Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: never agaian will anybody borrow ANYTHING

DejaVu

The fairest policy is recommend a rental company,if any damage occurs while the tool is being used,guess who pays the damages.DON'T LEND ANYTHING,tools,money,car,etc..This is absolutely the best policy,keeps your blood pressure in check and your life simple.If you feel bad about turning them down,give them a gift certificate to Harbor Freight.

Ed

Become a contributor for less than$.02 a day

I learned an important lesson many years ago in kindergarden when I loaned a fellow class mate one of my crayons. I finally got it back some time in the first grade when I found it worn down 1/2 way in his crayon box, my mother had marked my name on it.

I will only loan tools to people I know will treat them as good, or better than I will, and even still I won't let them out of my sight for very long.

But even still my Starett combination square ended up on the floor when I let somebody use it.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 01-15-2010 at 3:28 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Anything that I use a lot or cost me a good hunk of change doesnt get loaned out. Often I have less expensive/ used/ cheap beaters hanging around that I will give to whoever asks. That way I get to be a nice guy, I get to keep my stuff, I dont have to worry about getting it back and I free up space in the shop.

I have, on occasion, very reluctantly let one of my boys wonder off with something but they know I will hold them 110% responsible for it and they know they better bring it back undamaged and in a timely fashion.

I am getting older but I think that in the back of their minds somewhere they think dad can still kick their butts and dont want find out for sure. lol
    Willing to consider trades for Native American Artifacts (arrowheads and such) - Peace!

If the pressure washer was left out frozen, most likely the pump is toast. Unless you have a high end unit (800+) it will cost more to fix than the washer is worth.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I never ask to borrow tools. I wait until LOML needs something fixed/made what ever, then I have a good excuse to buy that tool.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I learned an important lesson many years ago in kindergarden when I loaned a fellow class mate one of my crayons. I finally got it back some time in the first grade when I found it worn down 1/2 way in his crayon box, my mother had marked my name on it.
    Oh, WOW! That was YOU????

Sorry, man.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    Oh, WOW! That was YOU????

Sorry, man.
    I wasn't going to say anything...
    "It's Not About You."

Thats a shame. I loan and borrow things all the time without incident.

I one time loaned my Bostitch roofing nailer to a waitress. Her husband was doing they're roof with rental tools but didn't quite finish over the weekend and was going to have to rent the gun the following weekend to do just a small amount of roof.

I had never seen this woman before and have no idea how we got on the subject of her roof but the house was on the way from my house on a road I usually travel

so I dropped it off and picked it up a week later. No problems.

Most people would probably say that was pretty foolish.

But I doubt I would ever let anyone have access to my shop. a hand tool is one thing. My shop tools are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    Thats a shame. I loan and borrow things all the time without incident.

I one time loaned my Bostitch roofing nailer to a waitress. Her husband was doing they're roof with rental tools but didn't quite finish over the weekend and was going to have to rent the gun the following weekend to do just a small amount of roof.

I had never seen this woman before and have no idea how we got on the subject of her roof but the house was on the way from my house on a road I usually travel

so I dropped it off and picked it up a week later. No problems.

Most people would probably say that was pretty foolish.

But I doubt I would ever let anyone have access to my shop. a hand tool is one thing. My shop tools are quite different.

there in lies my problem. i have alot of folks i loan stuff to and never have any real problems. im just goona tell the dude to either replace or fix my stuff(that dont mean tape the chords back together) a.s.a.p cause i got a project underway at my rental house and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Finch View Post
    there in lies my problem. i have alot of folks i loan stuff to and never have any real problems. im just goona tell the dude to either replace or fix my stuff(that dont mean tape the chords back together) a.s.a.p cause i got a project underway at my rental house and see how it goes
    Yea;
    It only takes one bad apple to spoil a pie, or something like that. The guy you tried to help probably just doesn't know any better.

I agree with you. He should fix your tools. And making him do so may teach him to be a little more careful next time he borrows something.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Finch View Post
    ( very nice guy lives about 1/2 mile away so why not)
    You're way too kind, Joe.

Actions speak louder than words. (He’s not really a very nice guy.)

To say he's just a Dumb A$$ and doesn't know any better would be giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Suggestion: Print this thread and have him read it while you’re standing there if he doesn’t hand you a blank check to atone for his sins.

Get a security deposit to cover the cost of a new exact replacement. If it comes back like you gave it to someone, they get their money back. If not, they keep the broke tool and you keep the money.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Not fond of loaning out anything, unless it is dirt-cheap to begin with. My boss asked to borrow my truck to haul off a downed tree; I offered to help move the tree with my truck and trailer. Completed the task with 2 trips to the dump and got treated to lunch afterwards. It must be an un-written rule somewhere that if you own a truck, it is OK for anyone to ask to borrow it.
    Feel the same way about my tools.

I only loan my tools to family, or a few select friends, unless it is something indestructible, like a sledge hammer (Wait! That one came back with a fiberglass handle damaged by an overstrike.). I have had pretty good luck. Actually, like Wakahisa, my biggest problem is remembering whether I misplaced, or loaned out the tool, and to who.

For years, I reminded my brother to return a tool, only to find it one day, right where I put it. He insisted he didn't have it, but I never believed him.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be. Burned too many times. I know why these folks must borrow; they broke theirs. I said "never again" a long time ago and still stick to it except . . . . in a momentary lapse, I lent my neighbor my good jigsaw just the other day. He needed it for 15 minutes . . . it came back fine, on time, as promised. I was nervous the whole time. Its not worth the stress.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler