Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: never agaian will anybody borrow ANYTHING

Blog Entries
    If I can't live without the item to be borrowed, don't loan it out. I always assume if I loan it out, I will not see it again.

Question for me is... Can the relationship be maintained if something goes wrong.

I've lost some tools, golf clubs and books but lending them out. I've yet had a item be more important to me than a friendship.
    Have a Nice Day!

I had a guy that borrowed my scaffolding in July one year. I called him at the end of the year to return it and he said he couldn't tomorrow. I finally sent him a bill in May for the rental and he promptly returned it while I was gone and he left me a note saying that he was going to charge me storage of the scaffolding that he didn't return. Nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    Thats a shame. I loan and borrow things all the time without incident.

I one time loaned my Bostitch roofing nailer to a waitress. Her husband was doing they're roof with rental tools but didn't quite finish over the weekend and was going to have to rent the gun the following weekend to do just a small amount of roof.

I had never seen this woman before and have no idea how we got on the subject of her roof but the house was on the way from my house on a road I usually travel

so I dropped it off and picked it up a week later. No problems.

Most people would probably say that was pretty foolish.

But I doubt I would ever let anyone have access to my shop. a hand tool is one thing. My shop tools are quite different.
    I wouldn't say that was foolish. I'd say she must have been good looking!

Bryan

I got caught in the middle of something like that.

I stored a friends direct drive table saw in my garage and got to use it when needed.

The owner (not me) then sub-lent it to a mutual friend. The mutual friend came to get the saw and asked to borrow my roller stand as an outfeed.

6 months later we were at the mutual friends house doing something and I saw the roller stand and brought it out of the basement to bring home with me. I forgot to bring it when we left and have never seen it again. He eventually moved to Pittsburgh PA, so keep your eyes open for my roller stand.

On another note, the table saw owner needed his saw one time and I had inadvertantly put the security chain on the back door, so he couldn't get into the house to get his saw. I said I was surprised he didn't kick the door in to get his saw. He wasn't put out at all, he said he just did the sut another way.

Cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Koch View Post
    I had a guy that borrowed my scaffolding in July one year. I called him at the end of the year to return it and he said he couldn't tomorrow. I finally sent him a bill in May for the rental and he promptly returned it while I was gone and he left me a note saying that he was going to charge me storage of the scaffolding that he didn't return. Nice guy.
    You have got to be kidding me! Some people just don't get it.