Thread: Is this Bubinga?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Is this Bubinga?

Maybe this should be on the "Support" forum, but this one typically get more "hits". So, here it is. A friend of mine (Yeah, I still have one after my dog died... ) brought this chunk of wood over Thursday. He says he got it from a guy who's in the shipping business and this came out of a trailer or container, originally built in Africa. The piece originally was about 6-3/4" wide by @54" long. On either long side, there was a dado cut to about 1/2 its thickness and @1/2" wide. There were a couple streaks perpendicular to the board's length, which appeared to be rust, indicating prolonged contact with metal. This board is Heavy, with a capitol "H"! The rusty streaks cleaned up quite easily with just a couple passes through the planer. Also, very, very minimal cupping and the board is darn-near dead flat. The grain is extremely dense, but "open", almost like very tight Oak grain. Also, the grain is very straight. Another thing I noted was that it's extremely easy to pick up very minute slivers and, even after planing, the surface has a very fine "steel wool" feel to it. However, a quick pass with a ROS and it's as smooth as a baby's bottom. I'm figuring it kinda' looks like Bubinga, though it's not as dark as the Bubinga I've seen. I've attached a pic to see if anyone has any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!