Thread: Thein baffle question...

Thein baffle question...

I have a Jet 2hp 1200CFM DC with an aftermarket pleated cannister on top.

The pleated cannister seems to get clogged with fine dust way to quick.

I read a few posts about the Thein baffle and would like to install one to see if I can get better separation.

First of all, will it work with my system without getting a new filter?

And second, a few questions about the construction...

I understand how to make the bottom baffle...it's the top baffle that has me a bit "baffled"...and how big the hole in the middle needs to be?

My best guess is that it is an arbitrary diameter determined by the space needed for the dowels (or other verticals) that connect to the bottom baffle to clear the fins on the inside of the ring...

Is that right, or is there a specific diameter for the cutout in the top baffle?

Then, I presume, I can just put the cannister back on top as before.

How am I doin' so far???

Will it work?

Thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Garner; 01-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.

I have a Jet dust collector with an aftermarket Wynn cannister filter. The filter pleats would pack with sawdust and had to be cleaned each time I emptied the bag. I made a baffle and it made a significant difference at the next bag change. I do not have the equipment to measure its impact on airflow, but I don't notice a difference.

I don't completely understand all of your construction questions--my "baffle" is just a disk of plywood that doesn't go all the way to the edge around 2/3 of the circle, suspended below the sloped metal shelf and just above the bag ring by 3 dowels. I attach the cannister using a piece of allthread bolted through the center of the baffle.

Derek

Hey Derek,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you've connected the bottom "thein style" baffle directly to the canister with an allthread?

So you don't have any type of baffle above the fins but below the canister...correct?

Any chance you took a few pics before you put it back togehter?

Thanks
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Garner; 01-15-2010 at 1:40 AM.

Maybe this will help - I used a piece of aluminum that was laying around but plywood would work too:

Phil Thein has a site too for more info

I have only built a Thein separator, not the baffle, so I can't help much there, but Phil Thein does have a forum for his designs, and there is a TON of info there on this that should help perfectly!

Mike and Howard,

Thanks for pics and info.
    Looks like all I need is the bottom Thein style baffle and then just reinstall the cannister as before.
    Mike, do you have a pic of your unit finished?
    Looks like yours could be a Jet by color.
    What filter do you use on top?

Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Rick

If you haven't seen it, here's my version of the Thien baffle. Well worth doing
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ighlight=Thien

I'm a little confused, does the Thien baffle go on the bottom, next to the collection bag or on the top, next to the filter? I thought it went on the bottom, but when looking at some of the pictures I'm not so sure. I think I'm going to make one for my Harbor Freight dust collector this week end, so it would be nice to know for certain.

Thank you,

Brian Walter

Baffle Issue

I believe you only need to install the bottom baffle on any typical dust collector. The top baffle is already supplied by the manufacturer. I've got a HF collector with a pleated filter pulled tight to the 'top baffle'. I intend to put a Thein baffle below it to improve separation.

So is the main problem that the Thien baffle addresses if you build it into the dust collector between the top and bottom bag/can and top bag/filter what Phil calls scrubbing?

Have you thought about adding this too the filter?

http://www.wynnenv.com/paddle_cleaner.htm

When I finally get the filter and assemble a baffle, I will add this too the filter.

Matt Schnurbusch Guest

Not seen your implementation before

When I built my Thien Baffle/separator I used a 55 gallon drum. I run my DC through the barrel and then to my machines. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of my setup yet, but I can say that it works. If you want a look at a similar setup check this out.

Emptying or changing the bag on my DC (a delta AP400) is a bit of a PITA. With the separator installed it takes seconds to disconnect, and reconnect. I have not had to touch the bottom bag on my system since I did the install.

The Thien baffle is good at separating dust/chips but it is NOT good with the big stuffs (think long shavings, paper, plastic bags...). If those accidentally got sucked in, turn off the DC immediately and pull them out. Otherwise, they may stuck in the upper part of the baffle and render the dust/chip separation activity to nil.