Thread: Looking for 1 5/8" spade bit to drill through treated 4x4's

Looking for 1 5/8" spade bit to drill through treated 4x4's

My dad and I have a business selling storage sheds and to secure them to our trailer we drill 1 1/2 inch holes through the 4x4's. However, they are extremely tight for our chain.

We would like to drill 1 5/8" holes but can only find forstner bits which don't work that well in wet green treat 4x4's.

Any sources?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I'm sure that Irwin and similar companies probably make the spade bit you're looking for. McMaster-Carr is a good source for stuff like that.

A ship auger would be even better!

http://www.mcmaster.com/#spade-drill-bits/=5dwq3y

Brace for the sticker shock ...

Ouch, yeah those are a little pricey to be drilling through construction lumber.

We have looked at the self feeding bit's but haven't been able to find the right size. If we go with 1 3/4" it's a little too large..
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I guess I lied....Irwin stops their spade bits at 1-1/2".

Here's a self-feeding forstner-type bit like the ones plumbers use for boring through joists. Might work...1-3/4". Very agressive and will run as fast or faster than a spade bit through dimension lumber. Kind of short though.
    http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/...rwinProd310004

Here's what I'd use...
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#2818a25/=5dwyf7

You replied while I was typing. None of what I posted is 1-5/8"...All 1/8" bigger.

Blog Entries
    Try an Irwin 47326 Ship Auger or 1-5/8 ship auger or Power Plus Annihilator

There may be others as well.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-15-2010 at 11:04 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Sudmeier View Post
    My dad and I have a business selling storage sheds and to secure them to our trailer we drill 1 1/2 inch holes through the 4x4's. However, they are extremely tight for our chain.

We would like to drill 1 5/8" holes but can only find forstner bits which don't work that well in wet green treat 4x4's.

Any sources?
    Jeff - what about drilling 4 smaller holes (maybe 1/2) that would be the corners of a square (whatever size you want), and use a sawzall or jigsaw to cut out the hole?
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

What about slightly smaller chain?