! How do I get this into the basement??

Guys

First of all, this is my very first tool gloat!! I snagged the last Ridgid TS at $299 tonight at my local HD....very excited to be upgrading from a portable saw...i currently have the Bosch 4100 which I'm planning on keeping.

Anyway, the saw is at will call since I couldn't get it home tonight....the box didn't fit in my small SUV. I'm going to rent a pick-up and hand truck.

How many manageable peices can I break the saw down into to get it into the my basement workshop??? I'm guessing the top is 3 sections, remove the motor, and keep the trunnion attached to the base? thoughts?

Unfortunately I have to move this thing by myself

TIA

George

george - where are you locate?

you don't have a neighbor with a larger SUC, truck, or trailer? is it just the box won't fit? You might consider getting it out of the box, and fitting it into your vehicle any way you can. Last resort, HD rents trucks pretty cheap (I think it's like $19 for the first 75 minutes).
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Hi John

Yup, my plan was to pick it up on saturday and rent a truck from Home Depot. My bigger concern is getting down into my basement.

I was hoping peeps would help me figure out how many part to break it down into......remove the top, remove the motor, yada yada yada

Thanks

George

BTW, I'm in Bergen County NJ

what's your access to the basement?

FWIW, I recently picked up the SS PCS. I was really concerned about how to get it into the basement - figured I'd end up removing the top and motor, etc. Then I figured I'd try a hand truck - secured it pretty well, and a friend of mine helped me ease it down (very slowly) no problem, step by step. I don't know if I'd have wanted to do it myself, but it is possible w/out totally disassembling it...
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

The crate contains a large metal shipping shell made of square tube steel.

The shell unbolts from the carrier frame, which the saw is mounted on. The legs, wheels, fence, rails, and granite table extensions are all in boxes fitted around the cabinet, which has the granite top already mounted.

I'm guessing the residual weight of the saw cabinet, motor & granite top are about 300lbs. It was not easy work, but my neighbor & I managed it with a sack truck/appliance dolly down the basement steps.

I bought a second one in the $299 sale, and managed to unbox it & move it off the bed of my truck on my own the other night (onto the upper part of the shipping shell). I think I could move it off that onto the ground without help, but to be safe, I will get help. It IS very heavy, and it IS awkwardly shaped. However, it's not SO heavy that it should frighten anyone who is sensible.

You could remove the granite top & motor, but then you'd need to align it all again, which is not something I'd want to do if there is another alternative. I believe there are shims between the table & cabinet too, so be careful you don't lose them if you go that route.

Good luck and enjoy!

Don't take the top off. Could be a pain getting it aligned again.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by George Farra View Post
    ... and keep the trunnion attached to the base? thoughts?
    Contractors style saw? I think the trunnion is attached to the top.

I once got a Delta Contractors saw into my basement with nothing more than a handtruck. And more recently, a Laguna 14" bandsaw. Same method, just strap it to the truck, and bounce it down, one step at a time. Take it slow so as not to hurt the machine, or yourself.

The PM 66 wern't so easy though.
    Last edited by Jeff Willard; 01-13-2010 at 9:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Don't take the top off. Could be a pain getting it aligned again.
    It is true, it will be a pain to get it aligned, however, I do not think you have another option if you want to take it down stairs. There is a good alignment guide over on the ridgid forums. Just dont do what I did and lose track of which shims went where.
    Last edited by Bob Haskett; 01-13-2010 at 9:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Willard View Post
    Contractors style saw? I think the trunnion is attached to the top.
    It is actually mounted to the cabinet in this particular saw.

I would either use an appliance dolly or strap it to the hand truck with a ratchet strap. Next what or your stairs like? Do you trust them with your weight plus the TS? If not would be a good time to pick up some 2X lumber to shore it up before taking a chance. Remember there is gonna be a good dynamic shock on the stairs each time you "drop" it down a step.

Trunnion is cabinet mounted, I,d take it out of the box and take it down in pieces until you get to the cabinet w/top attached, Then get a refrigerator style dolly and strap her down and get at least 1 more person to help get it down the steps. Good Luck

12. I did not bother with removing the top, the motor or anything else and took it down the basement myself.

You NEED a good dolly rated to handle several hundred LB.. Pneumatic wheels will be a blessing as they will absorb the shock as it goes down the steps. Also one or two GOOD ratcheting straps will be needed to keep it tight against the dolly.

Basically I sat FIRMLY on my rear and SLOWLY eased it down one step at a time leaning BACK with each step as to not allow it to tip forward at all, keeping it at 45 degrees.

So it is doable as a bulk unit.. At least if you have a damn the torpedoes, full speeh ahead attitude like I do..

Removing the top and motor will aid greatly however, but don't expect the top to be light enough to throw around. The main top will weight around 75-100lb alone.

It's best to have help... Bribe someone with beer.... AFTER it's down...

Oh.. I also had an "Oh crap!" strap wrapped around the dolly handle [that led up the stairs and was tied off somewhere] which I adjusted as I went down... Just incase it did start tipping forward.

Let it be known... My stairs were outside and went straight down into the basement.. If yours are inside, or turn... Good luck... And be very careful.
    Last edited by Scott Hildenbrand; 01-13-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Thanks everyone,

I'm going to call HD tomorrow and find out how much delivery would cost. I'm also going to rent an appliance dolly instead of a hand truck.

The staircase is not very long......about 10 feet of stairs, a landing w/ 90 degree turn, and another 10 feet of stairs. I suppose it makes sence to shore up the stairs with 2x4s to be safe.....as that is also a concern of mine

Thanks again

George

I have taken all my tools to the basement by myself (last one was an industrial Sawstop, all in all close to 700lb). I took it apart (top, wings, motor, trunnions, base, fence, etc). But your saw is much lighter. Just take off the top and wings and motor, the rest should be doable by one man.

As for alignment: you have to spend time aligning it anyway as the ones you buy from HD are rarely truely aligned.

BTW, Contratulations! it's a good saw at a great price!

Here are some assembly tips from the ridged forum on this saw.

Loren
    http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25089