Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titebond III Failure

Titebond III Failure

I am not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I have had a couple of glue failures with TBIII.
    We have had some fairly cold weather (for us) here in Central Texas over the last month. I edge glued some oak, and was cutting a DT on one of the pieces when the joint failed. The joint looked kind of funny (chalky?)

Yesterday I glued a piece of mesquite which had failed along a crack. After leaving it overnight (about 15 hours of clamp time), when I removed the clamps, it very easily failed again with just putting light hand pressure on it. The temperature here yesterday was around 60, and maybe got down to 50 overnight.

My question is:
    1. Do you think my glue failures are due to the cold weather?
    2. If TBIII sees temperatures below freezing, does that ruin it?
    3. What do you guys up north with no heat in your shop, do with your glue; take it inside at night?

I appreciate all input in advance.

Tom

Tom, I read some where,( FWW, Feb.2010 No.210) that Tite Bond III is good down to 47 degres, and Gorilla down to 40. but I dont know if it is affected by freezing. Is you glue old, like more than a year or two? I also read some where that old glue some time don't perform as supposed, if the consistency is not even or have some lumps or granuls like stuf in it!?!

TiteBond III will adhere down to 47*......no lower.

A general rule of thumb is glue has a shelf life of 1 year, but it certainly can go longer (my guess is at least another 6 months+) if kept inside your home. When you buy a bottle of glue write the mm/yy on the bottle with a Sharpie. I always keep my glue inside the house.

Chalky type residue.........certainly seems like the glue is bad or got too cold.

I have used titebond III for outdoor projects here in Nova Scotia, and we have plenty of freeze/thaw cycles. I haven't had issues so far. It sounds to me like the conditions aren't right for the glue to set up properly, or that the bottle of glue froze during storage at some point. I would contact the company as I'm sure they would be the best diagnosticians (is that a word?)

Blog Entries
    I have had problems if the glue freezes or gets too cold before use.

I have many things that once glued the cold does not bother them.

During the cold season, the glue and the gluing come into the house where it is much warmer than my shop.

I can and have worked in the shop with the temp in the teens. Even epoxy slows at those temps.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just read on TB's site that it shouldn't hurt it to freeze. Think I will throw it out and use another bottle.
    They also refer to a "chalk temperature" of 47 F. Don't know what that means.

A chalky appearance indicates the glue got too cold during use (chalk temperature).

Titebond can tolerate some freeze/thaw cycles in storage. As long as the glue looks and smells normal it is ok. Goes for age, too. If it appears normal, it's useable.
    If it's clumpy, stringy or has changed color or smells rancid it's time to trash it.
    With TB3 you can get some thickening if it's been sitting for a while. Mix it by shaking or stirring and it should return to normal. If it stays thick or clumpy it's gone bad.

Tom, I just had a failure yesterday with TB III. I was gluing 2" pieces of Purple Heart and it separated at the seam.

Sorry Gents, it was TB II (the blue label). Don't know if that changes much except the minimum temperature is 55 F, instead of 47 F.
    I just reglued the piece using a different, older bottle of TB II. I will report back.

Glue failure

How old (for sure)was the glue? Titebond,all types is pretty good stuff.

Ed

Become a contributor for less than $.02 a day

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Tom,

As a general rule I have always been told to avoid freezing any glues or finishes, although I know certain types can tolerate the freezing. I know from personal experience that TB III will not fail due to cold or moisture once it has cured. My cedar benches are going on 5 yrs without a wiggle and there are no screws in them.

Suggest that you get fresh glue and keep the temps up until the glue has fully cured.

Good luck

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Winship View Post
    3. What do you guys up north with no heat in your shop, do with your glue; take it inside at night?
    Buy an old electric blanket from Goodwill, and use it to keep your glueups at 70 degrees F or warmer overnight. A sheet of plastic in between works as a slipsheet to protect the blanket.

And a simple drying box heated by a hundred-watt light bulb serves as a place to protect sensitive shop supplies from freezing in an unheated shop, as well as a place to cure finishes on small items.

Also consider using more appropriate glues like UF plastic resin or hot hide glue for traditional work. Unlike modern aliphatics, both are easily reglued when your work is restored long after you are gone, and neither is prone to either creeping under load or interfering with staining. That so many go to so much trouble dimensioning and joining stock by traditional methods then follow up by using glues designed for cheap throwaways is an irony worth rethinking.

Are Your Glue Joints Repairable?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21822
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

[QUOTE=Ed Griner;1315052]How old (for sure)was the glue? Titebond,all types is pretty good stuff.

Ed

I have had it less than 3 months. Got it at a box store. Don't know how long they have had it.

Another Thought

Tom, Maybe to minimize guessing, you could bring the wood and the glue inside for a day or two before final glue up. Good Luck/Ed

I have had the same experience. I like Tightbond II, Tightbond III has failed on me and ruined some fairly nice precision work and some fairly expensive wood. Even when it fails, it makes wood impossible to glue, so failure is a real nightmare. Because I don't know what the results of Tightbond III will be, and because two out of three bottles were bad, I have no trust for them. It expires, they know it expires, and there is no date readily visible when I buy it?

That said, if you are making a table for gluing up, or want to protect wooden clamps used for gluing, take advantage of the gluing properties of Tightbond II. Dilute it 1 part of glue to three parts water and paint wooden surfaces that you want to be immune to glue. It makes a really tough, off yellow finish, that survives weather and resists glue. I wax it just to be sure, but then it seems to be the easiest surface to remove glue from that I have found.

Bob Smalser's article, the one he mentions here, is one of the best and most important articles on glue behavior that I have read. Since I read his article, I have switched to epoxies for most weather resistant work, and Resorcinol for joints that had to be as strong as I could possibly make them.

I still love hide glue the best, instant gluing, drawing in and tightening, and unmatched ability to remove and reglue.

Bob