Thread: Help in choosing a class

Help in choosing a class

I am interested in taking a turning class. The problem is I really don't know what level turner I am. I have taken a day long class at my local Woodcraft and have done a fair number of pens, a few pepper mills, a couple of goblets etc. I am now interested in expanding my horizons a bit and turning green bowls and the like. The classes I am interested in are the ones offered by Craft Supplies USA. Has anyone taken their beginning or intermediate classes? Given limited time off what are people's thoughts on the 5 vs. 3 day classes? Alternately there is also the Utah Woodturning Symposium that I could attend instead or in addition. Does an event like that usually have content for beginning or intermediate turners?

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Why not call them and discuss it with an instructor?

I hope to attend one or more of their classes someday!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A big second on calling and talking to them or maybe even the instructor. Most class situations will realize that there are different skill levels and can adapt to your skill level. You do have basic skills, and are looking to refine them, and develop others.

robo hippy

Chris, I'm very much in favor of classes for turners of all levels, but expecially for beginners. I've been teaching woodturning for about 20 years, which, I think qualifies me to make some comments. Having taken only one class and done some spindle turning, you should take a beginners class. Too often, I've found, students get into more advanced classes than they should and are in over their heads.

My classes have for the most part been one day classes. I try to cover several things in that one day. Sharpening, a little on form in bowls, and tool technique, plus a lot of time is spent on discussions. The student will start with a rounded blank and will finish a 7 inch bowl in that one day. However, I've found that if a student returns later for a second class, they will have forgotten a lot of what they learned in the first class. Just too much to absorb. For that reason I suggest for a beginner a 3-day class instead of a 5-day class.

Get yourself a sketch book. Take a lot of notes, including a lot of drawings. Don't be a afraid to ask questions. Lots of them. And pay attention to the questions and the answers of the other students. Ask ahead of time about tools. Are they supplied at the class or will you need to bring your own. If it's the latter, ask for advice from the instructor on what to get. A good instructor will never suggest more than 3 or 4 at the most IMO. For beginners I much prefer a class that has good tools on hand for you to use.

Most of the classes at CS are large ones, so you'll receive only a certain amount of individual attention. If there is a turning club in your area, I suggest that you join. Ask around about qualified instructors in your area. If you take some lessons from a good teacher in a one on one basis, you can learn a lot more in less time. Each student is different. (My teaching is now only one on one in my own shop. The student gets my full attention)...(I'm not looking for more students, I have enough now)

Symposiums are great for learning up to a point. To really learn to use the tools you must have hands-on teaching.

Good luck and give us some reports on whatever you choose to do.

Wally
    Last edited by Wally Dickerman; 01-14-2010 at 1:14 PM.

Chris

If I remember right Sandy is within daily driving distance of Crafts Supply.

So if I was you I'd do both.

Your concern with your experience level is not shared by the typical student. When I took the 5 Utah 5 Class back in 2005 I thought I was getting pretty good. The first thing that happened was that I was shown a better way to sharpen and wow my skills and enjoyment increased five fold in a matter of moments. My class mates varied from a guy that had been a student at CS twice a year for 5 or 6 years to a Mother/Daughter team that had each turn a couple pens prior to signing up.

Pick an instructor that is dong a style of work you enjoy. OR just pick based on the class that fits your schedule. And go enjoy!

Symposiums you watch the instructor and learn, they are great but the enviroment offers what it offers. At a class the instructor will watch you and help you adjust to improve. Having an instructor 'hold your hand' so to speak is a very powerful learning method.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Thumbs up Ditto on Wally's comments

Chris,

If you're fortunate to have a local turning club, check them out. Mine's a great resource for one-on-one training, seminars, professional demos, tool discounts, wood sources, etc.

I've taken the beginner's class

Chris,

In 2002 or 2003 (I can't remember which), my wife and I took the 5 day beginner's class at Craft Supplies USA. I highly recommend it! By then end of the week we had turned the following: a weed pot, an egg, a goblet, a box, three bowls (one wet, one dry, and one Dale forced us to cut in half on the bandsaw), a table leg, and a platter. (I may have forgotten a project or two.) Each class turns a different set of projects, at the teacher's discretion and based on the desires of the students, but those are the types of projects you should expect to turn.

Each day started at 8:00 and finished at 5:00. We left exhausted and exhilarated at the end of each day.

In addition to the demonstrations and one-on-one instruction, Dale gave out several handouts covering safety rules, project instructions, finishing tips, etc. So, bring a notebook! The class had 8 students, each with his or her own lathe. In addition to Dale, Kirk DeHeer was on hand to assist Dale with teaching the class. Both Dale and Kirk were excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to take a class from either.

Before the class, I'd taken a one-day class at Woodcraft and had turned a few pens on my own. I felt the class was appropriate for someone of my level. Dale said there wasn't that much of a difference between the intermediate class and the "advanced" classes. He said they decided to offer the intermediate class because too many turners had expressed concerns that they weren't ready for an advanced class. The projects in the intermediate class are closer to those in the advanced class than they are the beginner's class -- if that helps you make up your mind between them.

HTH!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input it was all very helpful. I decided to go with the basic 3 day class. I will also try to check out a local turning club.

I very much appreciate the valuable insight you guys provided.

Chris

Try taking Mike Jackofsky's class at CS. He's a great teacher and has helped me on my turnings so much!
    well depending on the way I would travel, I'm roughly 2,340 miles to 2,529 miles away from the infamous STEVE SCHLUMPF!!!!