Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Those Rascally Rabbets…

I have a piece of beech I squared up from the front section of a rather abused and dryrotted old trying plane I picked up for I think $3 that I am going to make a skew angle shoot board plane from with a laid on iron from an old coffin smooth plane I got for I think $5 that the side was split out on. I am going to use my new to me tailed Miter Saw to cut the mouth out for it. it will be at a 45 too.

I am still debating where to place the handle, I think I will position it over the blade and back just a bit.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Rabbet Spokeshaves and more

Here are pictures of Stanley 67 Rabbet spokeshaves (1 flat, 1 round bottom), One 2 1/4" brass spokeshave (unknown maker). 1 double bladed finger shave, (unknown maker). A group of metal rabbet planes Stanley 78 (modified), Craftsman, Record 778. Another view of Stanley 78 showing modification into dovetail plane by addition of angled sole and reground blade. (Still working on this one!) A group of wooden rabbets.

Eric

Spoke.jpg

Metal.jpg

78Mod.jpg

Wood.jpg

What do you guys think about the skew block planes? I borrowed a miller's falls #7 from a friend and couldn't get it to work satisfactorily at all on long grain. The front and back were out by a few thousandths too. The only time i could get it to work was when i really cranked the side plate on there, and that kind of took away half the purpose of the plane. i gave it back to him pretty quickly. i really want to love the plane - it has got a skewed cutter, it can rabbet, it has a cool removable side plate, and you can get fences for some on them. that sounds like it should be a home run- but i was really disappointed with the 7.

Something I've always wondered - if you have a 10 1/2 or similar what's the purpose of the lateral adjuster? If you're working to close up the mouth for a parellel cut and use the adjuster (typical with normal plane use) it pushes the iron to one side or the other and you don't have a flat cut to the side. Takes a lot of fiddling to get it right, to the point where I usually put it down and grab a woodie. Just my two cents.

-- John
    "No matter where you go, there you are" -- Buckaroo Banzai

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    What do you guys think about the skew block planes? I borrowed a miller's falls #7 from a friend and couldn't get it to work satisfactorily at all on long grain. The front and back were out by a few thousandths too. The only time i could get it to work was when i really cranked the side plate on there, and that kind of took away half the purpose of the plane. i gave it back to him pretty quickly. i really want to love the plane - it has got a skewed cutter, it can rabbet, it has a cool removable side plate, and you can get fences for some on them. that sounds like it should be a home run- but i was really disappointed with the 7.
    Sounds like it may need more than a few laps on a plate to take off the excess weight.

My experience with low angle bevel up on long grain has me wondering if
    it was meant for this.

jim
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-21-2010 at 1:16 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

jim i thought the 140 was a standard angle block

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    jim i thought the 140 was a standard angle block
    You are right, the cutter is bedded at 20°.

If you look at Blood & Gore, he mentions problems with the sole not always being co-planer. That may be why mine does not do well running with the grain. I have not done much more to mine than get the blade sharpened at the correct angle for the skew.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)