Thread: Kid's bookshelf - Seen one like this?

Kid's bookshelf - Seen one like this?

I am building my son a bookshelf for his room and was looking for ideas.

If you have an idea for an oak bookshelf please share.

Otherwise, any ideas on how to implement this style of bookcase in wood?

I would build drawers for the bottom, but I like storing the books vertically so you can tell what book you want to read.

Just can't picture how to do it in wood?
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Actually, what is shown in the pic is very practical. Looks like the ends are 12" and the closet rods are about 32" and the canvas/burlap has sewn pockets for the big dowels. Pop the canvas off for cleaning just like a boat sail.

Your son will know every book he has by the color of the spine. Go for storage capacity.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My wife runs a daycare and I boughtg a commercial wood unit similar to this for an amazingly cheap price and repainted it. However befor |I bought it I was working on how to build one and it really wouldn't be that bad.

3/4" ply for the ends, 1\4" ply for the backs, and 1\2 or 3\4" ply for the "shelves"

The "shelves" are 2" deep by however wide you want the case, say 36".

The 1/4" backs are 12" by 36"

Attache the Shelves to the backs to create an "L" shape 2 1/4 deep X 12" tall and 36" wide.

Do this for as many shelves as you want.

then attach the front of each unit to the rear of the upright of the next about 2" down from the top. Once you reach the desired size put on the 3\4" end panels and trim/finish as desired.

|
    |
    |
    |__|
    .....|
    .....|
    .....|__|
    ..........|
    ..........|
    ..........|__|

The one we have is about 4' high and 4' wide and stores a "ton" of books.

If you want pictures or anything I will see what I can do...just ask via PM.

Derek

The wood part wouldn't be that bad. The hard part would be getting that canvas right. From looking at the picture I think each level is a little deeper than the lower one so larger books can be stored. That would be fun to figure out

6. My sons books would never all fit on that.. He's got a 4.5' by 3' bookcase full and he's only 4. And yes, he's been read every one.. In fact, several he picks up and reads himself anymore.