Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aww, man, why did you pull that post???

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Who is going to know if it is your real name?
    If someone stays anonomous with no profile, there is a good chance their name is not real either. Not always, but a good amount of the time.
    Yeah, but Amanda Huginkiss is pretty obviously fake and frankly rather disingenuous.

I don't think that it was Amanda who's thread was pulled. She may have had a post that was pulled. But, my money is on a different thread. Hint: It was prolly a guy, a very "board" guy!!

I don't know this for a fact. Still, that's my guess!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I don't think that it was Amanda who's thread was pulled. She may have had a post that was pulled. But, my money is on a different thread. Hint: It was prolly a guy, a very "board" guy!!

BINGO! Give the man a cigar!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Oh, that guy! The one that was truing to sell his wood here and on the turners forum?

I wish I had seen the offending post. I can always use a chuckle.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    I wish I had seen the offending post. I can always use a chuckle.
    Me too! Though I didn't see the offending post (well said, by the way!), after seeing several of his other posts, before and after being edited, it's likely that he offered some unsolicited advice to the mods. He may have even given them some directions and/or instructions .

Anyway, he's outta here. The odd thing is that he and others like him, if they used good judgment, could actually spend some time being a part of the community here and eventually word would get around that he/they offer a certain service or sell certain products. And, they could do so without violating the TOS.

Folks like him just don't get it. He blew a really good opportunity and probably doesn't understand how it happened. I think that the main thing that he didn't "get" is that it ain't his forum. He had fair warnings, (in a polite manner, no less!), of what isn't allowed. He chose to ignore them. His loss.

Of all the forums that I visit, SMC is the best forum to learn techniques and to get different points of view about particular tools, how to deal with certain challenges in the shop, how to make jigs, etc., etc. There are other good forums on the net, but nothing comes close, in my experience, as a place to learn. That's why I'm here!

It's also why I choose to be a contributor. Surely, my 10 or 20 bucks a year that I chip ain't gonna make a huge difference in the costs associated with keeping SMC up and running. On the other hand, it ain't gonna break me, either.

I can't count the number of times that people have gone out of their way to explain things to me, take photos of something to help me better understand how that something works, etc. They don't have to do it, they just do it 'cause they want to help someone learn. I've learned so much here, in fact, that now I'm able to return the favors, in my small way, not to the folks who've helped me but to others who are just learning. It's a community in the truest sense of the word, IMHO.

Forgive me if I've gotten off topic. One thought leads to another with scatter brained people like me!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Me too! Though I didn't see the offending post (well said, by the way!), after seeing several of his other posts, before and after being edited, it's likely that he offered some unsolicited advice to the mods. He may have even given them some directions and/or instructions .

Anyway, he's outta here. The odd thing is that he and others like him, if they used good judgment, could actually spend some time being a part of the community here and eventually word would get around that he/they offer a certain service or sell certain products. And, they could do so without violating the TOS.

Folks like him just don't get it. He blew a really good opportunity and probably doesn't understand how it happened. I think that the main thing that he didn't "get" is that it ain't his forum. He had fair warnings, (in a polite manner, no less!), of what isn't allowed. He chose to ignore them. His loss.

Of all the forums that I visit, SMC is the best forum to learn techniques and to get different points of view about particular tools, how to deal with certain challenges in the shop, how to make jigs, etc., etc. There are other good forums on the net, but nothing comes close, in my experience, as a place to learn. That's why I'm here!

It's also why I choose to be a contributor. Surely, my 10 or 20 bucks a year that I chip ain't gonna make a huge difference in the costs associated with keeping SMC up and running. On the other hand, it ain't gonna break me, either.

I can't count the number of times that people have gone out of their way to explain things to me, take photos of something to help me better understand how that something works, etc. They don't have to do it, they just do it 'cause they want to help someone learn. I've learned so much here, in fact, that now I'm able to return the favors, in my small way, not to the folks who've helped me but to others who are just learning. It's a community in the truest sense of the word, IMHO.

Forgive me if I've gotten off topic. One thought leads to another with scatter brained people like me!
    Well said Stephen, you’re right on all counts.
    He just didn’t get it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

+1. Very well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Sollars View Post
    i was going to ask.....''don't we have to use real names here...''
    What would you do if the following guy signed up?

Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-17-2010 at 9:15 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wetzel View Post
    What would you do if the following guy signed up?

Haha! That must be one of Palin's kids. Could be a real name because some parents are those sorts of people. Of course Amanda Hugnkiss definitely wasn't a real name.
    Last edited by Brian Effinger; 01-17-2010 at 9:11 PM. Reason: Removed link from quote
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    Haha! That must be one of Palin's kids. Could be a real name because some parents are those sorts of people. Of course Amanda Hugnkiss definitely wasn't a real name.

DON'T CLICK THAT LINK! As soon as I went to that site, there was an instant attempt to hack into my computer.

MODS - you may want to remove that link.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    DON'T CLICK THAT LINK! As soon as I went to that site, there was an instant attempt to hack into my computer.

MODS - you may want to remove that link.
    Thanks for the head's up. I removed it from my post, but the mods will have to remove from the other. It didn't do that when I clicked Michaels link earlier today. Maybe I closed it too fast for the threat.

You must have some really crappy AV s/w installed. Hockeydb is the main hockey statistics site for pro hockey players.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wetzel View Post
    You must have some really crappy AV s/w installed. Hockeydb is the main hockey statistics site for pro hockey players.

No, it's good software. I would hazard a guess that the hacker had some type of trap set up on the hockeydb site that allowed them to respond.