Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newport Block Front Chest

Very nice piece, Dave, but where did you come up with 5-1/2" thick Mahogany? That size would be perfect for turned table pedestals, big turned bed posts, etc., where something a bit fatter than 16/4 would look better.

Absolutely gorgeouse piece. Excellent workmanship, nice finish, and great wood. How about some pictures of the inside and WIP?

Oh man....that kind of skill just leaves me lost. I wouldn't even know how to begin to think about making something so outstanding. Great job!

You might think that it is a little to Red but the Red really helps the dark wood stand out.

Great Job!!!
    Theo

Fantastic work, Dave!! I will go against the crowd and say that it is a bit red for me, as well. But, as you said, not your choice. The workmanship, however, is top rate - just excellent! Well done, and a beautiful piece.

The chest is beautiful, Dave and the workmanship is something for all of us to aspire to...very well done.

As for the color, well, it's too red for me personally but if Calvin says it's historically correct, then you nailed it...or the customer did.

BTW, I followed the thread over at WN and want to say thank you for the build details that you provided. It's always great to learn about the how with a great piece like this one.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Another beautiful piece of furniture Dave!
    Outstanding craftsmanship. And the carvings, wow.
    I agree with John with the color, but if the client is happy thats what counts...

Thanks for the look see....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Diaman View Post
    About 15 hours for all the shells
    Dave,

Very nice work.. Wow you figure it only took you only 15 hours to complete all three shells..

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Hobbs View Post
    Nice work, beautiful chest. I love the Newport block and shell furniture, I would like to build a kneehole desk one of these days. And there is much of this Newport furniture in museums that is every bit as red as yours, so I think your customer made a good choice. I really enjoy the period you work in and have admired many of your pieces.

Did you have a particular piece in mind for your reproduction, were you working of a plan or photograph? I am interested in how you came up with your dimensions, proportions, etc. Your blocking and shells are compact and gives the piece a vertical "springy" feel and looks great.

Thanks for posting, Cal.
    Calvin, I was working of drawings made from an original Edmond Townsend kneehole desk. I just took those drawing and adapted them into a chest. Here is the first one I built.

- Dave

Diamanwoodcrafters

Dave,

Beautiful chest! I love the feet, nice detail and form to them.

I also think the color turned out great.

Thanks for sharing.
    Josh